Was hating my 800.

I had so much chatter I couldn't even use it Noisy and numbers jumping everywhere, I was getting upset and thought WOW,$900 I got f'd. I threw a penny on the ground and could see it, but I wouldn't even know where to dig.

Thanks for the video although I never get chatter or EMI problems. But knowledges power thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good post. The gigmaster has some good info in his vids. My phone causes temporary "giggle fits" on the 800, so I just stopped carrying the phone while detecting. I guess airplane mode would work, so I can carry it again. Thanks for posting this.
EMI from power lines or street lighting can be problematic, too. Mostly I can minimize the noise by dropping sensitivity a bit, or trying the other frequencies. Sometimes it's just bad no matter what I try. Then I either leave, or work through the noise.

I should try this...every now and then my 800 would yell at me like that....

but, I'm wondering what emission is causing it...bluetooth, cellular, wifi? I'd like to still have my phone on my and active...I'll have to do some testing

I should try this...every now and then my 800 would yell at me like that....

but, I'm wondering what emission is causing it...bluetooth, cellular, wifi? I'd like to still have my phone on my and active...I'll have to do some testing

I noticed the same with me too. Just for maybe like 10 seconds or so. Never did it before, but I did just do a recent android update on my phone. I also carry my phone on the same side I swing the detector. I'm going to try carrying it on my left side away from the detector and see what happens.

THE number one enemy of my CTX is EMI,without a doubt,end of story. If I cannot run smoothly at Manual 18 or higher I am most likely going to walk away. Great to hear it didn’t get “ curly cued” around a tree...:lol:

WOW! I'm so glad you posted this video on account of this is exactly what has been going on with me! Not all the time, but on every hunt, all of a sudden, my rig would go into a chattering fit! I would then reduce my sens down to about 10 and it would go away...I knew I was not running max depth, which was a bummer on the sand, but hey, I was running......

So after watching the vid this am, I went out, set my phone on That 'airplane' mode and got on the black sand and Man!...What a difference!!

I dont know why I never considered the Cell Phone interference...Theres enough posts written about it!

Very good of you to post this DTC!

Last edited:
I think you have a defective unit send it to me and I will take it off your hand in return I will send you my xterra 705 so you have a detectot that wont have this issue:D

I had similar issues on three straight hunts, It would start out working fine and about 15 or 20 minutes in it would go bonkers, completely unusable. I sent it in to Minelab and they powered it up, left it on for a couple hours and said they couldn't find anything wrong with it. When It came back I took it out and it went bonkers right away, I shut it down and powered up again did a quick noise cancel and it ran fine, hunted about an hour with no problems. I had about 100 trouble free hours to start out but now I have very little confidence in it. I doubt the weather will allow me anymore hunts this year so I guess I will know more in the spring.

WOW! I'm so glad you posted this video on account of this is exactly what has been going on with me! Not all the time, but on every hunt, all of a sudden, my rig would go into a chattering fit! I would then reduce my sens down to about 10 and it would go away...I knew I was not running max depth, which was a bummer on the sand, but hey, I was running......

So after watching the vid this am, I went out, set my phone on That 'airplane' mode and got on the black sand and Man!...What a difference!!

I dont know why I never considered the Cell Phone interference...Theres enough posts written about it!

Very good of you to post this DTC!

I haven't read any threads on cell interference, but man I couldn't even use my detector. Today after work I left the phone in the house and checked my yard for a few minutes. WOW, I could actually use my detector The cell phone makes the detector unusable. I'm glad it helped you.

Back
Top Bottom