York and Lancaster County PA

Wagon55

Hello, I live in Harford County MD. To my knowledge and from some research, Harford isn't a real MD friendly place as far as public land goes. I was wondering if anyone could tell me of some places to go in Lancaster and York counties in PA. I have a couple permissions down here, but am always looking for new places. Any help would be appreciated.

..... Harford isn't a real MD friendly place as far as public land goes. ....

Welcome from Salinas, CA. What gives you the idea that your locale isn't MD friendly ? Ie.: what have you read, that makes it any different than any other place in the state or USA ?

Welcome from Salinas, CA. What gives you the idea that your locale isn't MD friendly ? Ie.: what have you read, that makes it any different than any other place in the state or USA ?

As far as public parks and recreation fields go, they are off limits per the county. So no schools, ball fields, parks that are ran by the county. It is not allowed in any of the state parks as well, except on shorelines from what I have read. So, pretty much you have private permissions.

...., they are off limits per the county. So no schools, ball fields, parks that are ran by the county. .....

Ok. But where are you getting the info, that leads you to conclude that all county property is a no-go ? Where is that written ? Got a link ?

And as you surmise: This has no bearing on cities within the county. Since city and county properties are 2 different entities.

As for the state of Maryland : I assume you're reading one of those nifty compendium resources where past persons attempted to create a one-stop shopping. For the state parks in each state. Right ? And as you can see (going down the list and clicking on various states), they're filled with "don't disturb the wildlife" and "with permission from each kiosk" and "yes but you can't take anything" type language. Right ? :roll:

Ok. But where are you getting the info, that leads you to conclude that all county property is a no-go ? Where is that written ? Got a link ?

And as you surmise: This has no bearing on cities within the county. Since city and county properties are 2 different entities.

As for the state of Maryland : I assume you're reading one of those nifty compendium resources where past persons attempted to create a one-stop shopping. For the state parks in each state. Right ? And as you can see (going down the list and clicking on various states), they're filled with "don't disturb the wildlife" and "with permission from each kiosk" and "yes but you can't take anything" type language. Right ? :roll:

The information I got for the county came straight from the director of Parks and Rec for the county via Email. Same thing goes for the city of Havre de Grace, where I live. We have fields in the city that are still controlled by the county parks and rec. However per the email from the city, no metal detecting is permitted in any city owned parks. As far as the state goes, I got my information straight from the states state park website.

The information I got for the county came straight from the director of Parks and Rec for the county via Email. Same thing goes for the city of Havre de Grace, where I live. We have fields in the city that are still controlled by the county parks and rec. However per the email from the city, no metal detecting is permitted in any city owned parks. As far as the state goes, I got my information straight from the states state park website.

Thanx for that answer. As far as the state parks, I understand that there is *dire* language in some of the 50 state's state-park rules.

But back to the county & city: When they replied "no", did they cite any specific law or rule that said such a thing ?

Because it's possible when someone comes in or sends an email saying "Hi can I metal detect ?", that the person fielding the "Pressing question" can conjure mental images of geeks with shovels tearing up the park. Or pass the question on to a purist archie's desk for review, etc.. And then ... despite there not being an actual rule, someone simply gives the safe answer of "no".

This has been known to happen. Someone fetches a "no" where, quite frankly , md'ing had never been an issue before (assuming you weren't being a nuisance of some sort). So this is why I ask you: Did the county & city cite any chapter and verse law or code that actually said "no md'ing" ?

This is why it's better to look up laws for oneself, if someone is skittish that there "might be a rule".

Thanx for that answer. As far as the state parks, I understand that there is *dire* language in some of the 50 state's state-park rules.

But back to the county & city: When they replied "no", did they cite any specific law or rule that said such a thing ?

Because it's possible when someone comes in or sends an email saying "Hi can I metal detect ?", that the person fielding the "Pressing question" can conjure mental images of geeks with shovels tearing up the park. Or pass the question on to a purist archie's desk for review, etc.. And then ... despite there not being an actual rule, someone simply gives the safe answer of "no".

This has been known to happen. Someone fetches a "no" where, quite frankly , md'ing had never been an issue before (assuming you weren't being a nuisance of some sort). So this is why I ask you: Did the county & city cite any chapter and verse law or code that actually said "no md'ing" ?

This is why it's better to look up laws for oneself, if someone is skittish that there "might be a rule".

Makes sense. No, no one sited any law or rule. I was just told it was not permitted. I have looked at the codes and the only thing I could fine is this one§ 185-4
Destruction of park properties.
No person shall deface, alter, injure or disturb any monuments, boundary lines, physical structures, lands, installations, notices, signs or historical or prehistorical ruins.

I'm sure it could fall under this if they wanted to.

IMHO, if they can't add it to the rules or see it in print Either by signage or on their county or city website. "No Detecting" or "No Digging" then I believe all you heard is an opinion of interpretation of the law.

Don't ask, if you don't see those phrases spelled out I would hunt it. Worse case senerio is someone may ask you to leave. Remember you can play dumb once. If you believe cutting a plug to extract a coin is destroying the park, I suggest you think again.

Secondly IF, there are no public places you feel comfortable hunting, sorry but you will probably have to get your own private permissions vs asking others to give you theirs.

But again, do your research, I'd be shocked if you can't hunt public locally. Your county rules would be for county owned property only. You still have village, city, state and township, property to hunt.

Back
Top Bottom