~UPDATE~ fall coin hunting season has begun~9 silvers~

gameoftag

Forum Supporter
I'm way too busy with metal detecting in the summer to even bother with coin roll hunting but as winter slowly creeps its way into Wisconsin, I coin roll hunt pretty seriously.... well, coin bag hunt actually.

Got my bag of dimes yesterday and I'm looking forward to tearing into it to see how many silver I get. I usually average about six but have had as many as 12, I think. This bag will be slow going as there are still plenty of fields to hunt but next week is daylight savings time change and it'll be dark by the time I get out of work, so metal detecting will take a back seat during the week.

I'll update this while I go through it and let everyone know how it's going.

Thanks for looking

20131030_113344~01.jpg

UPDATE!!
Rain all week helped encourage me to get through them quicker than expected. Ended up with 9 Silvers. Not bad if you ask me. All Rosies but I'm happy to have em. This brings this years CRH total to 49 and I still have 2 months left.

20131102_164419~01.jpg

Do you edge hunt those or look at the year of each one? How many dimes are in there?

I will look at each date off and on but I mostly edge hunt. When I edge hunt, I make sure I see the individual sandwich of each coin. Any dark, or questionable edge gets looked at. Have found many dirty silver coins that do not stand out on edge.

Note: on half dollars, you have to look at each date. I have seen many 40% silvers that look like a clad one on the edge.

oh, and there are 10,000 dimes in there ($1,000).

I'm a dirt fisherman myself, I try to balance roll hunting and coil swinging...how 'bout detecting by day, roll hunt by nite!

I like to hit the dimes myself, and have been for six years straight.

Good luck on the bag, hope ya score big.

Where did you acquire a massive bag o dimes?

I get them from the bank. Coin machine fills up the bags, they replace the bag, and send me an email. If I come pick them up, i save them the fee to send it to the federal reserve. Win Win.

Pennies = $50
Nickels = $200
Dimes, quarters, and halves = $1,000

Ask your local bank. If they have a machine that you can bring jars of coins in to get cash, they have bags inside that machine.

Finding silver in the bag. when edge hunting, make sure you check every single coin that that you have any doubt on. Not all silver stands out.

Attachments

• 20131031_191137~02.jpg
    20131031_191137~02.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 297
  • 20131031_191501~01.jpg
    20131031_191501~01.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 304
I would think the silver coins would get kicked out by a counting machine.
Wrong weight?
If not? I think I might try this at my bank.
LMK Thanks!
Thats a heck of a bag of dimes!!!

...and what do you do with $1,000 worth of dimes when you are done looking? Feed them back into the machine?

I would think the silver coins would get kicked out by a counting machine.
Wrong weight?
If not? I think I might try this at my bank.
LMK Thanks!
Thats a heck of a bag of dimes!!!

5 silver so far and about half done with the bag so no the machine doesn't kick them out.

I find silver in every bag I get. The best was 190 silver halves in one bag and the machine accepted them all. The thread for that one is located here:
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=96580

...and what do you do with $1,000 worth of dimes when you are done looking? Feed them back into the machine?

I have 3 dump banks that will get the dimes back. I never return coins to the bank I get them from, that would annoy them and be pointless since i buy the bag that they would go into the next time. :)

There are very few coin counters in my area, and many banks. It is very easy for me to buy up $500 and $1,000 bags of customer rolled coin, yes, rolled coin in bags, ready to be sent out to Brinks, Loomis, etc for machine re-rolling.

I just intercept these bags (of course, I buy them) before they are sent out. I've been doing this for many years.

As far as dumping goes, I have a method in which I dump the loose searched coin back to a different bank (bagged), and get my cash immediately, with no paper trail whatsoever.

update!!!

About $300 to go.. Sitting are 7 silver so far. Hoping to nab up one or 2 more before the bag is done.

Attachments

• 20131101_192928~01.jpg
    20131101_192928~01.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 231
Final tally..... 9 Silvers!

Got a total of 9 out of the bag.

20131102_164419~01.jpg

Will probably be a couple weeks before I get my next bag. These 9 put me at 49 CRH silver for the year.

Thanks again for looking

Nice silver dimes! Sounds like a good family excercise around the dinner table! Good luck as you CRH all winter!

Back
Top Bottom