I Dug Up A Crawling Root

beephead

Elite Member
Early this morning I started out detecting at a 1927 home site to see what I could unearth. I was finding plenty of wheat pennies, but no silver. While digging one target I tossed a root out of the hole that was in my way. After removing the coin and covering the hole, I noticed that the root that I threw out was crawling off. I woke up a 12-inch hybernating snake.

Since I wasn't finding any silver I decided to cruise around and see if I could find a better site. I spotted a condemned halfway burndown house that looks to have been built around 1910 or so. Right off I started finding wheat pennies and unearthed a 1964 Rosies dime. Then it started pouring down rain, so I headed for the house. I'll be going back there!

beephead

Attachments

• IMG_2417.jpg
    IMG_2417.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 351
  • IMG_2418.jpg
    IMG_2418.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG_2419.jpg
    IMG_2419.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_2420.jpg
    IMG_2420.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_2421.jpg
    IMG_2421.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 324
Cool! A Diamondbacktcopperheadedwatermoccitsin! Seems like you dig up at least one snake per year! Didnt you dig one up last year about this time? Somebody here on the Forum did...IIRC

Cool! A Diamondbacktcopperheadedwatermoccitsin! Seems like you dig up at least one snake per year! Didnt you dig one up last year about this time? Somebody here on the Forum did...IIRC

Yep, I dug up several grass snakes last year from one little small area. They're not poisonous, but they sure will make you jump when you first pull them out.

beephead

Like the snake.
Last week I dug a plug and out popped three small Brown snakes.
Always great to see these and happy none got hurt.

Don't you just hate it when those roots go crawling off to replant themselves in you way someplace else. Congrats on the Rosie and all those Wheat's Beep. Hope the return trip is as rewarding. Trapper

Back
Top Bottom