Pro-Pointer Tip Protection **UPDATE**

I've got dirt clogging up my speaker hole right now!

on day one i put a piece of electrical tape over the speaker hole ta keep dirt and moisture out......plus it will quiet the unit down some. i also did the exact same thing with my profinder...tape over the speaker hole & bedliner a couple inches up the tip

Stubby here

I was kind of rough on it this summer.
digging through dirt piles at the park and whatnot.
Honestly, it is about a half-inch shorter now, but still kicking:laughing:

Attachments

• Stubby.jpg
    Stubby.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 970
Based on this thread I coated the tip today from the word "Garrett" down to the tip, my pointer was still in good shape. I had some spray undercoating in a can left over from a project on my sled trailer. I'm going to dip a little of that area in that colored dip stuff for tools mentioned earlier in the thread for a tad more protection and visibility, we'll see how it goes and report back here. I'm also gonna wrap some 3M reflective tape around the diameter of it somewhere for i.d. purposes and to reflect back if need be.

***edit*** using undercoater is basically blackmspraypaint, not thick like bedliner stuff but that's what I had. I gave the tip 2 dips of that Rustoleum tool handle dip stuff in yellow sonwe'll see how it holds up.

Hmmm... I gotta try something else... Appears I am just brutal with mine.... Used the plastic dip... Did not last that long... Went to bed liner... 2 to 3 coats... Lasts about a month or so... This dirt here in Az is nasty stuff... And yeah, I probably put a good deal of pressure on it... But and I try to keep that in mind... But, when all is said and done... Am still looking for a tougher way to protect. Mine is really worn on one side... Plus I almost only hunt at night... Omakes me rely on it... Big time. Lol. No lights other than the one on my pp. I like the dark. So... Any other suggestions? Thanks.

I use a 5/8" thinner made plastic cap for the tip and wrap the entire pinpointer in a layer of 3M super series electrical tape.

Super easy to wipe clean, cap protects tip well.

Good idea! Let us know if you have any adherence issues over time. I'm pretty sure the Polyester resin won't make a chemical bond with the plastic of the PP. I'm guessing over time the tip will pop off.

That being said, if your tip was getting pretty scratched, that could help with giving the adhesion a little "tooth". I thought about using some of that rubber "tool handle dip" they sell at Home Depot. You know, the kind made for replacing worn wrench grips... Either way, I hope you cleaned the end with alcohol first. That will help as well. Keep us posted.

I once used that stuff (from a spray can) to water proof my work boots. It worked out great!

Hmmm... Ok... So.. went and bought a pack of 4 heavy rubber chair leg things... Put on on... Fit nice and snug... Good so far... Lost a tiny bit of distance in air test... But... All for naught... No longer would it fit in my buzz two sheath. Back to the ol drawing board for me... My poor pp... All worn on one side. Am beginning to think I am just gonna have to keep renewing the bed liner... Gotta be a better way though....

Howdy buzz... Yup... May just try that... Am wondering if I should try and remove the coats of the bed liner I had on it first... It's worn off on the flat spot of course... But still runs a good two inches up. Or should I leave it on? Is your epoxy trick still holding up well?
Thanks!

I was kind of rough on it this summer.
digging through dirt piles at the park and whatnot.
Honestly, it is about a half-inch shorter now, but still kicking:laughing:

Have really good joke to use with this pic but I shall refrain....:laughing:

Hey guess what, Dirt and rocks wear stuff out. I worked heavy construction for 25 years and replaced teeth and cutting edges on equipment regularly. What is Garrett gonna do? They obviously can't use steel and if they could then the complaint would be the pointer "is to heavy". WAH WAH.

I have tried plasti dip, every brand of bed liner, and even " undercoating rubber". Even with multiple coats nothing lasts me more that 12 hunts. Alota gravel and rocks here. So now I will be buying a package of rubber caps ($5) and replace the cap every 12 hunts or so. That way no messy spraying and having to "re-coat/prep" a dirty and non-uniformly worn surface

Hmmm... Ok... So.. went and bought a pack of 4 heavy rubber chair leg things... Put on on... Fit nice and snug... Good so far... Lost a tiny bit of distance in air test... But... All for naught... No longer would it fit in my buzz two sheath. Back to the ol drawing board for me... My poor pp... All worn on one side. Am beginning to think I am just gonna have to keep renewing the bed liner... Gotta be a better way though....

Did the same thing. I used a sheath from a Vibra-Probe. Can't remember where I got mine but they don't cost much. The chair rubber thingy fits through the hole.

Can't imagine how the tip would get worn out so easily. It's not a digging tool. It's not a tent stake. Why would you shove a $130 tool into hard rocky ground? Don't think there are too many rocks, that aren't harder than plastic, or won't gouge it. It's a wand, not a probe...

Is pinpointing with your metal detector so complicated, that you can't come within 2 inches of the target? Is that why you need to shove your $130 tool in the ground, before digging a plug?

Guess I'm just luck, and we have loose, sandy soil, no natural stone in florida. Still can't imagine digging with my PP. I'll push the sand around a little, but don't shove it in. For the price, and how critically important the Garrett PP is to most of the happy owners, seems like most abuse their valued tool. Guess that's why you need two or three...

Back
Top Bottom