Need help identifying these bullets for certain....

KingTotsalot

Official Tot Lot King
Forum Supporter
Mabelvale, south of Little Rock, Arkansas
KT went to examine and evaluate a rock collection this afternoon. After finishing up, the owner asked if KT would like to have anything for his time, a specimen or whatever...

Well, His Majesty had come across a small envelop marked .58 3 ring Enfield, Jenkins Ferry, Ark. July 30, 1864. Inside were 2 rounds...to KT they appear to be drops, not fired rounds, but a more knowledgeable collector may need to educate KT.

KT weighed each one...3-ringer is 31.36 grams and measures ~14 mm in diameter and 1 inch long, the non-ringer weighed 34.08 grams, with the same other measurements, 14 mm diameter and 1 inch long.

Both bases are hollow, see pics with ruler and bases exposed.

Any info would be appreciated. The white lead oxidation looks correct for CW rounds...just looking for more assistance and confirmation.

Here is a bit of history: The Battle of Jenkins' Ferry was fought April 30, 1864, in Grant County, Arkansas during the American Civil War. It was the climactic battle of the Camden Expedition, which was a part of the Union Army’s failed Red River Campaign. Each side sustained a large number of casualties, especially considering the size of the respective forces, and a general was killed on each side. As a result of the battle, the Union force was able to complete a successful retreat from a precarious position at Camden, Arkansas to their defenses at Little Rock, Arkansas.

So KT knows the label had an incorrect date, but is the 3 ringer a .58 Enfield, and what is the other round? Also an Enfield but maybe field cast??

Not exactly a MD find, but KT was happy to "find" them and add to His meager CW collection from Arkansas! Thanks for ANY help!

To read the entire article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Jenkins'_Ferry

Attachments

• Jenkins Ferry AR Enfield rounds, maybe 1.JPG
    Jenkins Ferry AR Enfield rounds, maybe 1.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 936
  • Jenkins Ferry AR Enfield rounds, maybe 2.JPG
    Jenkins Ferry AR Enfield rounds, maybe 2.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 935
Good score, King! The bullet on the left is a standard .58 caliber Minnie ball and the one on the right is a .577 Enfield. Both of the these rounds could be fired from the 1861 Springfield rifle. I can't tell by the pictures, but be sure and look inside the base of both and see if you see any markings of any kind. Some of the Enfield bullets have a 57 in the bottom of the cavity; and some of the .58 caliber Minnie's have a star, US, or 5 or 6 spokes. Most of both types have plain cavities, but look to make sure. Congrats, you probably have a bullet from both sides; the .58 is normally Union and the Enfield is Confederate. Here is a link you might want to read:
http://www.blueandgrey.zoomshare.com/1.html

Attachments

• swags.jpg
    swags.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 877
Thanks guys, thought I was the only one who hadn't found one .:laughing:

No I think we are members of a pretty big club. :laughing::laughing::laughing:
We are kind if limited to finding whatever was shot or dropped. Guess each regional area has it's common finds and it's uncommon. Good luck MoBob. I dug with hammer and chisel today... I have new respect for all the diggers up north.

Nothing wrong with adding some relics to your collection! Maybe you can go on a relic hunt sometime!

I'll warn you though....it's addicting! :yes:

Thanks all for the very helpful comments! And thanks for the link! FYI, no markings on either of the back ends of these rounds, darn it! :no: But they are good examples from Arkansas so KT is a Royal Happy Camper! :laughing::laughing:

Always good to keep yer eyes open when out and about. Location means a lot to me cause they are Arkansas CW relics.

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom