Help

RichJD13

Ok y’all, I don’t own a metal detector.

I’m planning a family vacation to Sebastian Inlet State Park in FL and thought it would be pretty memorable for the kids to discover the 1715 Spanish Fleet while we were down there.

So, I’m not positive my children will enjoy the hobby, or whether I will. I thought it would be fun family time to try it and maybe make a few million bucks too. We have an RV so it seems like RVing and metal detecting might go together pretty well.

My question is, what is the bare minimum (read: least expensive) machine that I could take on the beach to discover Spanish treasure with? I know there’s a lot of fancy machines like pulse detection and multiple frequency detectors that kick butt on salt water laden sands, but I’m not real interested in investing $1,500 to make my millions in gold.

Any ideas? I’ve searched the forum, and found a lot of relevant information, but not the exact question.

My goals are: become a millionaire, enjoy time with the kids on the beach and spend $400 or (preferably) less. I have read that many lesser machines do alright on dry sand, but many return frustrating false hits and will make you dig to Australia. I would prefer to interest my kids, the 7 year old boy most specifically, without frustrating him.

Thanks y’all, from my perusing this seems like a great place to learn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A couple of places to visit in the area are: The McClarty Treasure museum on A1A about a mile south of the Sebastian bridge. Fee is $2 per adult. See a movie and exhibits. On the countertop in the entrance is a 3 ring binder scrapbook of photos and newspaper stories of lots of finds made by beach detectorists, Also visit the Mel Fisher treasure museum in the town of Sebastian on US 1 and Main St.

I use a combination of Pulse machines and modified Excals on the beach. A lot of serious machines are used on these beaches but beach erosion with winds from the NE is most important for success on these beaches.

The new Minelab Equinox for about $600 is probably the ideal machine for you since it's multi frequency. A single frequency machine is cheaper but may get erratic on the wet sand. You cannot detect in the water because of the salvage lease restrictions.

A scoop for digging or pick up a small shovel at Harbor Freight.

There is a book called "Shipwrecks Near Wabasso Beach" that you can buy at the Mel Fisher museum. It will give you information on beach access locations. Have fun!

:fmdfwelcome:

One very affordable detector is the Harbor Freight 9-Function (under $50). While not high-end, it is easy to use, and I recommend it for beginners. (I do not recommend the 6-Function, on which ground-balance must be manually adjusted every few minutes.) Note that this detector is not fully water-proof.

Have fun with the hobby, and more importantly, with your kids!

A couple of places to visit in the area are: The McClarty Treasure museum on A1A about a mile south of the Sebastian bridge. Fee is $2 per adult. See a movie and exhibits. On the countertop in the entrance is a 3 ring binder scrapbook of photos and newspaper stories of lots of finds made by beach detectorists, Also visit the Mel Fisher treasure museum in the town of Sebastian on US 1 and Main St.

I use a combination of Pulse machines and modified Excals on the beach. A lot of serious machines are used on these beaches but beach erosion with winds from the NE is most important for success on these beaches.

The new Minelab Equinox for about $600 is probably the ideal machine for you since it's multi frequency. A single frequency machine is cheaper but may get erratic on the wet sand. You cannot detect in the water because of the salvage lease restrictions.

A scoop for digging or pick up a small shovel at Harbor Freight.

There is a book called "Shipwrecks Near Wabasso Beach" that you can buy at the Mel Fisher museum. It will give you information on beach access locations. Have fun!

Thanks for the info. We're pretty regular guests down in FL, but only been to Sebastian once before.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bigger mistake I made was cheaping out on an intro machine

I totally understand. My unofficial motto is, "buy right, buy once." However, buying right isn’t in the budget priority right now.

Anyone see anything in the classifieds that might be the right detector? I’ve done a lot of research, but they’re all melding together in my mind.

If you haven't already checked, maybe these forum sections might be of help -

Beach and Water Hunting

https://metaldetectingforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14

Advice on Detector Purchase

https://metaldetectingforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24

IF you were detecting ONLY on dry land I'd recommend the Bounty Hunter Tracker IV as a good inexpensive budget level detector, but you need something that's safe in water.

(the below post is about getting a Tracker IV for about $66) (dry land detecting)

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showpost.php?p=2881601&postcount=46

On your trip down you might go thru Winter Springs, Fl and see the museum at Kelly Co.

The kids will like it and they may have a deal on a used machine. Contact Ray Walker there (Customer Rep) he organizes a lot of scout outings and comes to our annual Treasure Hunters picnic in Wabasso. I help him set up his tent each year.

Thanks everyone. I ended up with a Whites Surfmaster P.I. Pro. Bought used from the classifieds on the forum here. Used seemed like a good way to go, allowing to to stay on a budget and get a quality machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom