First Hunts of July -- Couldn't Stand It Any Longer -- Rain Or No Rain, I HAD To Get Out!

Pennyfinder

Elite Member
I hadn't been out at all since June 24, 2013 (when I found the men's 10K gold wedding band) until yesterday for about an hour (got caught in a downpour so I only found about 9 cents total).

(The truck quit working on Sunday -- June 30 and I put it in the shop on July 1 and got it back July 3 -- just before all the rain started)!

So I went back out today during a lull in the rain -- which finally went away and the sun came out. Today's hunt didn't produce much! I got a total (between yesterday and today) of .40 cents in clad; .03 in copper and .04 cents in spendable zinc -- oh and one quarter that when it came out of the hole it was so covered in dirt I couldn't make it out but the rim "LOOKED" silver. I didn't dare rub it. I ended the hunt "THINKING" I had silver. I went to the nearest store/gas station to the rest room to "clean" it. But when the dirt fell away all I had was a 1989 C-A-N-A-D-I-A-N Quarter!!! :mad: Oooh I was "STEAMED"! That's as bad as finding ZINC!

But on the bright side I did find me another WHEAT penny -- a very green 1919 (although you can't tell it in the picture)!

And as you will see in the pictures I found a few other miscellaneous items including a button with MY initial on it made by the Superior Quality Button Company. I don't have a clue as to how "OLD" it is but it is in really good shape. I also found 2 bullet shells (see photo for description). The item BELOW the shells is a mystery to me -- no clue what it is -- any ideas -- anyone ever find something like that. Is it anything dangerous!?! :shock:

"The Bling", of course, is "JUNK" but it is still a neat find! And I found the bottom to a small compact (see photo for description).

One more item I found -- part of an old Slaymaker Lock. See picture below.

I was out for about 4-5 hours today and went to 3 locations. It sprinkled for a little while and I had the Compadre control box covered in plastic. I was glad to see the sun come out. The rain is supposed to end tonight or early tomorrow morning. So far it hasn't started up again, thankfully. Maybe I can get out and about again tomorrow afternoon after church and lunch. The temps are supposed go back up into the 90's by Monday! And the forecast is for no rain through most of the week so maybe I can get back out again more next week!

Thanks for looking! GL & HH

Attachments

• 07-05 & 06-13 The Coins.jpg
    07-05 & 06-13 The Coins.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 500
  • 07-06-13 Bling & Button.jpg
    07-06-13 Bling & Button.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 499
  • 07-06-13 MIscellaneous Finds.JPG
    07-06-13 MIscellaneous Finds.JPG
    145.5 KB · Views: 510
  • 07-06-13 1919 Wheat Penny - Front.jpg
    07-06-13 1919 Wheat Penny - Front.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 502
  • 07-06-13 1919 Wheat Penny - Back.jpg
    07-06-13 1919 Wheat Penny - Back.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 498
  • 07-06-13 Slaymaker Lock.JPG
    07-06-13 Slaymaker Lock.JPG
    151.3 KB · Views: 477
That button is a policeman uniform button - can you snap a pic of the back and we can probably get a date range for you. Does it have an old shank on the back?

That button is a policeman uniform button - can you snap a pic of the back and we can probably get a date range for you. Does it have an old shank on the back?

Yeah just a minute. I'll get a picture and get it up! Wow! I had no idea it was a button from a policeman's uniform. Don't think I've ever seen one! Cool! I don't figure it's too old as it is in too good of shape! Here's a photo of the back of the button:

Attachments

• 07-06-13 Back of Button.jpg
    07-06-13 Back of Button.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 483
I found a photo of one here:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/71677-p-button-superior-quality.html

And they are calling it a Waterbury Button Company button because Waterbury put "Superior Quality" on the button if I understood it right. But mine looks more like the OLDER button than the later one! See Montana Jim's post further down the page. It shows an old one and a later one (really gold looking). And if you look at the "leaves" on the left button they are further apart than the "leaves" on the button on the right. MINE has leaves like the old one on the left.

I am not a button expert, but I would guess late 1800's on that button. Nice find

But if it IS late 1800's how could it still be in this good of shape and still have that much guilding on it and not be so GREEN and rusty like most buttons of this type usually are coming out of the ground? Of course I doubt it's been in the ground THAT long. I found it on a lot that is claimed to be over 200 yrs old (a tree in the yard is that old at least). But I wouldn't think the button was lost more than 50-60 yrs ago if that long ago. I figure someone who lived in the house had it and lost it. The house is maybe 80-90 yrs old (just a guess).

I have no clue what that is ,unless its a TP roller for midgets

Hmmmmmmmmm! That's a thought! :laughing: It has no writing or other marks on it that I can see. And it has spots on it that appear to be a type of pot metal but not sure. It feels a little bit heavy and looks solid as opposed to being "hollow".

Cool button!!! I have three of them, 2 coat size and one shirt size. If I remember correctly, they're circa 1894. AWESOME!!!

Cool button!!! I have three of them, 2 coat size and one shirt size. If I remember correctly, they're circa 1894. AWESOME!!!

If that is true -- how is it that MINE is almost like new -- heavy gold guilding and the back has only one slight dent near the shank. I doubt it has been in the ground over a hundred years because it was only about 3 inches down if that and near a tree that is very old (over 100 yrs). My guess is that whoever lived in the house on the property (which is now empty and being reworked and is for sale) probably had the button and lost it in the yard maybe 40-50 years ago. (That's just a guess). If it is that old -- trust me I'll be protecting it! What do you think it's value is?

If that is true -- how is it that MINE is almost like new -- heavy gold guilding and the back has only one slight dent near the shank. I doubt it has been in the ground over a hundred years because it was only about 3 inches down if that and near a tree that is very old (over 100 yrs). My guess is that whoever lived in the house on the property (which is now empty and being reworked and is for sale) probably had the button and lost it in the yard maybe 40-50 years ago. (That's just a guess). If it is that old -- trust me I'll be protecting it! What do you think it's value is?

The value of an item you find is a relative thing. Of course, to me, all my finds are worth more than what I could sell them for.

With that all said, my guess on value of the button would be $10 - $20 tops.

As to why it has so much gilt still, that is the fun part about detecting - trying to figure out the when, why where, part of how an item got where it is. The possibilities are endless :)

Again, I would be thrilled with that button - congrats again !!

The value of an item you find is a relative thing. Of course, to me, all my finds are worth more than what I could sell them for.

With that all said, my guess on value of the button would be $10 - $20 tops.

As to why it has so much gilt still, that is the fun part about detecting - trying to figure out the when, why where, part of how an item got where it is. The possibilities are endless :)

Again, I would be thrilled with that button - congrats again !!

Yeah I was surprised when it came out of the hole. I have other buttons that size (military WWI/WWII) that are SUPPOSEDLY not as OLD as this one and are in TERRIBLE SHAPE! So who knows when this police button was lost and what the circumstances were surrounding its loss.

I was out again today -- 11 cents and a couple keys and a LOT of junk (lots of bottle caps and pull tabs)! :( Won't be posting that!

Back
Top Bottom