Apple I phone users (take note)

I think it is a lot like detectors. Remember all the problems some had other didn't? I've been using iPhone since the iPhone 4. Went to 5, 6 and use a 7+ now thinking about a X.Never had a single problem. Part of my job is setting up physicians phones for remote access to my network. Only problem I ever have is them darn Androids. iPhones have been flawless. I've never even heard of someone having issues with their iPhone.

I'd be a hard one to convert to anything but iPhone.

I know Windows Phones are a minor player in the phone market, but I really like my Nokia Lumia 1520, almost like having a small tablet computer.

Yep,no issues with any Apple stuff since I bought my old purple all in one iMac. The second I turn on my Windows machine it’s a big ball of shitt. All my GoPro editing is done on my iPad via the app from GoPro and no issues anything iOS related. I don’t think what the OP posted is even going to affect those of us who use our devices for simpler things anyway. I wouldn’t EVER consider an Android anything. Apple has been that good around my house...

In my house we are always arguing this conspiracy among each other. I think my kids use it as a ploy to upgrade claiming old Apple phones aren’t compatible with the updates?! I just bought 3 eights and 2 X’s so I am set for at least 6 months lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it is a lot like detectors. Remember all the problems some had other didn't? I've been using iPhone since the iPhone 4. Went to 5, 6 and use a 7+ now thinking about a X.Never had a single problem. Part of my job is setting up physicians phones for remote access to my network. Only problem I ever have is them darn Androids. iPhones have been flawless. I've never even heard of someone having issues with their iPhone.

iPhones hate me. Started with the 3, first came DOA, replacement lasted a week then fried on charger. Third lasted a long time. On 5s, first one was locked in this boot/stop/reboot cycle a couple of months in. Replacement lasted a year before it would shutdown on it's own with a nearly full charge, sometimes in the middle of a call. I gave up and got a Sony, it was an awesome phone. When the 6+ came out, my wife upgraded. I didn't think the cost was justified, so after research, I got an Honor 5X, international phone from Huawei, that had all of the features I wanted in the iPhone, but for $185. I'm still using it today, with nary a hiccup, and will likely look at importing another international phone whenever it finally starts acting up.

My wife thinks apples are messed up because of an implant I have (spinal cord stimulator). Who knows? She likes her phone, and I like mine. Ah, harmony!

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

I’ve been an iPhone user since the iPhone 3GS and have an iPhone X now. On some of my older phones once the battery was worn out due to too many cycles it would just randomly shut down even with 50% battery showing. This is not due to a problem with the phone.. it’s just what happens when the battery is toast and still trying to handle a heavy work load. Apple has already said they set up IOS to “throttle” processes to devices with degraded batteries to help prevent this. Basically, with software tweaks they’re extending the life of an otherwise unusable device. Makes perfect sense to me. I don’t think they do it to make users upgrade because once you replace the old battery the device runs like new again. I’ve seen this first hand.

Same here. My Apple devices have been outstanding. Can’t say the same about the Android phones I’ve tried.

Been using an Android-based Moto Play Z for well over a year with absolutely zero problems or complaints. With the Moto mod battery pack, it’ll literally go days between charges with heavy usage. I look forward to using it for at least a couple more years without concern for the manufacturer intentionally slowing its performance. All for under $200.

I really don’t know how folks justify a $1000 phone, Apple or not.

I really don’t know how folks justify a $1000 phone, Apple or not.

For the same reason we justify getting a $1000+ detector over a $200 one. My old Fisher F2 worked just fine. Found plenty of good stuff with it and never had any problems. That didn’t stop me from buying the CTX or Deus.

If you want something and you can afford it, why not?

In my house we are always arguing this conspiracy among each other. I think my kids use it as a ploy to upgrade claiming old Apple phones aren’t compatible with the updates?! I just bought 3 eights and 2 X’s so I am set for at least 6 months lol.

Just tell the kids for their next upgrade is going to be the tried and true , flip phone. :lol:

Just tell the kids for their next upgrade is going to be the tried and true , flip phone. :lol:

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Hey, just get them the "no batteries needed" phone :laughing::laughing::laughing:

tincanpic.jpg tincancomic.jpg

For the same reason we justify getting a $1000+ detector over a $200 one. My old Fisher F2 worked just fine. Found plenty of good stuff with it and never had any problems. That didn’t stop me from buying the CTX or Deus.

If you want something and you can afford it, why not?

I knew I had set myself up for that, especially once folks saw the lower level detector I own in my signature line! :lol:

Sure, I get the similarities in the analogy. As a detectorist, I can definitely see and appreciate the performance benefits of a CTX or other premium machine over a low end detector - and I understand how a serious hobbyist with the cash to spare can justify the purchase. I guess I just look at phones differently - I’m assuming that the vast majority of people dumping $1000 or more on the “latest and greatest” phone release are not power users, and the performance difference between the $200-$300 phones and $1000 models are completely lost on them. For them, the purchase boils down to just being able to say they have the new XXX phone - that’s what I meant by not understanding how they justify the purchase.

As a firmly middle class family guy with two young daughters, any purchase that gets into the hundreds of dollars or more gets scrutiny for whether we can afford it and justify it. Nothing that expensive can get bought just because I want it - else I face the wrath of a wife wondering why said purchase is more important than saving for retirement or kids’ college! :lol:

While I recognize that a CTX is a superior machine, I can say with certainty I will never own one (at least not new) - I could never personally justify the $2500 price tag when I can get somewhat similar performance from another detector at half the cost (Etrac, Deus, maybe Equinox?). But I’m not as serious a dectectorist as the next guy for whom the extra money is nothing compared to gaining every advantage in a hunt. Same idea goes for a $1000 phone - I personally don’t feel like I’m missing out on enough performance to justify going beyond a good $200 phone.

For them, the purchase boils down to just being able to say they have the new XXX phone - that’s what I meant by not understanding how they justify the purchase.

For me, its not so much about being able to say that I have the latest greatest XXX phone. I don't really care about that at all. Its the fact that I like the OS, I've had good experience with the device and manufacturer in the past, and I want the new features offered in the latest high end model enough to justify the price. Same with detectors. To each his own. :cheers: I understand completely what you're saying about justifying it vs other more important financial concerns though. Perhaps new mid priced machines like the Equinox will offer a lot of bang for the buck and will be easier to justify to our better halves. :)

Its the fact that I like the OS, I've had good experience with the device and manufacturer in the past, and I want the new features offered in the latest high end model enough to justify the price. Same with detectors. To each his own. :cheers:

:cheers: Apologies if I sounded like a judgmental jerk in that original post...on rereading, I guess I phrased things like flame bait...definitely not my intent at all!

Perhaps new mid priced machines like the Equinox will offer a lot of bang for the buck and will be easier to justify to our better halves. :)

That’s what I’m crossing my fingers for! Like you mentioned with your F2, I’ve been very pleased with my Ace 400 for what it is. But I can justify an upgrade soon, and if the Equinox lives up to just most of the hype, it’ll likely steal my business away from Garrett. :yes:

Think of it like this.

Some are happy with their $300 detectors and can't imagine why someone would spend $2,000 for a detector. But having owned many many detectors I have no problems forking out $2,000 for a detector when I could be spending $300. Why do you suppose that is? You think some of us just like spending $2,000 on a detector you feel can do the same for $300? Does that really make any sense? I've been swinging a detector for well over 40 years. Give me just a little more credit than that I just don't know any better.

The phone is the same way. I've had or worked with pretty much every phone from the flip phones to a few Androids to just about every iPhone released, yet I chose the iPhone. Not dissing the Android, but I've seen the comparison in reliability and compatibility. Androids just seem to always have issues while the iPhone stays rock solid. I set them up and never see them again. I work on keeping the Androids online contently.

I don't mind spending $1,000 on a smart phone because, like detectors, I feel you get what you pay for.

You think some of us just like spending $2,000 on a detector you feel can do the same for $300? Does that really make any sense? I've been swinging a detector for well over 40 years. Give me just a little more credit than that I just don't know any better.

I never said that I believe a $300 detector performs like a $2000 machine - I think that’s pretty clear if you read my post carefully. Please give me a little more credit than that, just as I certainly didn’t intend to insult your credibility (especially since you appear to be aggrevated by words I didn’t say).

What I did say is that, for those of us who need to adhere to a stricter budget, it is difficult to justify paying $2500 for a top flight detector, when something like a Deus or Etrac is available for fully half that. I don’t know that the performance increase can be truly quantified, but let’s say you get a 10-20% increase in performance. Is that worth over a 100% increase in price? For a serious detectorist, sure. For me, with a family and a budget to meet, I can’t do it whether I want to or not.

What I also said is that, for me, the same rationale applies to phones. The minimal useful performance increase compared to paying 5 times more for the phone isn’t worth it...to me. If you are in a financial position where that amount of money is more easily expendable, that’s great - I applaud you. I freely admit that I’m not there at this time.

As far as android vs iOS...it’s like Ford vs Chevy. No answer to that one, and I’m truly sorry I put a dog into this clearly touchy fight here. For what it’s worth, I use both. My phones have always been android. I fly a drone for my side business using a dedicated android tablet as the connected device, but use an iPad as a backup device. I fly manned aircraft professionally, and I use a personal iPad as my electronic flight bag, and a company supplied android tablet as my backup. IMHO, there are serious pros and cons to both operating systems and device types - but I learned my lesson here, and will leave the discussion at that.

Its the fact that I like the OS, I've had good experience with the device and manufacturer in the past, and I want the new features offered in the latest high end model enough to justify the price. Same with detectors. To each his own.

I just updated the OS to 11.2.1 on my 6 plus yesterday, I do not like this new update! I think the layout looks worse (loose and scattered looking compared to tight layout of old) and it keeps demanding I sign in to Apple Pay (which I don’t want). I like where you could opt in or not for certain features, not telling me I have to...

The updates have slowed my 6 plus down, sure it’s the battery as well not holding what it used to. Used to get an upgrade every year or so for $200 to the next gen iphone, but since the carriers cut that program out I’ve been hanging onto what I have for dear life in fear of it going dead and getting stuck buying a $7-8-9-1,000 phone...

iPhones hate me. Started with the 3, first came DOA, replacement lasted a week then fried on charger. Third lasted a long time. On 5s, first one was locked in this boot/stop/reboot cycle a couple of months in. Replacement lasted a year before it would shutdown on it's own with a nearly full charge, sometimes in the middle of a call. I gave up and got a Sony, it was an awesome phone. When the 6+ came out, my wife upgraded. I didn't think the cost was justified, so after research, I got an Honor 5X, international phone from Huawei, that had all of the features I wanted in the iPhone, but for $185. I'm still using it today, with nary a hiccup, and will likely look at importing another international phone whenever it finally starts acting up.

My wife thinks apples are messed up because of an implant I have (spinal cord stimulator). Who knows? She likes her phone, and I like mine. Ah, harmony!

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

I'm in the same boat as you but have the Honor 6X, paid like $200 for it. Not had any problems at all with it. My wife has the Iphone 8 and other then her's taking a little better pictures (Honor is pretty good as well) don't see how a $600 difference is worth it to me. That and the fact that mine is more of an emergency phone as far a calls and texting go I just get those $10 T-mobile cards. 30 minutes of talk/text a month for $3 a month it's all I need. If I'm at home I have TextNow (free app) installed on it and can call anyone I want nationwide over Wifi for nothing. No way I'm giving Verizon over $100 a month.

Back
Top Bottom