Pointers

After hunting a nice manicured lawn with a good pointer, you'll never hunt without one. You wont know until you try one. HH!!

Yep you are wrong(for most people)

Recovery speed could easily double or triple. This means more finds in a shorter time, or more swinging and less time looking for a falsing piece of dirt colored nail.

You will have more holes with "ghost signals" lol

If you hunt beaches and playgrounds you can get away without a pinpointer.

If you're hunting parks, especially if you're digging deep plugs, then a pinpointer is a must. A pinpointer will also speed up the recovery of shallow targets. People like Mud will disagree though...if you're only after shallow modern you can also get away with a screwdriver, but your pinpointing technique needs to be super accurate then.

I don't know how I would find targets quickly without a pin pointer.

After locating a target with the detector I do a surface scan with the pin pointer. If the target is shallow then pointer shows exactly where it is and I can do a small shallow plug for a quick recovery.
If a deeper target then a larger deeper plug and use pointer in the hole and on the plug bottom. If pointer still not seeing target then deep hole.

Note: most of my detecting is in the woods (old farm sites) and some targets are pretty deep. Also old iron & brass are dirt colored and hard to see. I also use a magnet to pick up small iron objects once pin pointed (yes, my pin point gives a different tone for iron) this makes finding a tiny iron bit quick.

Parks/lawns use similar method- shallow target can be 'picked' from just below the surface while deeper one need a plug cut.

If you hunt beaches and playgrounds you can get away without a pinpointer.

If you're hunting parks, especially if you're digging deep plugs, then a pinpointer is a must. A pinpointer will also speed up the recovery of shallow targets. People like Mud will disagree though...if you're only after shallow modern you can also get away with a screwdriver, but your pinpointing technique needs to be super accurate then.

I concur...I will defer to the deep silver hunters for their advice if I was ever hunting deep silver...I hunt beaches and totters and stab up shallow dirt finds with a screwdriver...

If you are hunting chip/gravel/sand totters, All you really NEED is your main rig and the side of your foot to begin with...You dont need a pinpointer or even a digging tool for this kind of work, and you dont really NEED a scoop for fresh shallow drops on the sand...although it does speed up the process...

I'm a minimalist in all things...I try to get the job done as fast as possible with the least amount of extraneous gear...as productive,profitable, and easy as possible...so my current style/focus is a bit out of the norm...I'm not after deep silver...so I dont NEED a pinpointer...

I do need my screwdriver though, for any and all dirt work...or else I would hunt nothing but chip totters, eyehunt for cans and other bycatch valuables..which has some merit....

I will add, learning how to use nothing but a screwdriver as an extraction/pinpointing/identification tool has some amazing side benefits. The Human hand is very sensitive, with a little practice, a guy can determine the location and composition of a subterranean signal just on its touch alone....In conjunction with the primary Audio recognition skill, This is an added Human sensory skill you will never develop if you use a pinpointer all the time....

A guy gets to know the 'feel' of a pulltab or a ring or a coin or a bottlecap, foil balls, glass bottle tops with an aluminum twist off ring around the neck, chains even, so a fellow doesnt have to exhume all targets, just the valuable ones...This skill alone certainly increases the take home and time management...

Last edited:
I've hunted since the 70s and nowadays I wonder how I ever coped without a pinpointer.

If you are still doubtful after reading the above posts and wondering if you should spend the money on a pinpointer, here’s my suggestion: buddy up with someone who has and uses one or has a spare. Use it for one 3-hour Hunt, and you’ll be opening that wallet and next month wondering, how did I get along without this tool for so long?
Believe me... you won’t regret it!

Jim

I’ve detected off and on for a few years. I recently got more into it this year. I bought my first pinpointer this year and I’ve enjoyed hunting so much more. I personally went with the Garrett at and it’s already paid itself off after just a couple monthes.

I concur...I will defer to the deep silver hunters for their advice if I was ever hunting deep silver...I hunt beaches and totters and stab up shallow dirt finds with a screwdriver...

If you are hunting chip/gravel/sand totters, All you really NEED is your main rig and the side of your foot to begin with...You dont need a pinpointer or even a digging tool for this kind of work, and you dont really NEED a scoop for fresh shallow drops on the sand...although it does speed up the process...

I'm a minimalist in all things...I try to get the job done as fast as possible with the least amount of extraneous gear...as productive,profitable, and easy as possible...so my current style/focus is a bit out of the norm...I'm not after deep silver...so I dont NEED a pinpointer...

I do need my screwdriver though, for any and all dirt work...or else I would hunt nothing but chip totters, eyehunt for cans and other bycatch valuables..which has some merit....

I will add, learning how to use nothing but a screwdriver as an extraction/pinpointing/identification tool has some amazing side benefits. The Human hand is very sensitive, with a little practice, a guy can determine the location and composition of a subterranean signal just on its touch alone....In conjunction with the primary Audio recognition skill, This is an added Human sensory skill you will never develop if you use a pinpointer all the time....

A guy gets to know the 'feel' of a pulltab or a ring or a coin or a bottlecap, foil balls, glass bottle tops with an aluminum twist off ring around the neck, chains even, so a fellow doesnt have to exhume all targets, just the valuable ones...This skill alone certainly increases the take home and time management...

Thanks for the response! Good info.

If you are still doubtful after reading the above posts and wondering if you should spend the money on a pinpointer, here’s my suggestion: buddy up with someone who has and uses one or has a spare. Use it for one 3-hour Hunt, and you’ll be opening that wallet and next month wondering, how did I get along without this tool for so long?
Believe me... you won’t regret it!

Jim

Thanks Jim!

I hunted without one for a year and once I got one it was like a whole new hobby.

A pin pointer speeds the recovery time. Why spend a couple minutes or more waving hands full of dirt over the coil when you could recover the target in a matter of seconds. Dig 50 targets and spend a couple minutes waving the dirt and by the time you have recovered them you have wasted over an hour that could have been used in finding more targets.

I would Never even consider trying to detect without a Good Pin Pointer. They are well worth the investment.

Back
Top Bottom