What is it with getting permission? Arghhhhh

PKD

So, theres a Methodist Campground near where I live. Its been there since the 1860s. The buildings haven't been redone for about a century. Its right by the river and it floods ALOT. The original 1800s-era church is still there. You can imagine the stuff thats there, considering its private property:) So, one of my church friends rents out to people who just happen to be on the Board of Trustees for the place. I called her today. She said she'd definetely give it a try and vouch for me. Sad news is, the guy said they don't want to allow MD'ing. WHY? I mean, the grass there is so overgrown with weeds. The buildings are about to fall apart. The place is literally tottering on the brink of collapse and the guy wouldn't allow someone to search there. Arghhhh, these people make me so angry sometimes. If they really cared about history, they'd be happy to have someone come on over and dig up some old relics that they could display. Heck, I'd even give them 3/4 if not ALL of the old stuff if they wanted! But no. A simple no will have to do. This place was #1 on my list of places to search. The only others are historically protected and I doubut I'll get permission there. Sorry for the rant, I felt like venting.

I think we can blame all the ambulance chasing attorney's and frivolous lawsuits for a lot of the problems we have getting permission. Especially from those with deep pockets.

We have a wonderful natural lake/recreation area locally that is owned by a mining company. It had been open and heavily used the public since the early 1900's. About 10 years ago a drunk managed to dive under a weed mat and drown himself. The entire area has been fenced and posted no trespassing since. The owners just can no longer accept the liability so everyone loses out.

i've drive there all the time i go mding . I wish I could go there also. Maybe if you offer to sign a waiver of liability. Good luck and happy hunting!

I would offer to hit the yard with a weed wacker in return for permission to hunt. If they say yes, you not only have a green light but it will be easy swingin' as well!

Good luck.

FWIW, I bet that due to all of the constant flooding, the silver is so deep that it is popping out of the ground in Shanghai by now. :grin:

I have a similar problem with a local farm that is dating from the 17th century, they wont let anyone on there to detect...ive been talking to the people on there and there may be some hope but sometimes you either have to accept no or wait and wait and wait....it can take time for people to trust your not going to tear open their land and leave big mole holes and run with some valuable finds...i think talking aboutthe fact id always go 50/50 with finds and if they had intrinsic value they get them....i just get pictures and maybe to take them to my club for the chance at some silver coins for best find.

I'd be like you and rather have the finding then the value, ofcourse id be a little more mercenary if we are talking them wanting any gold/silver/platinum/etc....thats just cherry picking, but if they want to walk along side me and dig all the holes then go for it, you can have everything while i get to have a day out in the sun and walk around some historical site, three hours of digging 10"-12" holes and they'll be doing 50/50 deals :laughing:

Well that is unfortunately the way it is most of the time. Luckily I have one place to search and soon I will be trying to get permission for another place. Many times though it is the places you want to hunt most that you get nos on.

Signing a liability waiver wouldn't get me anywhere. I somehow get a taste that they have had bad experiences in the past and won't go there again. The case is pretty much closed....but I may try to get permission again. Who knows.....

I have a couple houses up the street that date to 1850's. One house cleared a lot next door about 6 mos ago so yesterday I saw the homeowner and stopped by to talk. They removed the trees and leveled the lot, perfect place, the guy says "I am a private guy so I cant let you try it". I only asked for 30 minutes just to see and he wouldnt go for it.

Back
Top Bottom