Another confederate in Saxapahaw :D

gtoast99

Forum Supporter
Hey ya'll! I got invited over to detect another farm in the area. Spent a couple hours wandering for hotspots, and came up with nothing but shotgun shells. I really wanted to find something, though, so I used the little bit of daylight after work on my own farm.

I detected on the half of the farm where most of my CW relics have come from, including last month's VA seal button. My friend also got an NC seal button from the neighboring farm. Where there's one, there's got to be more, right?

I was having trouble finding targets that weren't iron (and dug some of those for good measure), when I had an epiphany. Several of my period finds have come from the area around a specific set of fencelines. And while I've detected hard all around them, I've never gotten right under the fence. So I shut off the electric fence and worked my way along the fence and sure enough, I got a weak signal.

Moved some clay and it got stronger. Carefully worked the clay with a hand digger and PP to avoid scratching what I assumed would be more farm junk. SWEET- a flatbutton!

But wait... this flat button is convex. And it has something on it. Can it be??

:shock: Yep, an NC sunburst button. :D That makes the second Confederate button from my own farm, and third from these two properties. I'm really over the moon about this find, especially from my own property.

Anyways, here's the scans. I'll have some better pics on the blog later, don't have the camera with me at the moment. But thanks for checking it out and in advance for any comments you may have. :D

Attachments

• sunburst both.jpg
    sunburst both.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 335
Good stuff!! There's not much civil war stuff to be had around here, I'd have to go down to Glorieta, NM for that.

Dusty

What an awesome find, and on your own property to boot! Something special about finding a North Carolina soldier relic in our home state. Great job sniffing it out.

What a nice button! I've always wanted to find one of those. Like you said, there has got to be more so keep looking.

Wish we could hit some finds like that here in Kansas. Not a whole lot of action back then in our state.

Back
Top Bottom