Fathers Ring Returned to Me

Saltshaker

Forum Supporter
Ok so this isnt exactly detecting related but since I detect and have returned several rings over the years, I just wanted to share this story with you.

Like I said, I have returned several rings for people, including a class ring after 50 years an his 50th reunion (read here) which was probably one of the greatest things I have done. The feeling I got to see his face and reaction was priceless. But never would I have thought that I would be on the receiving end.

As fate would have it though, I was heading to see my father who unfortunately has been battling Dementia. Which in my opinion is probably one of the most cruelest diseases in the world. Needless to say he was being moved from one facility to a brand new upscale one that we were very lucky to get into. Nevertheless, the poor guy was subjected to several places not as nice or friendly and during those times, his wedding band came up missing at a prior place.

My older brother was exceptionally upset since this ring would be inherited to him. Not to mention, his ring was lost as well so it meant a lot that he would have it eventually. We filed a police report because the hospital at the time had noted they removed the ring and inventoried it so as a result they agreed to pay for it since they lost it. But regardless it still sucked that it was missing and we honestly thought someone on the staff stole it especially since my parents silver set was stolen from their house earlier in the year.

Like I said, I was heading to see my father to help with transport. As I walked up, one of the nurses said "Hey, I found this ring and I thing its your fathers." I was stunned and shocked!! There in front of me in a plastic bag was his ring. I couldn't believe it and of course I asked where it was as I knew many people looked for it. She said it was in his dresser with his things, tucked away in some candy dish or something. I honestly don't remember exactly because I was so happy to see this ring. The feeling of relief was unreal and it made me sick to think someone had potentially taken it off my father's fingers.

Of course my brother called and I told him the good news. When we met up, I gave him the ring...his hand was practically shaking as he unfolded the plastic bag. He started to tear up and said "I cant believe its back". There is his hands was the lost 14K gold ring, inscribed with my parents and grandparents wedding dates. My brother was so happy, he really didn't have the words after that.

In the end, I am glad we were proven wrong. We thought it was gone for good and sadly there are probably cases out there where this has actually happened. For those of you who are dealing with elderly folks and similar situations involving other people, please take the time to safely inventory their personal items.

We were also lucky that someone who found the ring was able to do the right thing and return it to me. I feel that perhaps this was karma coming back to me as a thank you for times I was able to do the same for a few lucky folks. The moral is, you just never know when something good you do for others will circle back upon you and Im grateful to have this ring back in the family. Thanks for reading.

Attachments

• ring.jpg
    ring.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 236
Awesome story, congratulations on the happy ending! I'm looking forward to the time that I can find someone's important lost item and return it to them.

Hey Salty..Thanks for doing this post......Working the dementia ward at the Olde folks home is a Ministry moreso than a job...But friggin' aye..Evidently Your good deeds on ring returns did not go unnoticed to the Universe so it owed you one...

'Nurses' are Fussing drug addled scoundrels mainly, as is the management..out to steal anything and everything of value...TV remotes, hearing aids, bingo chits, bank accounts, underpants, Toblerone...

We have a few great nurses looking over my Wifes Mother...She is 100..We are up there all the damn time and at all hours...so yeah, we got her back.... I cannot imagine what goes on for the old folks with nobody...

A touching story. Glad the Ring was returned. Trapper

Awesome story, congratulations on the happy ending! I'm looking forward to the time that I can find someone's important lost item and return it to them.

That rings journey continues onward, amazing story - and I wish the best for you and your father and family going forward.

Hey Salty..Thanks for doing this post......Working the dementia ward at the Olde folks home is a Ministry moreso than a job...But friggin' aye..Evidently Your good deeds on ring returns did not go unnoticed to the Universe so it owed you one...

'Nurses' are Fussing drug addled scoundrels mainly, as is the management..out to steal anything and everything of value...TV remotes, hearing aids, bingo chits, bank accounts, underpants, Toblerone...

We have a few great nurses looking over my Wifes Mother...She is 100..We are up there all the damn time and at all hours...so yeah, we got her back.... I cannot imagine what goes on for the old folks with nobody...

That is a great story. Thanks for sharing.

Ray

Thanks everyone for their kind words and thoughts. I really do appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom