Holy SMOKES 2nd OLDEST COIN YET an AWESOME DAY!!!

Buellride

Forum Supporter
I know that I have been "spamming" the forum as of late with my hunts but my LUCKY STREAK continues!!!

Dinking around the curb strips again, spent all of 1 1/2 hours on the last sunny day before the rains kick in for the rest of the week.:roll:

It was a great hunt, 4 Wheaties (55D, 52S, 57 & 58S) and two silvers, a 1927D and 1940S Mercury dimes...love that sparkle.

Towards the end of the hunt I decided to slowly grid one last time and got a bouncy dime/penny signal that looked "diggable" and once I turned the plug, 7 inches down something large dropped from the bottom of the plug. At first glance it looked like a clad half-dollar so I pocketed it and kept hunting to the truck.

Once home I looked at the coin a little closer and realized it was a LARGE CENT!!! Holy Smokes!!!! :wow::wow:

A coin THAT OLD is almost unheard of around these parts. After gentle soakings and Q-Tips I couldn't get a date off of it but I tried to match Lady Liberty's hair pattern to my Red Book coin example and I think I have a 1834 Large Cent.

I can make out the stars and the wreath on the reverse looks correct, just the date and most of the United States of America on the back have been worn down. In many ways this Large Cent is TOASTY but I love her to death! The only other 19th century era coin I have found was my 1826 Half Cent and that was found in Carlisle, PA over 5 years ago.

If anyone has any recommendations to get the date off the cent I am open to suggestions. Sorry for the crappy photos but I tried to get the light just right for the camera. The 'LIBERTY' of her headband is very clear in person as are a majority of the stars.

I hope to keep this silver and OLD COIN streak alive going into the year!!

Attachments

• 11_19 Total Finds.jpg
    11_19 Total Finds.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 662
  • 11_19 Large Cent and Silvers.jpg
    11_19 Large Cent and Silvers.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 672
  • 11_19 Large Cent Front.jpg
    11_19 Large Cent Front.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 666
  • 11_19 Large Cent Back.jpg
    11_19 Large Cent Back.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 700
  • 11_19 Large Cent Book.jpg
    11_19 Large Cent Book.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 687
Absolutely amazing to find a large cent around here! Awesome luck you've been having lately. Well done Paul! :clapping:

Wow huge congrats! Excellent hunting!

I am still recovering from the Barber yesterday and now THIS! :p

Truly

A largie on the West Coast? I'm stunned! WTG!

Yup I thought I would never see one in the hole again after moving to the west coast...

Absolutely amazing to find a large cent around here! Awesome luck you've been having lately. Well done Paul! :clapping:

Thank you Kevin, just wish I could get you out there again! Soon... :D

Back
Top Bottom