Trash Picking Pays Off!

mysteriousnesss

Elite Member
I know how it sounds...but I'm not referring to going through people's garbage. I live in an area with a lot of apartments, so people who move out always leave cardboard boxes with nicnacs when they move. The other day I saw a box loaded with CD's and computer stuff so I decided to sift through, and to my delight, I found an old candle stick holder. It was in terrible shape, gross patina and lots of melted wax....BUTTTT...somehow I knew it was silver. I took it home, shined it up, froze it to remove the wax, and now I have a lovely International Sterling, Weighted and Reinforced Candlestick Holder. I know the 3 ounces it weighs don't reflect the actual silver content, but there's easily an ounce of Sterling here to be scrapped. Frankly though, I like how it looks on my kitchen table. Goes to show, sometimes people simply throw out their silver!

Attachments

• IMG_0240.jpg
    IMG_0240.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 337
  • IMG_0242.jpg
    IMG_0242.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 330
My friend I grew up with calls it treasure hunting instead of dumpster diving. He has a specific route he checks every week the night before the garbage pick up is in an old well to do neighborhood. he sells the antique furniture they throw out and does pretty well at it:lol:

Nice score! I always do a slow drive by when someone has a box of free stuff sitting out. I've never found anything that nice though.

My friend I grew up with calls it treasure hunting instead of dumpster diving. He has a specific route he checks every week the night before the garbage pick up is in an old well to do neighborhood. he sells the antique furniture they throw out and does pretty well at it:lol:

Right there with you Itsaring. I had a friend that everyone made fun of until they saw what he sold all of that "junk" for.

Back
Top Bottom