Simplex 2.77 vs. 2.78 - Thoughts?

Dodge92

I updated to 2.78 but after one quick run through the backyard decided to go back to 2.77. Anyone else have anything to share? 2.78 just seemed....chatty and all over the place. Maybe it was me but went back to 2.77 and right off the bat found a 1953-D Wheatie.....

I updated to 2.78 but after one quick run through the backyard decided to go back to 2.77. Anyone else have anything to share? 2.78 just seemed....chatty and all over the place. Maybe it was me but went back to 2.77 and right off the bat found a 1953-D Wheatie.....

I had the same experience and did exactly what you did. I noticed the chatter right away after the update. There were no OS updates in 2.78 so staying at 2.77 is fine by me. Mine was at 2.76 when I got it.

I waited for a bit before updating. The feedback I was reading didn't sound all that appealing. With that said, I updated my Simplex over the weekend and have been out a few times since. I don't get any more EMI than before and the VDI is a bit more stable and less prone to jumping around. In a nutshell, if you haven't done the update, there's really nothing new here. You can leave it in 2.77 a be just as happy...just my take.

Thanks for the input CalReg and Diabolik. I also read some negative feedback and wonder if that tainted my opinion but I am glad we are able to switch software versions easy.

No, I don't think it was you. I have hunted my yard numerous times and after the update I was getting chatter where I knew it had previously been quiet and had never found anything with my bounty hunter either. Very jumpy too. Yes, Nokta's firmware tool is quick and easy. Very friendly to use.

2.78 sucked for me too. Went back to 2.77 quickly. Wishful thinking but hopefully Nokta can do something that will make the Simplex VDI useful. As it is now...on my machine and my area at least...it's absolutely useless.

2.78 sucked for me too. Went back to 2.77 quickly. Wishful thinking but hopefully Nokta can do something that will make the Simplex VDI useful. As it is now...on my machine and my area at least...it's absolutely useless.

What issues are you having? Mine has been pretty reliable hunting yards and park groves. Most of the time I can call the clad before I dig. The one piece of trash that tricks me just about every time are bottle caps. I really haven’t found any terribly deep targets yet. I found my dinosaur token at 6-7 inches deep and the VDI was rock solid still.

2.78 was a chatter box but even with 2.77 I can barely get a stable VDI on anything. It bounces from 4 to 95 on just about any target. Even the signals tend to be iffy when on the same target they are much better on my AT Pro. I haven't used my Simplex in a couple weeks now because I don't trust it. I love swinging it. But I don't trust that it's not missing stuff. I still plan to get one of the new coils so I'm thinking that if the new coil works a lot better...the stock one is probably bad. If the new one sucks too..I'll assume that the detector has an issue. Either way...hopefully something will get fixed under warranty because this thing is definitely not living up to the hype for me.

2.78 was a chatter box but even with 2.77 I can barely get a stable VDI on anything. It bounces from 4 to 95 on just about any target. Even the signals tend to be iffy when on the same target they are much better on my AT Pro. I haven't used my Simplex in a couple weeks now because I don't trust it. I love swinging it. But I don't trust that it's not missing stuff. I still plan to get one of the new coils so I'm thinking that if the new coil works a lot better...the stock one is probably bad. If the new one sucks too..I'll assume that the detector has an issue. Either way...hopefully something will get fixed under warranty because this thing is definitely not living up to the hype for me.

Either:
-Your machine or coil is broken
-Your machine isn't assembled correctly
-You're getting EMI in that area
-Your machine's not configured properly

I took it back out the last 2 days. I did actually get a couple good things...my oldest coin, an 1883 Indian head penny, and the back of a 2 piece general service button which even though just the back...is my first Civil War button. But...the penny rang up mid 90's and was very scratchy and the penny was only about 4" deep. Nothing else in the hole. I almost didn't dig it. Rest of the time that day and yesterday...no solid targets, almost everything is scratchy regardless of depth and most of them seem to want to ring up in the 90's regardless of what they are.

So yeah:
-Broken coil or machine seems likely
-I checked connections so I don't think incorrect assembly is the issue
-Don't think it's EMI. No overhead or underground power. Not near any radio towers. Even left my cellphone in my Jeep this time because I read some people say it can cause issues. Doesn't seem to matter if I leave it or have it in my pocket...acts the same. My AT Pro is not affected at all at these same locations.
-2.77. Mostly Park 1, sometimes field. Ground balanced. Sensitivity is 2 notches from top. Not sure if there's anything else I can or should do to set it up properly.

I took it back out the last 2 days. I did actually get a couple good things...my oldest coin, an 1883 Indian head penny, and the back of a 2 piece general service button which even though just the back...is my first Civil War button. But...the penny rang up mid 90's and was very scratchy and the penny was only about 4" deep. Nothing else in the hole. I almost didn't dig it. Rest of the time that day and yesterday...no solid targets, almost everything is scratchy regardless of depth and most of them seem to want to ring up in the 90's regardless of what they are.

So yeah:
-Broken coil or machine seems likely
-I checked connections so I don't think incorrect assembly is the issue
-Don't think it's EMI. No overhead or underground power. Not near any radio towers. Even left my cellphone in my Jeep this time because I read some people say it can cause issues. Doesn't seem to matter if I leave it or have it in my pocket...acts the same. My AT Pro is not affected at all at these same locations.
-2.77. Mostly Park 1, sometimes field. Ground balanced. Sensitivity is 2 notches from top. Not sure if there's anything else I can or should do to set it up properly.

2 quick thoughts, have you tried switching modes and scanning the same target to see if it does the same thing in other modes? Have you tried running it without ground balancing and running it at the default setting to see if any difference? I have seen several videos and watched people pumping the coil to ground balance it and getting multiple beeps. I really haven’t been able to get mine to do that.

I do know that when I’ve found coins (especially shallow ones) the VDI has been pretty stable. Even on crummy zincolns.

Sometimes I do...I'll flip back and forth between park 1 and 2 and field in an effort to get the best signal and/or VDI. All pretty equal.

Ummm...not unless I forget so I can't really say it's better or worse if I do or don't ground balance. I'll have to try it both ways and pay attention....maybe do the same section both ways and see if one way works better or something. As far as beeps...yeah...mine will beep until the cows come home if I continue to ground balance. I can do it in the exact same spot and it won't settle on a number like my AT Pro does. It will bounce the number all over....I usually just do it for 2 or 3 beeps and call it good.

Maybe if I get out tomorrow or next time I do...even if just in my yard...I'll record what's going on so maybe it will paint a clearer picture and someone can tell me whether I might have a defective machine or coil...or it's just me not understanding how this thing is supposed to work and that it's me and not my Simplex.

I’m a big fan of 2.78 it runs real smooth with little chatter and good ids for me

Well, I decided to give 2.78 another chance and this time was super quiet. Not sure what I might be missing but it was very nice on my ears. Better than 2.77.....

Well, I decided to give 2.78 another chance and this time was super quiet. Not sure what I might be missing but it was very nice on my ears. Better than 2.77.....

Glad it is working for you. I'm still running 2.77 with the 9.5 x 5 coil. The new coil certainly tamed the Simplex down a lot. Unless I take it field hunting I'll probably never take the smaller coil off. It's a joy to hunt clad with in parks now.

Glad it is working for you. I'm still running 2.77 with the 9.5 x 5 coil. The new coil certainly tamed the Simplex down a lot. Unless I take it field hunting I'll probably never take the smaller coil off. It's a joy to hunt clad with in parks now.

Thanks. That coil is on my radar!

I am running 2.77 on my Simplex. All the targets I have dug so far that had 04 to high 90s back and forth jumpy target ID have been fairly deep rusted iron falsing or iron wrapping around. For me, those numbers tell me to keep walking.

It seems like Nokta Makro bumped up the transmit gain on 2.77 quite a bit in general. I personally have no problem with that. For a quieter experience, they offered 2.78 which has a lower overall transmit gain in my opinion. It is great that Nokta Makro offers all of these choices and lets us decide what suites our style of hunting and our comfort level.

Back
Top Bottom