This must be human nature....

Just getting out and enjoying the hobby is a win win IMO. After years of digging a little bit of everything if I don't find a silver coin or whatever I am not dissapointed. Just how it is now after all the years of people detecting.

I think I speak for a lot of West coast hunters when I say iit's cool but a bummer to hear about walkers and seateds and IH etc being pulled out of parks etc...we simply don't have that out west. I have to be content with chewed up clad hit by lawn mowers and hope for the rare jewelry find. I guess I could hunt for cw relics ...and hens teeth while I'm at it.

I think I speak for a lot of West coast hunters when I say iit's cool but a bummer to hear about walkers and seateds and IH etc being pulled out of parks etc...we simply don't have that out west. I have to be content with chewed up clad hit by lawn mowers and hope for the rare jewelry find. I guess I could hunt for cw relics ...and hens teeth while I'm at it.

You gotta check out Jamflicker's finds! They are inspiring to folks on the east coast even.. He is in So Cal...

Good luck!!

<*)))>{

I fail to see how setting a silver goal and achieving it is bettering yourself. Does achieving the goal mean you are a good hunter? Maybe that you are good at finding new places to hunt? Maybe that your new detector is working beyond your dreams? Maybe all of the above. Maybe you took more time to hunt this year pushing off those chores? If counting your finds makes you happy then please continue to do it. But please know that some of us are not impressed.

I hunt with a few good hunters. They impress me and I try to learn from them. Sometimes all they do is pull one coin out of the iron I just hunted. Now that was impressive.

Its about getting better all the time..

Perseverance, tenacity, persistence, and determination are words that seem to be missing from the vocabulary of many members of our younger generations. Those words built this country!

I am not trying to be a "good hunter" or "impress anyone", I am simply trying to do better than last time. To get better you must have a bench mark...

My signature is my evolving bench mark, that being the case, I also saved my signature from last season too so I could try to get better...

ATPro 2013- 53 Silver coins, 1 Large Cent, 4 Indians, 212 Wheats, 39 Tokens, 26 Gold, 22 Sterling, 1 Palladium, 86 Total Rings, $251.52 Clad, Oldest coin 1827 Large Cent

Still working on parts of it...

Good luck to all!!

<*)))>{

This is not the case for me. I know that anything and everything I find is simply due to sheer luck. I can't make someone lose a coin or piece of jewelry so why should I judge a success or failure on something that I can't control? I know that research plays a huge role but around here private residences aren't really huntable even if I had the nerve to ask an owner so really all I've been able to do at home is bike around to different local parks and elementary schools and just detect the grass and playgrounds. If I had to spend $400+ on a detector that can go deeper than my 250 and $5+ on gas every time I wanted to go out to a place that has the possibility of silver left behind by someone with a less fancy detector it would not be fun for me.

I live in Northern California.

I am always in a race/competition with my past self.. I set goals as an effort to better myself. If you don't get out there and find it, trust me, somebody will.. My signature is my way of reminding myself of my goals and helps me keep track of my count... Yes, I keep score...

I am generation X, in grade school we actually kept score, there were winners and losers.. Second place means you were the first person to lose...

While the rest of the world is raising winners that will compete in a world economy, we are raising kids who think you just have to be there to be a winner... Not true, being called a winner is something that you have to earn!! You ARE NOT entitled to be anything, you have to pick what you want to be and earn it...

"If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice!" -Rush

<*)))>{

THATTA BOY! My kind of people right here.

I come from a family where "if your not first, your last"

Granted, this sport/hobby/thing-we-do has far less noticeable competition than say a rival sports team coming to your house looking for a "W", we still have to fight for what we are going after. If we don't get it, someone else will and that's losing. If I get a % of it I'm winning, but I ALWAYS want a bigger percent. Complacency is all bad.

Granted, this sport/hobby/thing-we-do has far less noticeable competition than say a rival sports team coming to your house looking for a "W", we still have to fight for what we are going after. If we don't get it, someone else will and that's losing. If I get a % of it I'm winning, but I ALWAYS want a bigger percent. Complacency is all bad.

The competition thing is in your mind. You are in a race to find the most with who? People that detect that live near you? You are racing to your own demise of the hobby. There are only so many cellar holes. There are only so many old picnic grounds. It is almost like the old buffalo hunters racing to kill the last one. It is pretty sad in my book. We are the last generation in a great hobby because of a sad competitive philosophy. When your detector is propped in the corner collecting dust you need to remember why. Either that or drive for hours to some other persons hunting area. I have no idea how long you have been hunting. But I had a detector when I was 12. I'm 52 now. If you didn't come home with ten silver after a hunt you had a bad day. Well needless to say those days are long gone. And so will these days. I suggest you admire each find for what it is. A piece of history gone. Not some trophy for winning a race that in my mind is a travesty.

Congrats! Big silver has come few and far in between for me. Last one was at least a 40% silver but all are welcome.

The competition thing is in your mind. You are in a race to find the most with who? People that detect that live near you? You are racing to your own demise of the hobby. There are only so many cellar holes. There are only so many old picnic grounds. It is almost like the old buffalo hunters racing to kill the last one. It is pretty sad in my book. We are the last generation in a great hobby because of a sad competitive philosophy. When your detector is propped in the corner collecting dust you need to remember why. Either that or drive for hours to some other persons hunting area. I have no idea how long you have been hunting. But I had a detector when I was 12. I'm 52 now. If you didn't come home with ten silver after a hunt you had a bad day. Well needless to say those days are long gone. And so will these days. I suggest you admire each find for what it is. A piece of history gone. Not some trophy for winning a race that in my mind is a travesty.

This bass akwards granola style thinking is why the kids today are mentally weak. I've on and off dug with my pops since I was 8 and I've been serious about it for the last few years. I'm 28 now.

Everything we do as a society is ending SOMETHING. First Yellowstone didn't have enough wolves and now there are too many and are a nuisance to US. Pretty soon hunters (like me) will be racing for that last tag. I DONT GIVE A DANG. FULL CIRCLE.

You break for deer where I push the gas just a wee bit more. The diesel likes to collect deer hair while it runs down the road pulling our boat exhausting HUGE black clouds of !!!! for the lame to inhale as they wait at the bus station for that new hybrid bus.

Life is too short to worry about all that stuff dude. I live in excess, hunt(dirt) in excess, eat in excess even though we have starving kids in Africa.

Sure I may have a SMALL FINITE roll in global warming, but guess what? I don't give a shhhhhh. I'll be dead before the earth wants to stop being earth.

Ok ok ok. Back on topic.

You break for deer where I push the gas just a wee bit more. The diesel likes to collect deer hair while it runs down the road pulling our boat exhausting HUGE black clouds of !!!! for the lame to inhale as they wait at the bus station for that new hybrid bus.

Life is too short to worry about all that stuff dude. I live in excess, hunt(dirt) in excess, eat in excess even though we have starving kids in Africa.

Sure I may have a SMALL FINITE roll in global warming, but guess what? I don't give a shhhhhh. I'll be dead before the earth wants to stop being earth.

Ok ok ok. Back on topic.

Says alot about you man...:roll:

Sure doesn't. :laughing:

I also do stand up. Come to Seattle. See a show. I bet you laugh. I just don't have time for all these "bleeding hearts"

Wow A hobbyist with a sense of humor. I won't say rare but very enlightening. If I'm in Seattle count me in. I'll be in the front row with my puppy. :lol:

Thanks for the points of view gents. I DO want to better myself to the point where everything else is luck or circumstance,which I've found makes up a large portion of this hobby. Now today a fellow hunter and I went to a school we had been to many times,but picked a different area. He found a killer US Navy ring and I found a 46 Rosie,among other things. Now I feel better! Why? Because I found what I was SEEKING, not something else. I think we ALL do this for the "hunting" aspect of it,and that's why most of us are willing to SPEND money to find what we're after. I agree that if I was finding what I was after all the time it might be mediocre after awhile,but I would have to test that theory firsthand...

Now Martin...when I think of a "virgin" I envision a young woman in a flowery dress,big poofy hair and a set of CFM heels...not a slightly heavy 46 year old man with a full set of dentures and a hitch in his gait! But...whatever you're in to.:lol:

Back
Top Bottom