My Last Wheatie And Then I Got Booted

markinswpa

Forum Supporter
As I sit here all teary eyed and feeling sorry for myself I am reminded of a better time when I first got permission to hunt an old 1880/90s city house what I know now was a virgin site. It was early 2016, I had only been in the hobby less than a year and had been eyeballin the place, I tried several doorknocks with no luck. Talking to a neighbor I learned the owners name and one day on a drive by I saw him on the porch. Nice guy, got permission almost immediately while chatting with him. This became a standing permission, close by and any time I got a new coil or machine I headed over there to try it out. My first hunt there I had a dream that next to the sidewalk I pulled a shiny Barber dime. Sure enough my first target, an 81-82 on my AT Pro was an almost mint, my fist ever 1909 Barber dime. About 7in. down in the blackest ,richest dirt I had ever seen. Next was a 1904 worn Barber dime. I went on to dig a double dime trifecta that day, also my first IHP. Over the last 3 yrs. this place has given up just about every thing but big silver. A least a dozen silver, bunch of IHPs an LC. my first dated Buff, war nicks V nicks at least 50 wheaties. A sterling cub scout ring, fobs, tokens and tags, buttons, a clay marble, a bell. I'm sure I forgot some of the finds but you get the idea.

So yesterday I was out with the Equinox with the 6in. coil. I tried an old place that had promise but could only find a little clad in a sea of trash. After a couple of hours I headed back to what I thought was a standing permission. First couple signals, I dug a headstamp, a latch, a washer, then under a laurel bush that I know I have swung under countless times with the AT Pro-Etrac- (different coils )and EQ 800 with the stock coil I get a nice tone and a 23. I said no way, but yep a wheatie, not too deep by the root. I rescan and get another 23, same thing again, then once more, still another. Three wheaties under one bush. No way I have missed these all this time. One more rescan and I get a 19-20, I'm thinkin' , ok an IHP, nope- it was a rusty piece of iron, maybe an old pocket knife. These were grouped right around the root of the bush.The six inch coil sniffed them out where other machines/coils had missed them. Now I'm thinking oh man how many more coins have I missed. I start working around some tree roots when I hear someone yelling, I pull my headphones and see the now old owner telling me I can't be on the property, Its been sold- theres problems- a lawsuit, things are getting ugly, a neighbor called him to tell him they saw me there. He said you gotta go now. I thanked him for his hospitality and left immediately. I don't think I will find another place like this but it sure was fun while it lasted. Thanks for indulging in my lament. HH Mark

Attachments

• 20190206_131331 (2).jpg
    20190206_131331 (2).jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 823
  • 20190206_210503 (2).jpg
    20190206_210503 (2).jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 697
  • 20190206_194804 (2).jpg
    20190206_194804 (2).jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 686
  • 20190206_194432 (2).jpg
    20190206_194432 (2).jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 710
  • 20190206_200052 (2).jpg
    20190206_200052 (2).jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 703
  • 20190206_200127 (2).jpg
    20190206_200127 (2).jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 685
Glad you enjoyed the time while you were there. You was able to save some very interesting items. Sorry to hear you lost a permission. I took a closer look at the valve stem cap and seen a Cub Scout ring on there. Found the identical ring two summers ago nice job.

Mark,
It's too bad you lost permission to hunt this great site. Just remember the good finds and how lucky you were to be able to detect the site. Great virgin sites are few and far between. The challenge now is to find another great site.
Good luck in your search.

I'd give it a couple months, and if you see him out again stop and thank him for letting you hunt. Stopping to chat is what got you permission to begin with, might work again.

Glad you enjoyed the time while you were there. You was able to save some very interesting items. Sorry to hear you lost a permission. I took a closer look at the valve stem cap and seen a Cub Scout ring on there. Found the identical ring two summers ago nice job.
Dan thank you, I found the ring on my second hunt along with a 23 Merc,a 56 GW. the 22 railways token, that was in the hole with a 1905 Ihp. I was like a kid in a candy store. HH Mark

Mark,
It's too bad you lost permission to hunt this great site. Just remember the good finds and how lucky you were to be able to detect the site. Great virgin sites are few and far between. The challenge now is to find another great site.
Good luck in your search.
Ron thanks. I agree but finding a new old site is tuff, I have had at least 8 permissions that were 1890 or older but did not give up anything shiny or old. But I will keep trying. Hope you have been able to take advantage of this warm spell. Good luck Mark

I found one of those needles thread things at a 1920s house--what was it for ??:roll::roll:
Tony, I believe these were fastened to the cabinet of the old sewing machines and used as a guide for sewing.

I'd give it a couple months, and if you see him out again stop and thank him for letting you hunt. Stopping to chat is what got you permission to begin with, might work again.
Jim, unfortunately the house is in bad repair, he doesn't live there anymore. I had spoke with him last year and he did say the house was for sale, but later on I spoke with a neighbor who told me the deal he had fell through. Not seeing any activity there I assumed it was still in limbo and my permission still valid. Hopefully the new owners will let me back in but its tied up in a lawsuit so it could be a long time. Thanks for your comment HH Mark

Hopefully you'll be able to hit that spot again after the new ownerships grants you permission to do so.

Congrats Mark on another fine outing on that site. I had location that I could only hunt when the land owner was with me. After my first hunt there he wanted to hunt the grounds with me. I let him use my AT Pro and we had 3 hunts together with us both having success (I dug 2 Morgans in one hunt). After the third outing he has not let me back on the property. I have stopped at he's home every year since and dropped of some Veggies with the hope he will again allow me access. Trapper

Well think of it this way, at least you got to hunt it and have solid memories. Sounds like you cleaned up most of the easy stuff anyway. More out there!

Welcome back

Hopefully you'll be able to hit that spot again after the new ownerships grants you permission to do so.
Joe, Welcome back. Yes I'll keep an eye on the place, if and when I see activity I will definitely try to reach out to the new owner. Hey I remember something about shoulder surgery. Healed up I hope. The Equinox is a great lightweight water proof machine with Minelab language, not quite an Etrac but makes up for it in a lot of respects. HH Mark

Congrats Mark on another fine outing on that site. I had location that I could only hunt when the land owner was with me. After my first hunt there he wanted to hunt the grounds with me. I let him use my AT Pro and we had 3 hunts together with us both having success (I dug 2 Morgans in one hunt). After the third outing he has not let me back on the property. I have stopped at he's home every year since and dropped of some Veggies with the hope he will again allow me access. Trapper
Trapper, I don't know if I could hunt with the owner looking over my shoulder. It sounds like he was worried you might find something cool or valuable. Dah ! We just spend dollars and time to dig junk. I had a guy once give me permission and when I stopped he came out and said his wife said no, what if he finds something valuable. I just shook my head, smiled and said if its all the same I'll be on my way. Some people, I tell ya. This place, the guy had no problem, told me to keep what I find. I even took my chain saw and shears over, cut up downed tree limbs and trimmed back vegetation that was overgrowing the place, bagged it for him as a gesture of good will, and ya it gave me more ground to cover. I guess every puddle has to dry up sooner or later. Take care Mark

Well think of it this way, at least you got to hunt it and have solid memories. Sounds like you cleaned up most of the easy stuff anyway. More out there!
Thank you sir and yes I have great memories of the place but can't help thinking what did I miss. HH Mark

Sounds like a great spot and too bad you can't go there anymore. Congrats on the three wheats before getting booted.
Jason thank you, ya know I have had spots that gave up more coins but this place had a little of everything and something for me everytime I went back. I will miss it. HH Mark

Sorry to hear about your loss buddy, hope you find another site that is even better! M favorite spot is up for sale so I will be in the same boat eventually.

Sorry about your loss, but a GREAT post about catching the tiny windows of opportunity regarding our Sport!

Also Mark, because of your post, you pulled an additional fine Forum 'missed treasure' out of the weeds! Joee! Cool! :clapping:

Some nice finds there!
Thank you, never got skunked there, always came away with at least one coin and something cool. HH Mark

Sorry to hear about your loss buddy, hope you find another site that is even better! M favorite spot is up for sale so I will be in the same boat eventually.
Ya Ron I guess it will force us to find new (hopefully ) fertile hunting ground. Good luck Mark

Sorry about your loss, but a GREAT post about catching the tiny windows of opportunity regarding our Sport!

Also Mark, because of your post, you pulled an additional fine Forum 'missed treasure' out of the weeds! Joee! Cool! :clapping:
Mud thank you and yes glad to see joee5 back. Also see Gabby's posting again, its been a while since she posted. HH Mark

Glad you were able to enjoy it while it lasted.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom