Equinox 800 Is Way Too Nose-Heavy....

Congrats on the CC Seated Dime...excellent dig!

Thanks Captain! It never gets old seeing any silver, but the older stuff is a special thrill!

Because of those same conditions Ben I prefer to keep a grass carpet between my feet and the dirt. Still after a few plugs the dirt still finds a way to build around the boots. Congrats on the Seated CC Dime and your first "Nox" Silver. Trapper

Thanks, Trapper! Oh, I generally agree when it comes to avoiding mud - I'll usually turn tail and retreat to a park or something if the fields are that bad, but I guess I was getting desperate to get into that field with the new machine before it freezes for the year!

Hey Dummy! You could always bag your coil as well as your shoes!..then just step out of the mud blobs and leave them behind? You know this! :laughing:

Lol, good idea...especially since my wife has 100's of Walmart bags. Some cheap tape and a bunch of bags (probably would last long), and I'm off to the mud!

Jeez, I should've thought of that! We've got a stockpile of about a thousand Walmart/Kroger/Meijer bags for clearing our hound's never ending supply of landmines during walks, so it'd be a breeze to pilfer a few for emergency muck duty instead of doody duty. My only worry is that Kroger and W-M have been cheaping out on their bags lately - they can barely make it out of the store carrying a loaf of bread without splitting at the seams, let alone withstand the beating my feet would give them trudging around through God's country! I can see it working nicely for the coil - maybe something beefier like kitchen trash bags for the feet?

A CC seated as your first silver with the Nox!?!? Thats awesome man!

Thanks, Rattlehead! I was really stoked to see it turn out as a seated...when I realized it was a CC, I was floored!

Killer coin! Mud be danged that fields got more goodies!!!

Thanks, GS! Yeah it does!! I've hit the site pretty hard earlier in the year, but I'm hoping the EQ will be just the machine to squeeze a little more out of it!

Congrats on the CC! A nice addition to the growing collection!

Thanks, cellr! I've been unbelievably fortunate to have 2 out of my 3 seated dimes turn out as CC's! Now if I could just turn one up from 1871-1874.... :lol:

Kudo's for your efforts and congrats on the silver! I wish my area had that history here....

Thanks, medicchief! Yep, we're quite fortunate with a wide variety of history here in Ohio - not quite as old and varied as the northeast, but interesting enough to keep me happy :grin:

Ha lol! Man I hate hunting in the mud but it looks like it paid off for you! Nice finds! Congrats

Thanks, WyoTom! Yep, the mud's definitely not an experience I'm anxious to repeat - although if I can keep finding old silver, I'm willing to give Mud-puppy's plastic bag trick a shot :yes:

That is a DIRTY day... But a sunshine of a find! Congrats!

Thanks, Buellride!

Congrats on your Nox maiden voyage finding that CC silver dime!

Thanks JAK! But to be clear, it wasn't the maiden voyage for my Nox...just the first I had a chance to get it out to this particular favorite field of mine. I am new to the EQ800 - I'm guessing I have just under 15 hours on it at this point.

Very cool dime and good write up....I do have to admit that I couldn’t wait to watch the rabid Equinox users tear you limb from limb in a wild frenzy. That was not nice and I feel the moderator should censure you at the very least....:mad:

Thanks, teotw! I know, it was pretty evil - but color me sinister, I just couldn't resist. Once that mud started to stick, it's the first think that popped into my head. And I've gotta admit, it was almost as much fun to post that ridiculous title as it was to post the find :grin: Looks like the mods may have censured me by "featuring" the thread?? :lol:

Big Congrats on a fantastic find! I hate that sticky kind of mud, it reminds me of wet flour dough. What were your settings?

beephead

Congrats on the CC..still a wired bucket list item for me. Great hunt and awesome story

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Killer dime! Last hunt I did in mid November, I was digging in mud like that. It was getting all over the coil and pinpointer. But that day we saw a high of 17 degrees F. Frozen mud is worse than sticky mud. Now I know why Mud-Puppy bags his coil on snowy, freezy hunts. Next time I pull that stunt, I'll be bagging my coil, pinpointer, and maybe boots too.

Big Congrats on a fantastic find! I hate that sticky kind of mud, it reminds me of wet flour dough. What were your settings

Thanks, Beep! I was just using straight-up, stock Field 2 on this hunt. No ground balance, and sensitivity turned down to about 17 to eliminate some chatter after noise canceling. I’ve hunted a couple other fields using a modified Park 2 - this was my first hunt trying Field 2. I honestly don’t know enough about the machine yet to say what advantages Field 2 may have given me. The dime was only about 4” down, so probably just about any setting would have seen it!

Congratulations on the dbl C Seated Tango! A Very cool and muddy find.

Thanks, Beachhunter! I sure loved seeing that dime come up, but the clean up for the equipment was murder!

Congrats on the CC..still a wired bucket list item for me. Great hunt and awesome story

Thanks, AF Mike! I’ve been fortunate to pull up 2 CCs this year...I’ll probably go a decade before I see another one!

Killer dime! Last hunt I did in mid November, I was digging in mud like that. It was getting all over the coil and pinpointer. But that day we saw a high of 17 degrees F. Frozen mud is worse than sticky mud. Now I know why Mud-Puppy bags his coil on snowy, freezy hunts. Next time I pull that stunt, I'll be bagging my coil, pinpointer, and maybe boots too.

Thanks, Foragist! I definitely learned my lesson - I’ve already raided the dog’s doody bag bin for a bunch of plastic W-M bags :lol: I put ‘em straight into my detecting pack so I can slap ‘em on the boots and coil next time the mud threatens to swallow me whole!

I thought for sure, someone would have already given this "helpful" tip.

Most of us detect with the coil slightly OVER the surface of the ground, rather than sliding the coil through it.

You might find it's easier that way.

:roll:

Skippy

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom