howwwwDy from dothan al

surefoot

just starting with a RS discovery 2000 dis. question, anyone ever ask a RR office for permission to hunt?

Welcome.
About RR property....
Out of all the different kinds of sites to detect the ones owned by the railroads are some of the most difficult to get permission for.
On tracks that are being used they are afraid of people getting hurt and since 911 they watch them even closer and on ones that aren't being used they usually turn you down...even if you can find someone to ask.
They have their own police force and those guys don't mess around, confiscation of your equipment, heavy fines and even jail time are all possible.

I suppose some old tracks out in the middle of nowhere that haven't been used for decades it might be possible, if you do ask permission the worst they can say is no but they usually have a bunch of garbage metal around them anyway.
Closer to old abandoned depots might be better but like graveyards I won't go near them.
Too many bad things can happen.
If you want to try good luck with that, I prefer nice safe public parks instead and other public sites.

Welcome.
About RR property....
Out of all the different kinds of sites to detect the ones owned by the railroads are some of the most difficult to get permission for.
On tracks that are being used they are afraid of people getting hurt and since 911 they watch them even closer and on ones that aren't being used they usually turn you down...even if you can find someone to ask.
They have their own police force and those guys don't mess around, confiscation of your equipment, heavy fines and even jail time are all possible.

I suppose some old tracks out in the middle of nowhere that haven't been used for decades it might be possible, if you do ask permission the worst they can say is no but they usually have a bunch of garbage metal around them anyway.
Closer to old abandoned depots might be better but like graveyards I won't go near them.
Too many bad things can happen.
If you want to try good luck with that, I prefer nice safe public parks instead and other public sites.
see we have a senior center that used to be the town station from 1903 to 1956. tracks are intermittent in the grass. front grass is city, behind the building is RR. county has a tax plat map that tells you who owns what.

thanks for all the feed back, yall are friendly! thanks for the detector info. this is fun, love the history. two hunts so far, my yard neighbors yard. three pull tabs, 6 clad, 1 74 lincoln, and a 66 qtr. told him 32 more like this and the batteries are paid for. haha

Back
Top Bottom