• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

HOLY $&+¥ !!!!! Look at this pocket watch!!!!

Hey Chip! what a great find! Did your sassy friends at the museum have any idea as to its age? That would be a cool face plate to have restored and assembled on a working model!

I was curbstrip hunting in Fernandina Beach, Florida today. If you’re not familiar with Fernandina Beach / Amelia Island, it’s history goes back to the 1600s and 8 different flags have flown over it.

I've been on Fernandina Beach/Amelia Island on vacation!

Do a google image search for Goliath Roskopf and you'll some similar examples of the watch. Dates late 1890s early 1900s. Roskopf invented a new system of movements, won some awards for it, and sold them for further customization. You'll see various cases and marks of other brands of the face.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georges_Frederic_Roskopf

Here is a picture of what it most likely looked like back in its glory days. It’s not an exact representation, this one is a bit older but my guess is that yours is most likely from the period of 1900-1920 just based on the dial fonts and adornments. Its a Swiss watch and unfortunately horrible records were kept regarding them. The typical cases used were usually a base metal with brass accents. Yours appears to be steel. The movements themselves were typically of very good quality. It’s a beautiful find, Congratulations!!

Eric

Attachments

• F872BBB7-AC7A-431C-8825-DE9DBD7C4543.jpg
    F872BBB7-AC7A-431C-8825-DE9DBD7C4543.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 479
They are larger than I would expect for a watch of this size. My wife has several nice emerald rings and they are larger than any of the stones in her rings

At first I thought that pocket watch wasnt all that nice but after seeing what it was and how ornate it is, I am really impressed. That is a really sweet find. Although its toasted, maybe you can salvage those emeralds out of that. Would be really interesting to see if you are able to do something with them. Either way, nice find and congrats.

I don’t want to burst anyones emerald bubble but typically those are very thin slices of an emerald, in a way, much like a chip. Maybe electrolysis could help the case clean up a bit. If it were mine, I’d print a quality photo of a similar watch and place that in my display cabinet with the watch and a description of what it once was. But that is also why my wife thinks I’m a nutcase hahahahaha

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom