Thin coin...Need help

dirtdigger1581

Went out detecting tonight for about an hour. Hunted a field in Western Germany not far from my house. I found this thin coin...At least I think it's a coin. It's very thin and barely any detail left on it. I can make out the letters "MEIL" on the bottom of it, but I'm not familiar enough with European coins yet to know where to start looking. I did a search for German coins + MEIL but didn't find anything that had those letters. Can anyone help out? I would greatly appreciate it!

HH

-Nate

Attachments

• Coin.jpg
    Coin.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 277
Are those letters stamped into the coin? Most coins have raised letters and I know pictures can make them look one direction when they actually are the other way around.

I'm not having much luck either. The picture looks like there's another letter before MEIL and there may be a 25c in the center. Even tokens typically have raised letters though. Maybe an old ID tag of some sort? Is it copper?

Could it be a button back or something of that sort?

Looks like two little round places in center where a shank could have been attached...maybe or maybe it just looks like it due to the crud build up.

95FA6BBD-7D58-4835-BBF1-BD5AF5F06050_zpse6wrri3f.jpg

A few languages contain the word "Meil". I cannot find a German meaning for the word. Found words in French, Estonian, and Welsh.

In French, "Best Quality" or some such.
In Estonian, "we have"
In Welsh, rub

Checked every language that would have passed through Germany regularly - both eastern and western European language.

Probably a token of some sort, not a coin.

Back
Top Bottom