Lincoln Logs

pplinker

Forum Supporter
Got my 7 year old granddaughter some Lincoln logs for Christmas, among other things. She got a bunch of presents, among them an American Doll from her other grandmother. She liked the doll but was having a great time with the logs, too. Her Dad kept them out till they left so she would have something to occupy herself. Love the smell of them. She was doing real well following the illustration to build the cabin. Very smart. She had a few mistakes, so I showed her about demolition like my brother showed me when we were kids. You take one of the roof slates and put it under the cabin with a small block as a lever. Pound your fist down on the end of the roof slats and blow it to sliverines! She did pretty good though and was able to follow the directions for the most part. Toward the end she was showing the other side of her character and building a dance floor. Oh well. We went metal detecting yesterday and she found 95 cents. We also climbed to the top of Big Rock. Love Grandkids!

Got my 7 year old granddaughter some Lincoln logs for Christmas, among other things. She got a bunch of presents, among them an American Doll from her other grandmother. She liked the doll but was having a great time with the logs, too. Her Dad kept them out till they left so she would have something to occupy herself. Love the smell of them. She was doing real well following the illustration to build the cabin. Very smart. She had a few mistakes, so I showed her about demolition like my brother showed me when we were kids. You take one of the roof slates and put it under the cabin with a small block as a lever. Pound your fist down on the end of the roof slats and blow it to sliverines! She did pretty good though and was able to follow the directions for the most part. Toward the end she was showing the other side of her character and building a dance floor. Oh well. We went metal detecting yesterday and she found 95 cents. We also climbed to the top of Big Rock. Love Grandkids!

Sounds like a great time..to be honest never heard lincoln logs.

They are called Paul Bunyon logs now. Brown logs that fit together and the slats for the roof are green. Come in a cylindrical cardboard box. Make cabins out of them. They are still made of real wood, so they smell good. If you never had any you're either very young or you missed out!

I played with both Lincoln logs and tinker toys, then legos (remember the LEGO people with no real arms or legs :lol:) my kids played with some Lincoln logs we bought at a yard sale awhile back. Fun :)

Lincoln Logs, been around for over 100 years now. As American as Tinkertoys, Erector sets and Barrel full 'o Monkeys! Oh yeah and Slinkeys (remember them? Almost as popular as LOG Who remembers Ren and Stimpy? :cool:

Wow, that was one of my favorite toys as a little kid !

https://www.amazon.com/LINCOLN-LOGS-Anniversary-Construction-Education/dp/B00RWNEN9W

lincolnlogs.jpg

I had an "Erector Set" too, here is a 1959 "Sears Wishbook" page for it -

http://www.wishbookweb.com/FB/1959_Sears_Christmas_Book/files/assets/basic-html/page-386.html

I flipped thru the pages of toys and saw several toys I had as a kid, neat memories !

Pick a year and see your old favorite toys in these online Sears Wishbook catalogs -

http://www.wishbookweb.com/the-catalogs/

......just a few of my toys as a kid -

bb_game.jpg projector.jpg viewmaster.jpg

Lincoln logs predates Legos. I don't know how far they go back, I remember playing with them in the 60s, so probably at least the 40s or 50s. Erector sets used to be fun stuff to.

Most of those toys remember just not the Lincoln, heck I played with the cat's whisker little one diode Rocket Radio..remember always trying to get a radio station on it....probably a collectible now.

Christmas we had the figure 8 track cars played hours and hours. Had fun with the early tape recorders....great times.

When I was about 14 in the 70's, I built a crystal radio and it worked!
I thought I was the shiiizzz!
My buddy from across the street came over that afternoon to check it out.
He took it home to show his stepdad.
I never saw that radio again!

Yea I hear you. When I loose stuff to family are friends it is often tools and such. Those crystal sets were kind of magical to hear music from very few soldered parts..I beleive in the early war years a crystal could of been made from a few simple items a soldier would have.

Most of those toys remember just not the Lincoln, heck I played with the cat's whisker little one diode Rocket Radio..remember always trying to get a radio station on it....probably a collectible now.

Christmas we had the figure 8 track cars played hours and hours. Had fun with the early tape recorders....great times.

I remember having a radio like that also, something like this -

rocket_radio.jpg

Maybe it might have been this one from the 1977 catalog - (and only $3.97 :lol:)

http://www.wishbookweb.com/FB/1977_Sears_Wishbook/files/assets/basic-html/page-598.html

crystal_radio_kit.jpg

Yep , the Sears catalog used to be our Christmas wishbook . Parents would tell us kids to pick out about 3 of our favorite toys from the book and Santa might bring 1 , if we were good enough.

I wanted an erector set so badly, never got it. Got Lincoln Logs instead & had
many hours of fun building cabins. You had to figure it out there was no Google
back then. Today's kids don't know what they missed out on. Thanks for the
memories. :D

I had Lincoln logs as a kid and loved them! I thought they were the latest greatest thing until I found my fathers Lincoln logs buried in my grandmothers attic. Blew my mind that they were around that long back then and that was 40 years ago!

Yea, I was playing with them in the 60s , so I knew they were older than me . So Lincoln Logs just turned 100 years old last year. Wonder how many toys have lasted that long ? For some reason , Legos just never held my interest for very long , don't know why. That Erector set was cool, I'd build towers with cranes, cars , trucks with winches , lots of cool stuff. Sure did seem to be better times back then.

Yep , the Sears catalog used to be our Christmas wishbook . Parents would tell us kids to pick out about 3 of our favorite toys from the book and Santa might bring 1 , if we were good enough.

Hey, not that I thought I would ever get them all, or even more than a few, but I remember circling a LOT more than 3 toys in those Christmas catalogs :lol:

I wanted an erector set so badly, never got it. Got Lincoln Logs instead & had
many hours of fun building cabins. You had to figure it out there was no Google
back then. Today's kids don't know what they missed out on. Thanks for the
memories. :D

Hey, you can still buy an erector set now, just say it's a "collectable" item, and have fun :lol:

https://www.amazon.com/Classic-Cranes-Windmill-270-Pcs/dp/B001DJHOOW/ref=sr_1_1

Yea, I was playing with them in the 60s , so I knew they were older than me . So Lincoln Logs just turned 100 years old last year. Wonder how many toys have lasted that long ? For some reason , Legos just never held my interest for very long , don't know why. That Erector set was cool, I'd build towers with cranes, cars , trucks with winches , lots of cool stuff. Sure did seem to be better times back then.

http://www.wishbookweb.com/FB/1959_Sears_Christmas_Book/files/assets/basic-html/page-386.html

......I remember building a robot ! :lol:

(and before they came out with motorized sets, I improvised with a small battery powered electric motor and made an erector car that worked !)

erector_set.jpg

Back
Top Bottom