wierd 1924 wheat error?

possibly a struck through... but then the question would be through what.. maybe a small woodchip? i've seen wheats struck though wire and cloth so...... yeah that's my guess

I agree. I say struck through error. But hard to tell without coIn. In hand. Nice find either way. Lamination peal would have went all the way and not stopped at the rim. WOLF

Last edited:
This is Definitely a lamination peel. If you look on the left end of the peel, you can see where the annealing of the blank was off and caused the metal the peel under high pressure.

Copper has grains so maybe as it was heated and bent it did not fuse well. BUT, It don't look like that per the picture. And where did the piece go that was there? Anyway, not argueing just curious. In hand it would be easier to tell what it is. WOLF

Last edited:
Dang was hoping I found something unique, but sounds like not so much maybe ill just sell it on eBay and put the money towards the at pro I want!

Dang was hoping I found something unique, but sounds like not so much maybe ill just sell it on eBay and put the money towards the at pro I want!

It is unique wether a strike through or lamination peal. But don't count on a whole lotta dough for this one. It is to hard to determine what it is from pics. WOLF

Lamination peel would have typically more ragged edges along the length of it. Looks like a strike through during the original stamping of the coin to KT...any linear bit of trash, whether metal, plastic or wood could have produced such an impression at the high pressure developed during stamping. As to what happened to the item that caused it...it fell out when the coin was ejected from the press! It is very rare to find the piece causing such an error. In 1924 the machines were very different presses than those nowadays...and quality control was not as good as today.

The coin is one of a kind, but not particularly valuable. Value of $5.00 or less to an error collector, like KT. The King would have to dig through his volumes of error coins to find a similar one but is certain He has one similar in the Royal Collection.

Dear Kickindirt I showed my Dad the picture of the coin and he said that this had to be a errror because when that much prssure is aplied to the coin after it is out of the mold it would show on the penny the oposite side would be pushed out a little so the coin had to be in the press and a small chip for something got put in there when the coin was being stamped to result in this error and my Dad have been a tool and die tool maker for 30 years so he is very exsperienced in this type of making process

That's why that pic of the reverse was important.

I didn't get a reply yet on a professional opinion. Still waiting.

But I like a "struck-through" thinking. It looks better to me after seeing the reverse.

Back
Top Bottom