Indiana Looking for Detector Buddy

Troll2555

Crawfordsville, Montgomery County, Indiana
I'm looking for a detector buddy in West Central Indiana. (I am in Crawfordsville IN) Will travel up to 100 miles to meet, talk or hunt.

I especiallly like to research caches (haven't found one yet, but ....) and area lore, but just plain love to coin shoot.

I own (just bought) a Minelab Quattro MP and am learning it.

hey troll,

egg on my face! i just read your profile. in a reply to one of your earlier posts i offered to share research with YOU. oh well, doesn,t seem to be many hoosiers come by here, and i'm all the way over by the ohio state line. one thing you might try is going down around floyds knob, or gnaw bone. not being familiar with the minelab line i don't know how good a nugget detector the quattro MP is, but there is glacial gold in that area, same as here. i have had some luck with my MXT down stream of the whitewater gorge. i go to alaska summers and am trying to get some practical experience to reduce the learning curve when i get there. if you get over this way before mid may i would be glad to have you along.

my nearest neighbor is 1/2 mile away, but with the aid of local 1874 plat book i have located 5 old house sites and a one room school site that are less distant than that.

I live in Kokomo. Have not been Md'ing long but have lots of great places to go. Email me if you like and we will get together.

Hello fellow Hoosiers! I live in Fort Wayne, IN and am also looking for a hunting buddy. I've always gone alone, but would love to have someone to go with, also.

Scrltt641 aka Scarlett

Looking for tips on where to hunt, I came across this interesting tid bit about Darlington Indiana (Montgomery County). This was in the book "Montgomery County Legend and Lore" (Pat Cline 1988)

"There were scoundrels and muggings, even in the old days. In the Centinnial Book of Darlington {Darlington Indiana 1936}, Mrs Edith Weesener wrote of her father relating stories about the "covered" bridge and how wagons and buggies were often stopped by robbers hiding in the facade. When the horses enetered the bridge, they would grab a bridle, stop the vehicle, and relieve the occupants of any valuables they might have....

Now if I can get to the newspapers in the library and maybe find a little more out about these robbers mabe a hint of a cache could show up....

I'm in Bedford IN. Anyone near here? I'll do some traveling to hunt with someone. I have a few decent places to try.

Sounds good! Maybe we could research some sites near Greencastle or Cloverdale and meet halfway. I also have a large older schoolyard not too far from here pretty much to myself thats about 5 or 6 acres. The school isn't there any longer, but it was built in 1931. I've found some wheaties there, and of course clad, but not too much else. I know there has to be silver there. I haven't searched much of it though. I'll send you an email with some contact info.

scritt641, sorry for being so long answering your post. i've been spending my waking hours making final preperations for my annual trip to alaska.

i am in randolph county. there are no towns of any size near my home, but this area was the center of everything in the early days of statehood. people from fort wayne used to have to travel to winchester, the county seat, for any and all legal transactions. you may find some interesting research under -greenville treaty, old national highway, or underground railroad. an even greater wealth of information can be found by searching town names located within the area covered by the greenville treaty. i would suggest spartanburg, arba, snow hill, or ridgeville. many of the earliest roads were toll roads, and the location of toll houses are marked in early plat books. i have plats from 1874 and 1909. locations of houses, schools, and churches are also shown and are surprizingly accurate in both location and shape/size of buildings. also research the interurban railroad system. i have done well around interurban stations.

i will return from alaska sometime in november and would really like to show you the location of a couple of toll houses i have yet to search. most are now in farmed ground. the last one i covered was not very productive, but the 1857 flying eagle was nearly perfect, and an 1899 indian head was very good. i would even take you to a turn of the century fair ground/horse track that i am yet to hunt.

fair trade, though. i will expect you to do some research, and get necessary permission for your area. in particular, i would like to see early information about franke park.

now, back to packing. i will give you a full report of my experiences with the mxt vs. alaskan gold before thanksgiving, promise.

Tater, you live very close to Phantom. I'm several hours from you two. I don't usually travel that far by myself. Either too chicken or old age getting to me. LOL!

Good luck.

Scrltt641

Hello troll,

My handle is thdiver. I saw your post on looking for a buddy. I live in Frankfort,IN. I used to live in Crawfordsville and most of my family still live in the area. I don't relic hunt but I do coin hunt and mostly water hunt. If you are still looking for someone to go with reply. If not oh well and good luck hunting.

thdiver

Wish I could hook up and do some hunting with all of you. But unfortunately, I live in Fla now, but I grew up in Anderson. Hope all of you have some good luck hunting. Post some pics if you find some cool items.

awwww

I just moved to Virginia from Fort Wayne. Its nice to see Indiana people here, makes me think of home! I will be flying into Fort Wayne this weekend to visit:spin::tumble:

Back
Top Bottom