Flock of detectors

lafayettelauren

Over the last few days I have been on vacation and have visited pretty much every city on the west coast of Michigan. I was with the woman and didn't do any detecting on this trip. We stopped at the South Haven beach and walked out to the light house. As we are walking out I started noticing all the people detecting at the beach. I counted not one but nine different people digging away. I'm from Indiana and it's a rare sight to see even one guy swinging but nine at one small beach blew my mind. How do you beach guys find anything with that much competition???

9? That's nothing. 1 spot i visited from time to time now has 25~30 guys there every night swinging away. Beach is about the size of a football field

How do you beach guys find anything with that much competition???

It is an interesting dynamic on the Michigan big sand beaches...theres all sorts of gear that gets deployed by the locals and the tourists alike....anyone with a coil and scoop is working the sands, and 6 others are in the water....

So, about the only thing a guy can do is get out early and go really really fast..like a daily Speed hunt...a guy dont have to go deep, he's just looking for freshies dropped not 8hrs prior...speed and coverage is the key...theres not a pulltab or a gum wrapper to be found 50' from the waterline by noon...Soem of the old Tourists with a camper that stay at the State Parks hunt all night....

Its really awful! Unproductive!...I was up at 3:30am and on the beach by 4, found a little over $3 clad and two full beers,...it was 55 degrees with a stiff wind blowing..I swept a goodly portion quick, probably walked 3 miles total for this paltry take...been doing this worthless routine for years though...just hoping..:laughing:..

It is an interesting dynamic on the Michigan big sand beaches...theres all sorts of gear that gets deployed by the locals and the tourists alike....anyone with a coil and scoop is working the sands, and 6 others are in the water....

So, about the only thing a guy can do is get out early and go really really fast..like a daily Speed hunt...a guy dont have to go deep, he's just looking for freshies dropped not 8hrs prior...speed and coverage is the key...theres not a pulltab or a gum wrapper to be found 50' from the waterline by noon...Soem of the old Tourists with a camper that stay at the State Parks hunt all night....

Its really awful! Unproductive!...I was up at 3:30am and on the beach by 4, found a little over $3 clad and two full beers,...it was 55 degrees with a stiff wind blowing..I swept a goodly portion quick, probably walked 3 miles total for this paltry take...been doing this worthless routine for years though...just hoping..:laughing:..

This is the same scenario for the Treasure coast beaches. Add a storm event and the parking lots will be filled with beach combers like it was detectival.

MD'g today is nothing like it was 20 - 30 years ago

I do Tybee beach quite often. Only two other regular swingers. A few new faces pop up especially around summer. Like said above most folks are looking for fresh and shallow dropped stuff. Most hunt the popular beach spots. I hunt them too bout will go to the lease favorable swinging spots. I use the Safari on the beach and hunt for deep targets. I almost always come home home with a relic or jewelry. My last hunt prodeced this copper 3 cent piece. Little before that this 14k blue star sapphire ring. Most finds are silver jewelry.
4ac4689114e2e2e892c914a3052ed356.jpg
7083c9aac4a5cdeb4860a4711509fec1.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

It really doesn't matter how many are out there. Knowing your machine and how to use it are half the battle. A lot also have inferior machines. Nobody can get it all or cover every inch they hit.

It really doesn't matter how many are out there. Knowing your machine and how to use it are half the battle. A lot also have inferior machines. Nobody can get it all or cover every inch they hit.

Very true! I hit a beach on July 5th morning, at least a dozen other detectorist out there swinging on the dry sand, I went over areas that had been heavily pounded and I was hitting nice pocket coin spills all over the place. I noticed a lot of hunters were swinging their coils way too high and with the classic "smiley face" pattern, others were just hauling azz way too fast.. to each their own I guess..I made out with $20.35 in freshly dropped clad, no gold or silver unfortunately, but there was potential for sure.

wow im glad i dont see that much where i detect:D

That's because people are sissies and don't want to play in our rocky beaches. :laughing:

Seriously though we've had an influx of new water hunters in CT. It sucks.

Maybe those of us who detect are the very reason that there are so many new people out detecting.

We talk about detecting. We show our finds. We inspire people to join the ranks of those who detect.

Folks find the forums and see the pictures, read about how much fun we had and conjure up visions of finding piles of treasure.

Yep Just maybe you and I are the very reason that we are being over run with new coil swingers.

Maybe those of us who detect are the very reason that there are so many new people out detecting.

We talk about detecting. We show our finds. We inspire people to join the ranks of those who detect.

Folks find the forums and see the pictures, read about how much fun we had and conjure up visions of finding piles of treasure.

Yep Just maybe you and I are the very reason that we are being over run with new coil swingers.

Kind of why i quit posting my finds. You get the lurkers looking for where you are at. :shock: Someone ask my forum name i say i have several and walk off:lol:

Back
Top Bottom