Sledding hills

Oldsjunkie

Forum Supporter
So I've researched a couple sledding hills in the area that are in parks. The two major ones have been used for a loooong time and are gigantic to say the least. What I'm wondering is, like everyone, I of course want to increase my chances of getting on the hottest spots first. Would you guys work the top of the slope first thinking that people are suiting up, taking gloves off and putting them on, resting and snacking or whatnot? Would you work the bottom of the slope where people would be falling off their sleds and rolling and flopping until they stop...

We're talking two sides of a little valley about 3-400 yards wide and both slopes are about 150-200 feet long with a probably 400 foot runoff in between them. This is just one spot in one park. Lots of ground to cover here!! :sledding: Thanks for looking and HH!

I have not had too much luck at our local hill, mostly clad.
I will be watching to see what folks say.
I do know a certain someone (trapper) who finds great things at sled hills so hopefully he will chime in here.

I have not had too much luck at our local hill, mostly clad.
I will be watching to see what folks say.
I do know a certain someone (trapper) who finds great things at sled hills so hopefully he will chime in here.

I'll be heading to the one "ghetto park" in the morning and start working it. I think, unless I hear better advice, I'll start on the flat at the top and work a 10 foot or so swath down to the bottom. That will probably fill half a day...:shock:

I'll be heading to the one "ghetto park" in the morning and start working it. I think, unless I hear better advice, I'll start on the flat at the top and work a 10 foot or so swath down to the bottom. That will probably fill half a day...:shock:

I did one today , same thing your describing, right down to ghetto lol the top was bone dry and the bottom was easier but still tough. The bottom produced the most, an injun small silver ring and wheats but up top was just a whole different ballgame maybe just cause it was like cement? Of course BUTTLOADS of trash. But once you get in the right areas you can find nice old pockets. Good luck and HH!

Ive detected a lot of sledding hills. All somewhat random as far as which part of the hill has the best potential but there does seem to be tighter grouping of targets at the top of the hill where people are getting into sleds , ..... normally more targets in general at the bottom of the hill but widely spread from the very base of the hill out to where the sleds would stop. The mid section of the hill usually has a sprinkling of random targets but usually not as much potential as the top or bottom. All basically just what you would expect considering what people are usually doing on each part of the hill and how much time they spend there. Getting into and out of sleds is an action that can contribute to losing things. More time is usually spent at the top and bottom , so usually more potential. Flying through the air or tumbling wildly after a wipeout can cause people to lose stuff but things get widely spread through the mid section of the hill. Just slightly downhill of any obstacle or bump usually accumulates targets pretty well.

I always start at the base of the hill and work my out away from it first , because normally that's where most of the stuff is , though not always. Then I hit the very top and work my way down the slope. Seems to be a good strategy for me. Some hills are full of goodies but some are strangely void of much besides zipper pulls and snaps :lol: Just depends on the hill and how many have used it over the years.

Yeah, Some of us hunt them all winter even...John Edmonton's observations on active in Winter sledding hills advice is pretty good.."Lower Third" He inspired a lot of us to bundle up and get out in the Winter...

I agree with Ohio Chris' working and thinking pattern...

But yeah, look at the hill and picture where the likely drop zones are...near the warming house etc...I really clean up if I'm there at first melt in the Spring..
Mud

Attachments

• sno3.jpg
    sno3.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 293
  • snow3.jpg
    snow3.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 299
  • snow1.jpg
    snow1.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 301
Last edited:
Oldsjunkie, If I am healed and can MD after December maybe we can hook up and detect those areas in the snow or as Muddpup said after first melt. I take it you are in the Indy area.

Yeah, Some of us hunt them all winter even...John Edmonton's observations on active in Winter sledding hills advice is pretty good.."Lower Third" He inspired a lot of us to bundle up and get out in the Winter...

I agree with Ohio Chris' working and thinking pattern...

But yeah, look at the hill and picture where the likely drop zones are...near the warming house etc...I really clean up if I'm there at first melt in the Spring..
Mud

Hey Mud, I'm not much of a cold weather / snow hunter, but just curious - what's up with the plastic bag ? Is that to keep snow from building up on your coil ?

Thanks for the comments folks! I ended up not being able to get out this morning, but will make use of the fine suggestions here. The weather is supposed to cooperate this week, so hopefully they'll bare fruit. I'm definitely in for getting together Patrick, and have a few promising spots that I don't think many people have been on. Wouldn't hurt to have a partner at a couple of them either.

Thanks for the comments folks! I ended up not being able to get out this morning, but will make use of the fine suggestions here. The weather is supposed to cooperate this week, so hopefully they'll bare fruit. I'm definitely in for getting together Patrick, and have a few promising spots that I don't think many people have been on. Wouldn't hurt to have a partner at a couple of them either.

I understand and if its in the area I am thinking it would be good to have someone with you:laughing: I will know probably around mid-Oct when I can swing the MD again and will let you know.

I understand and if its in the area I am thinking it would be good to have someone with you:laughing: I will know probably around mid-Oct when I can swing the MD again and will let you know.

Hopefully they clear you to get the coil to the ground soon man! Hit me up for sure. I usually just get some long uneasy stares and whatnot, but It's never really a relaxing hunt when you're on constant alert...

Back
Top Bottom