Computer Purchase Advice.

Martin_V3i

Elite Member
I've had a Dell 9100 PC for like 10 years, and it's time to get a new CPU tower, and Windows7 is my OS choice. What I'd like to know is what extra to add in,,,extra memory, video card, etc. It has been a long time since I have followed computers even though I was an avid computer enthusiast most of my life.

What things do I need to get on a modern computer(tower CPU). I assume that my 24" Dell monitor will work with it plus my keyboard. I don't want bare minimums, yet I don't need a monster machine such as a gaming system. Windows7 for certain.

Any computer gurus? TIA martin

I'll be watching this thread. My Dell lasted a while. This Gateway is falling apart as I type. Biggest piece of krap I ever bought:no:

I am not a computer guru but I have used them since 1984. I started on Mac then due to my business had to add PC's also. 3 yrs ago I got rid of my last PC. I would get an Apple product. Easier to use and rarely if ever any problems. Downside is they cost a little more. HH, phil

In my 20yrs of experience supporting PCs and etc in very large corporate environments and personal use home PC's , i now support digital media platforms (streaming corporate video and such) and the servers are all Compaq.

Dells were ok..repaired many many
Toshiba fixed way to many DOA units
Gateway ..had one didn't care for it.

Long story short.

Compaq or HP would be my choice for an everyday home PC.

Finding a NEW one today with win7 may be a challenge unless you get a refurbished one or someplace like overstock.com

Just my opinion.

In my 20yrs of experience supporting PCs and etc in very large corporate environments and personal use home PC's , i now support digital media platforms (streaming corporate video and such) and the servers are all Compaq.

Dells were ok..repaired many many
Toshiba fixed way to many DOA units
Gateway ..had one didn't care for it.

Long story short.

Compaq or HP would be my choice for an everyday home PC.

Finding a NEW one today with win7 may be a challenge unless you get a refurbished one or someplace like overstock.com

Just my opinion.

Thanks. Macs appear to cost twice the price of windows based PCs, but a Mac would be cool. All I need is a desktop tower without the monitor priced at, or below $500 with a boost in memory and HDD. Dell would sell me a new one in the $500 range but it almost make better logic to get a refurb or at Overstock for half the price.

I see that Window7 OS software is obtainable for around $100., so would it maybe make sense to buy all the components and built up a tower and install windows7? I would rather buy turn-key though.

How much memory will I want with a Win7, not just to run, but to run well?

I use chromebook... much more secure than a PC and does everything I need it to do. http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/devices/features/

Best of all no need for windBlows...

I use this one, love it!

http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/devices/acer-c720-chromebook/

By the way I have been doing computer repair and web development for 20 years and wish tthey had these back when I started because I would have probably gone through about 5 less computers during that time!

Thousands of apps for just about anything you want to do!

These are different from a PC, and are not completely compatible with all windows/ microsoft softwares. So far the only issue I have ran across is that I can't access google earth on it, but I can access google maps online, so it's not been a bid deal.

I use chromebook... much more secure than a PC and does everything I need it to do. http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/devices/features/

Best of all no need for windBlows...

I use this one, love it!

http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/devices/acer-c720-chromebook/

By the way I have been doing computer repair and web development for 20 years and wish tthey had these back when I started because I would have probably gone through about 5 less computers during that time!

Thousands of apps for just about anything you want to do!

These are different from a PC, and are not completely compatible with all windows/ microsoft softwares. So far the only issue I have ran across is that I can't access google earth on it, but I can access google maps online, so it's not been a bid deal.

There's a good option.

Win7 I would get 4gb for everyday home PC stuff and would stick with turn key.

I have a Compaq Presario CQ5700F I got cheap at a big box store and it's been working well for years. I use my iPhone mostly but the rest of the family uses the PC a lot for games and videos and everything else.

If I had it to do over I would buy the same exact one.

Do you wanna build your own puter or buy one already assembled? And what's the budget?

Turnkey, $500 or less, only the CPU tower, not complete system. Overstock.com has name brands which are appealing for 200-300. Dell, HP, and many others. Higher priced units there don't bust $500.

I wouldn't ask the sister-in-law. A big factor is going to be warranty and where you purchase. A good warranty is useless if it cost a fortune to send back for repairs.

You should be able to find an Intel core i-5 or AMD FX series processor , at least 1TB hard drive , and at the least 4gb of ram , preferably 8gb for around that price. Check out newegg.com or tigerdirect.com .

Love them or hate them ,....my wal mart emachines $300 computer with windows 7 has been serving me well for years with no problems. Its no gaming computer , but it can do everything most computers two or three times the price can do , and the way it operates it should last a good long time.

I just couldn't see being strapped down with a tower/desktop...just so Y2K... my wife uses Chromebook and I have an old HP/wblows7.

You couldn't run fast enough to give me a HP (almost as bad as a Compaq). If not building your own check out ASUS, good product.

Back
Top Bottom