Large cent from a civil war skirmish and some sort of cartridge box plate?!

Pacivilwarluke

Elite Member
Somewhere between the north and the south..
I've been sporadically hunting throughout this week, and I had a few good finds. First is a large cent ( braided hair ) that I found at a small civil war skirmish site. There's probably more there, but I haven't gone back, it's in a files and the cornstalks are annoying. Today I was at a property that dates back to the 1700s and near the foundation of an old stone bridge I found what looks to be a cartige box plate of some kind. It is stamped brass, with lead fill and two iron attachment points. I have included a picture with a US box plate and the artifact on question to shoe their similar construction. It is rumored that at the site there was rev. War troops marching through the area. I'm really puzzled by it and look forward to any help on identifying the piece. Thanks and HH!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 384
Thank for all the replies everyone! I was inspecting the item in question and there is writing on the front! I can make out an I that looks very similar to the war of 1812 letter style seen on accouterment plates and buttons! I'm wondering if it could spell out infantry?

you know, since that LC is toast, I'd clean it as much as possible and wear it as a necklace. It'd be pretty unique.

Back
Top Bottom