Advice to all the newbies...let's talk about zinc and gold!

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
Wrote this on 11-9-11
Today is 12-29-11 and I have to edit this thread with my newest gold find!
See my newest post, # 84 page 5.

Tons of newbies onboard, lately, more coming on every day.
Welcome to one of the best hobbies you will ever have, and to the best forum on the net regarding this great thing we do.

I know plenty of you have lots to learn, and it can be very confusing when you are just starting out.
Hang in there...we all went through this stage, and with patience and practice the confusion fades away and the real fun begins!

We are after all treasure hunters, aren't we, each and every one of us.
What could be more exciting, fun, and rewarding than that?

This post is about something I learned a while ago, and since there are so many new people here now I thought I will pass it on.

This is about digging all those stupid little zinc signals.

Hate doing that?
Sure ya do...or you will.
I mean, who wants to break their back or their knees digging a silly zinc penny, right?

There are so many of these compared to most other signals, besides the trash ones, that is.

The problem is, if you pass these by 100% of the time, and make no mistake lots of hunters do, well, you might just be missing something good... real good.
Maybe even one of those once in a lifetime finds.

When it come to zinc, there are so many things in this world made up of this metal besides modern pennies.

I myself have found pins and jewelry, tokens galore, including this one that is one of my most cherished finds.
It was 4 inches deep and showed up on my F2 and sounded just like a zinc penny.

token.jpg token good 2.jpg

It is huge and interesting and rare.

In many searches on the net and in all the token sites I can find, I am the only person to have posted a picture of this particular one from the city of Birmingham.
The company that made and distributed this in 1922 had stores in other cities and states, but I can't find any other evidence that anyone around here, or anywhere, ever dug a Birmingham one up before.

On another forum, one member told me there is a well respected book about tokens on the market, and the author mentioned that there are some others in existence.
5 others...that's it!

Did I mention thrill of a lifetime?
This is what I meant!

Now lets talk about another metal we all seek...GOLD!

You need to know that this is the metal that can be found here, there, and everywhere under the ground we search.
Unfortunately for us, that is also exactly where it could show up on our detectors...here, there and everywhere!

Depending on the size, shape, and soil conditions it can be found anywhere, from almost near iron all the way up into the silver side.
The type of karats have an effect on this too.
The purer the gold the more conductive it is so if you are lucky enough to come across something very rare like 22 or 24 karat gold, it could most certainly behave just like a clad or silver dime and quarter...also very high conductors.

As you will see if you read these forums that for the most part, gold is going to be found in the foil, nickel and tab areas because a large amount of gold objects and rings and pendants are the size that seems to fit in these areas, well.
But not all of them.

The bigger pieces and rings might, can, and frequently do show up right where our least favorite coin to find does also...zinc!

I have been telling people for awhile to dig that zinc.
I have done this since the day I started in this hobby and I will do it till the day I can't lift my detectors anymore.

Here are three, (now 4...bonesquat just joined the club!), reasons why from some members and myself about why it is a good idea to do this.

All of us used the great little F2 to find our prizes, but no matter what you swing the rules are the same.
Do a search on the net and you will find many others have dug zinc and have been surprised, with all kinds of detectors, too.

Basically, all the whistles and bells in the world can not ever tell you 100% what you are really scanning, and you will never truly know till you dig your target and hold it in your hot little hands.

Read the threads, look at the pictures and decide if you want to be one of those "cherry picker" type of hunters or like me, a "dig it all'' kind of guy.

It's a hobby, do it the way you want and enjoy the heck out of it, however, think about some of those zinc signals you already have, or in the future, might pass by.

The words I live by doing this hobby are simple...

"Dig it all...you just never know!"

HH

gold ring.jpg

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=92116

ring 3.jpg

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=72110

These next two are both mine!
31 grams of 10k gold, total.

my ring.jpg

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=80674

ring 2.jpg

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=97471

zinc ring.jpg

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=95750

You see? DIG THAT ZINC!

Tons of newbies onboard, lately, more coming on every day.
Welcome to one of the best hobbies you will ever have, and to the best forum on the net regarding this great thing we do.

I know plenty of you have lots to learn, and it can be very confusing when you are just starting out.
Hang in there...we all went through this stage, and with patience and practice the confusion fades away and the real fun begins!

We are after all treasure hunters, aren't we, each and every one of us.
What could be more exciting, fun, and sometimes very rewarding than that?

This post is about something I learned a while ago, and since there are so many new people here now I thought I will pass it on.

This is about digging all those stupid little zinc signals.

Hate doing that?
Sure ya do...or you will.
I mean, who want's to break their back or their knees digging a silly zinc penny, right?

There are so many of these compared to most other signals, besides the trash ones, that is.

The problem is, if you pass these by 100% of the time, and make no mistake lots of hunters do, well, you might just be missing something good... real good.
Maybe even one of those once in a lifetime finds.

When it come to zinc, there are so many things in this world made up of this metal besides modern pennies.

I myself have found pins and jewelry, tokens galore, including this one that is one of my most cherished finds.
It was 4 inches deep and showed up on my F2 and sounded just like a zinc penny would have.

View attachment 123811 View attachment 123812

It is huge and interesting and rare.

In many searches on the net and in all the token sites I can find, I am the only person to have posted a picture of this particular one from the city of Birmingham.
The company that made and distributed this in 1922 had stores in other cities and states, but I can't find any other evidence that anyone around here, or anywhere, ever dug a Birmingham one up before.

On another forum, one member told me there is a well respected book about tokens on the market, and the author mentioned that there are some others in existence.
5 others...that's it!

Did I mention thrill of a lifetime?
This is what I meant!

Now lets talk about another metal we all seek...GOLD!

You need to know that this is the metal that can be found here, there, and everywhere under the ground we search.
Unfortunately for us, that is also exactly where it could show up on our detectors...here, there and everywhere!

Depending on the size, shape, and soil conditions it can be found anywhere, from almost near iron all the way up into the silver side.
The type of karats have an effect on this too.
The purer the gold the more conductive it is so if you are lucky enough to come across something very rare like 22 or 24 karat gold, it could most certainly behave just like a clad or silver dime and quarter...also very high conductors.

As you will see if you read these forums that for the most part, gold is going to be found in the foil, nickel and tab areas because a large amount of gold objects and rings and pendants are the size that seems to fit in these areas, well.
But not all of them.

The bigger pieces and rings might, can, and frequently do show up right where our least favorite coin to find does also...zinc!

I have been telling people for awhile to dig that zinc.
I have done this since the day I started in this hobby and I will do it till the day I can't lift my detectors anymore.

Here are three reasons why from some members and myself about why it is a good idea to do this.

All of us used the great little F2 to find our prizes, but no matter what you swing the rules are the same.
Do a search on the net and you will find many others have dug zinc and have been surprised, with all kinds of detectors, too.

Basically, all the whistles and bells in the world can not ever tell you 100% what you are really scanning, and you will never truly know till you dig your target and hold it in your hot little hands.

Read the threads, look at the pictures and decide if you want to be one of those "cherry picker" type of hunters or like me, a "dig it all' kind of guy.

It's a hobby, do it the way you want and enjoy the heck out of it.
However, think about some of those zinc signals you already have, or in the future, might pass by.

The words I live by doing this hobby are simple...

"Dig it all...you just never know!"

HH

View attachment 123807

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=92116

View attachment 123810

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=72110

View attachment 123809

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=80674

You see? DIG THAT ZINC!

Pardon this little tightwad, but, uh-well-the pennies can pay for the batteries.

Trust me, or ask the others.
It's a drag to dig these hunt after hunt, but the very second you dig that nice golden surprise...it all becomes worth it!

Yet *another* great, informative post from you Digger...and I feel honored to be a representative of what you're talking about ...I really don't believe that I would've gotten into the habit of digging zinc signals if it wasn't for your previous posts about the subject. You really should think about organizing some kind of handbook for an introduction to detecting, and I vote that your posts on this be stickied :D

GL, and HH all!

Great advice -

That's why I spend so much time reading here; all you folks with experience are more than willing to share your knowledge with us new people. Thank you for sharing -

I like this hobby more each day -

TB

Yet *another* great, informative post from you Digger...and I feel honored to be a representative of what you're talking about ...I really don't believe that I would've gotten into the habit of digging zinc signals if it wasn't for your previous posts about the subject. You really should think about organizing some kind of handbook for an introduction to detecting, and I vote that your posts on this be stickied :D

GL, and HH all!

Thanks!

The wife keeps telling me to start a blog...try to make some advertising money.
Considering it.

Great advice -

That's why I spend so much time reading here; all you folks with experience are more than willing to share your knowledge with us new people. Thank you for sharing -

I like this hobby more each day -

TB

Keep reading and learning.
I ain't that experienced...only been doing this since a year ago February.
I learn from others, and I try to pass on anything that I think can help someone else...plus anything cool or interesting I learn on my own.

That is what makes this hobby so great...the kind of people in it that really try to help the next guy enjoy this hobby even more.

I have dug a LOT of sterling silvers that rang up in the penny range... If theres a signal, I dig it! :D

:grin:I enjoy reading all the more experienced detectors posts. It gives me hints and ideas as to better my own finds. I am not in the older part of the country like in the east and north or south, where the history is much richer and older then here.
But, I still believe there are great finds out here for me, I just have to keep hunting and researching the local history. Thanks to Digger and all the others who are willing to share their knowledge with us new guys!

HH!

Back
Top Bottom