Are streams near old battlefields worth the time?

Reuben

I live a county rich with Civil War history, and I am curious to know if detecting along minor stream banks is worth the effort. These streams are ~5+ miles away from key battlegrounds and major encampments.

Well, the troops had to get to the battlefield from some where, and they needed water. So I'd say yes. Might check to see the route the troops took to see where they may have crossed or came closest the streams.

Remember also that streams can migrate, over time, shifting their courses and banks by as much as a mile or more. So check for depressions in the ground that might have been the stream's route in years gone by.

SageGrouse

Heavy rains and flooding can also carry artifacts into the stream and migrate varying distances. If they are close, I would definitely hunt them.

Go look at Aquachigger's find on the Garrett AT Pro site and you will want to investigate every stream you see!! His finds might be on this forum also.

I live a county rich with Civil War history, and I am curious to know if detecting along minor stream banks is worth the effort. These streams are ~5+ miles away from key battlegrounds and major encampments.

I avoided water until this year. The best spots are where the river bends. I have found a lot of valuable objects on both sides of the bend at a river near me.

Hunting around streams is a fantastic idea. A lot of good advice on this thread. How big are these streams? Larger ones probably didn't migrate but if it was a small stream, it could have formed in the last 100 yrs. Banks are a good place to start but remember, the soldiers had to get down to the water, so eventually, I would head down to the waters edge and hunt there.

Back
Top Bottom