• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

ok, this one is bugging me, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I lowered the points by "alot." It just makes sense.

If I've been on the forum since 2006, and only have 47 rep. power, then what chance would others have? You would have to post like 100,000 posts! :lol:

We'll see how it works out, and I'll adjust as necessary.

There's several things in play here, and rather confusing.

Reputation Points
Reputation Level
Reputation Power
Alternate-Reputation Power

I was on an arborist forum a couple of years ago (yes, there are other forums out there besides metal detecting...:lol:) and after so many good marks, I think one hundred, you rec'd a nova, which is basically a gold star..

I was thinking more like this :lol:

Attachments

• ccrp_0910_01_z+1970_chevrolet_nova+front_view[1].jpg
    ccrp_0910_01_z+1970_chevrolet_nova+front_view[1].jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 203
Hello!

Well, our testing of these new features is not going too well. Lots of bugs.

For now, I've turned off "infractions" I don't think we need it, anyone can just use the Report Post button, or the Rep disapprove feedback.
Just a toy we don't need. We have a friendly forum anyway. :grin:

Another thing I turned off is the Thread Ratings. I don't think we need them. In my opinion, one members thread is not better than another member's thread. We are ALL important, and we ALL love the hobby.

Now, the Rep power already has issues, as I mentioned in an earlier post. Not sure if we'll be keeping it or not. The settings are "way out there" and I'm not sure it's worth the hassle to keep it running, but we'll see.

Hello!

Well, our testing of these new features is not going too well. Lots of bugs.

For now, I've turned off "infractions" I don't think we need it, anyone can just use the Report Post button, or the Rep disapprove feedback.
Just a toy we don't need. We have a friendly forum anyway. :grin:

Another thing I turned off is the Thread Ratings. I don't think we need them. In my opinion, one members thread is not better than another member's thread. We are ALL important, and we ALL love the hobby.

Now, the Rep power already has issues, as I mentioned in an earlier post. Not sure if we'll be keeping it or not. The settings are "way out there" and I'm not sure it's worth the hassle to keep it running, but we'll see.

It seems this whole rep thing might lead to people doing too much rear end kissing. I'm still trying to figure out how it will benefit this simple forum. I like how you all keep the site concise, clean, and none of the rating stuff. I trust that you and Vlad, and other admins will make the right decision.

Could you perhaps tell us why you wanted to implement the system? What were the pros and cons?

i think it was pretty much the "yomero" thread that made us decide to try it out. We were looking for a good way to add to the "trust" factor, as far as buying and selling equipment, and some type of "feedback."

We figured a good reputation would be an easy factor into the equation, because right now, buying and selling is based on "How long they've been a member," and "How active they are on the forum."

However, reputation hasn't turned out to be what we thought it was, and the numbers can be easily "skewed." So a member cannot really base his buying and selling to another member via the reputation setting.

So, it has turned out to be just another forum toy to play with.

...Another thing I turned off is the Thread Ratings. I don't think we need them. In my opinion, one members thread is not better than another member's thread. We are ALL important, and we ALL love the hobby...

Good, thanks. I felt the same. Giving anyone less than a 5 is basically saying one poster's thread is less interesting than another's. People can scan the number of replies to get a general idea and informative thread titles help also to give people with limited time an idea of what to read.

I don't believe that I would be afraid to trust any of the members of this forum, whether buying/selling/trading/. I have done business with many people on the forums, some have hundreds of posts and some very few & knock on wood I haven't had a single problem. I know it isn't going to happen but my opinion is a feedback section would be a great. It is easy, nothing gets dragged out..... example -

I bought x detector from so & so, he mailed it out quick, it was just as he said it was and I am very happy with the transaction. Thanks Mr. so & so and thank you Friendly forum. Steve.

See short and sweet and lets everyone know about the buyer and the seller.

Oops wait a minute this thread was meant for showing a members ranking so to speak and nothing to do with feedback on transactions. Sorry, oh well I still think a feedback section is a good idea.

Attachments

• Great Idea_0.jpg
    Great Idea_0.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 159
Yeah, this thread is about member feedback, because that's why we turned on Reputation to see if it would be what we needed.

I bought x detector from so & so, he mailed it out quick, it was just as he said it was and I am very happy with the transaction. Thanks Mr. so & so and thank you Friendly forum. Steve.

That type of comment could easily be added to Visitor Messages. I don't feel like there is a need to clutter the forum with member feedback. We have 16,000 members!

Yeah, this thread is about member feedback, because that's why we turned on Reputation to see if it would be what we needed.

That type of comment could easily be added to Visitor Messages. I don't feel like there is a need to clutter the forum with member feedback. We have 16,000 members!

Hmm since there are that many members, never mind the feedback section..... how about having each member send me $1.00 for me being such a nice sweet guy that never pokes fun at anyone or any yellow detector..... I figure a measly $16,000 could buy me a half way decent used detector and maybe have enough left for dinner at McDonald's.

Attachments

• detector.jpg
    detector.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 138
I am on another forum where you can't post items for sale until you have 100 posts.This helps to eliminate people that join just to sell something and it helps buyers because you know that the seller has invested time in the forum.You can even check their statistics to see if their posts are valid or just bs to get to 100 posts.This is just my 2¢ for what it's worth.

Carol i think we will spot the con artists,trouble makers and so on without all the gadgets,it your choice tho.We have seen off a good few of them over a few years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom