• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Got my first permission! Woo Hoo!

RollTide

I was able to track down the property owner of an old drive in theater. I will go by his office friday to sign a waiver of liability. Can't wait ot hit it!!!! Any suggestions on how to hunt this area would be great?

Thanks,
Steve

great job on gettting permission on a awesome site. I would try to look on some old maps and try to get a idea of how it was set up and hunt the consession stand area and the old playground area if there was one. good luck and HH.

Hey, please get back with us on this. We have one drive in left where I live and I am really curious on how you will do. Good Luck!

Patton....y'all will be the first to know!;)

Pointer....so far I've been able to find only one photo of the concession stand. I'm gonna have to see what I can dig up from memory. I do remember how the screen was situated to the viewing area and that there was a play ground in front of the screen. I can remember seeing two movies at this drive in. Jaws and Smokey and the Bandit. And I still watch'em every time I catch'em on tv. The guy who gave me permission told me I had to show him what I find. I said "No problem at all". Man! I can't wait!

In front of the screen would be great - look at the screen, and walk back, until you can see it fully. This would be the place to search, since kid's and teenagers go there.

Usually they had a kiosk - find the place, coins was lost there, and there should be trails down to the cars, and the place where the kids like to hang out.

look for old maps airial photos, to see if you can find the trails, where ppl had to walk to get from their car to the store. anything lost on a muddy road will disappear forever. - That is until you drop by.

do you remember where ppl. stops to buy their ticket? - that can be a good place too.

If you mark your finds on an airial photo, or with a GPS, then you will soon be able to find out exactly where ppl liked to go when they wanted to deposit something for you to find.

Maybe the owner has a photo hanging on the wall of the place taken during a movie - it could give you a lot of information. make a snapshot with your cellphone camera for later reference.

Try googling the name of the place, and then click on pictures in the left side of the screen. Maybe somebody has put some pics on the net.

/Steffen

Steffen.....I haven't been able to find any old photos of it. It's been dismantled for so long now that it's a weed feild and a trucking company maintains it. I do remember where the screen was and the film booth was directly opposite of it of course. If memory serves me right the concession building was to the right side of the film booth. There are no trails left and you can't tell from the satelite image where the play ground was but I know it was there. I've tried everything I know of to find any old photos. I may stop by the city hall to see if they have any photos on the walls. Thanks for the help.:grin:

Uber congrats on the permission .. I cant help but wonder how bad the tab hoards in a location like this would be. But the countless possible good targets should out weigh that. How much Disc you thinking about running?

If it is like the one we went to growing up it should be a gravel lot. Cant imagine the coins and jewlery getting down too deep. Good luck with it and let us know how you do.

Lakota

I am very curious to hear exactly how trashy the site will be. Hope you don't get frustrated and keep us updated please.

Uber congrats on the permission .. I cant help but wonder how bad the tab hoards in a location like this would be. But the countless possible good targets should out weigh that. How much Disc you thinking about running?

If it is like the one we went to growing up it should be a gravel lot. Cant imagine the coins and jewlery getting down too deep. Good luck with it and let us know how you do.

Lakota

Dunno really. Will probably disc out foil. May keep iron due to maybe finding a old speaker or some relic. It will probably be pretty trashy so I know I will have to hit several times. I think this drive in goes back to the fifties. Should be able to find some silver if it hasn't been pushed too deep.

Hey 'bama... have you tried historicaerials web site? I have seen that there are a couple other sites mentioned on this forum, but haven't used them. The Cincinnati area has pictures back to 1930, but not all areas go back that far. Check it out and maybe it will help show you where play/concession area were located. Happy hunting!

http://www.historicaerials.com/

Hey Roll,

Are you using the F5? If you are, give us a report on how your running it and a big photo pic of the place, yes, a weed whacker could be useful and worth it.

Hey Roll,

Are you using the F5? If you are, give us a report on how your running it and a big photo pic of the place, yes, a weed whacker could be useful and worth it.

Yep I'm using the F5. Still learning with it but I was running with foil and iron disc'd out. I eventually had to disc out tab also. Sensitivity was around 75 and threshold -3. There should be some silver there somewhere. It hasn't bulldozed because a lot of the asphalt is still there but the weeds are shin high. I'm waiting for them to cut it again.

Here are a couple of pictures. The first one is current and the second one is 1952 before the school next to it.

airshow1.jpg

airshow2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom