A Virginia Confederate in Saxapahaw, NC

gtoast99

Forum Supporter
Well, it would have been known as "Oaks" at the time, but that town doesn't really exist anymore, so now it's part of Saxapahaw.

Anyways, I'll skip with the story of the find (but it is a good read, if you're interested, it's over at my blog). But I found this AWESOME Virginia state seal button on my farm this evening. I know that troops from both sides marched within a few miles of here in 1865, but some of my area metal detecting finds lead me to suspect at least some troops moved across my farm specifically, and this is strong piece of evidence in support of that theory.

What's really fascinating is something that I have seen posted (rarely) but never thought I'd find myself. The thick clay has preserved a few strands of the original material attached to the shank. It must have been sitting perfectly flat face-up all this time. The backmark is rmdc "Kent Paine & Co. Richmond".

I feel very blessed to have recovered it, especially here on my own land. And I'm thrilled to be able to share it with all of you! Thanks for looking, I hope you enjoyed, and God bless!

Attachments

• va button.jpg
    va button.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 300
Thanks!! No, we don't regularly till it, it's all horse pasture. The button was found in the "common" area outside the horse paddocks, close to the barn. :)

This seams to be a real special find, i will be honest i dont know much about the American history, but looking at pieces like this really makes we want to learn it.
congrats on an AWESOME find
Dan

Thanks everyone!!

This seams to be a real special find, i will be honest i dont know much about the American history, but looking at pieces like this really makes we want to learn it.
congrats on an AWESOME find
Dan

I love how detecting really got me interested in history in such greater depth; national, state, and local. I learn new things every time I go out. It's a much fun to find as it is to research. Who held it. Where did it come from. How was it made. What does it tell us about our culture at the time.

Gotta love this hobby! :D

Back
Top Bottom