Hyper-saturated sogged in sod behavior

Seaking406

Elite Member
I finally got a chance to get out of the house to do some stick swinging with my warranty replacement large coil for the ACE250, so I decided to hit a base ball field that has three diamonds facing inwards.. Someone suggested that most of the action should be in the outfield and a lot less trash.. I managed to find a little trinket (looks cheap) and coin spill (my first) of 12 pennies and a dime..

We've been having a lot of rain around here this spring and wow, talk about a hyper-saturated field.. good thing I wore my boots even though it hadn't rained for a few days. The detector would beep on a target, pin point it relatively close to the surface, 2 to 4 inches but the Carrot would not beep when pressed against the sod over the target, or plunged deep into the wet sod.. huh..

When I say hyper saturated, I really mean it.. amazing..

After a few tests to figure out what was going on, I discovered that though the large coil could detect a target, not always quite where it said it should be by pinpointing by sound or beeps, the ground was SO over-saturated with water that it mungled the signal.. Once I found a target (trinket) I placed it 2 inches under the sod facing upwards and sure enough, the Carrot wouldn't sniff it 2 inches away and the coil pinpointed it about 4 inches off target..

I then found a relatively dry chunk of land and re-did the same test and that came out the way it was supposed to.. Carrot would chirp at target 2 inches below the sod and the coil pin pointed it properly as it should..

Is that normal behavior for a MD towards soaking wet sod soil etc? It's a new one for me.. I had to give it up early due to the mess I got myself into and still had to drive home.. wasn't willing to strip down to keep the car clean ;)

Rather interesting day out I should say!

Cheers

That to me is strange because the Carrot is sold for use under water and I would not think the saturated ground would be a problem.

Ray

That to me is strange because the Carrot is sold for use under water and I would not think the saturated ground would be a problem.
Ray

Same thoughts here, I'm wondering if the varying materials under the sod might have been highly mineralized causing the issues.. the grounds looked to have been covered in small chip rock as a base before the sod was laid down, hence why the water wasn't soaking in so easily, but still.. it should have picked those coins up easily in that muck... And had fresh batteries in the Carrot as well.

I started with a 250, and now have an ATPro, they both act a little goofy in really wet soil.

Since I got the go-ahead from the boss I'm ready to upgrade to a multi-freq detector.. doing some reading and vid watching to see what will suit my needs for park, field and ocean / lake environment.. and a machine that is available here in Canada.. the Equinox 600 is available, not the 800.. Not quite sure of the difference tween those two apart from that the 800 has a gold setting /freq and comes with the wireless headphones?

Patiently doing more reading..

the ground is still so wet around here that even high spots are soaked..

I suggest resetting the carrot so that you know it is on the highest sensitivity setting. Then approach the stem of your detector to test how close you need to be before it sounds off. I have to do that quite frequently. I must be pressing the button inadvertently changing the setting and am not aware of it.

I suggest resetting the carrot so that you know it is on the highest sensitivity setting. Then approach the stem of your detector to test how close you need to be before it sounds off. I have to do that quite frequently. I must be pressing the button inadvertently changing the setting and am not aware of it.

Same here, I know that when it turns ON, it will beep to tell you what the setting is.. the trouble is trying to remember what the number of beeps are corresponding to the settings.. I have the docs here, but can't seem to remember them when out in the field knee deep in muck.. I kind of remember it being a single beep when I turn it on.. low sensitivity if I remember correctly.. ?

Same here, I know that when it turns ON, it will beep to tell you what the setting is.. the trouble is trying to remember what the number of beeps are corresponding to the settings.. I have the docs here, but can't seem to remember them when out in the field knee deep in muck.. I kind of remember it being a single beep when I turn it on.. low sensitivity if I remember correctly.. ?

Nope!! Time to revisit the manual. 👍🏼

Just did and it states that the one beep is 1 beep = minimum Sensitivity, with audio, did I miss something?

Press the button, you get one beep to indicate it’s on. Press and hold till you get two beeps to put it in programming mode. Press again and it will beep the number of times your mode is set for. Press to cycle thru modes. Once selected, press and hold till it beeps twice and let go. Press again to shut off. When you turn it back on it will only beep once, but will be in the mode you previously selected.
Hope this makes sense.

Press the button, you get one beep to indicate it’s on. Press and hold till you get two beeps to put it in programming mode. Press again and it will beep the number of times your mode is set for. Press to cycle thru modes. Once selected, press and hold till it beeps twice and let go. Press again to shut off. When you turn it back on it will only beep once, but will be in the mode you previously selected.
Hope this makes sense.

Yes, that does make perfect sense, just like the manual explains it. But oddly enough, I thought I had heard mine beep twice when I turned it on before I got messing about with the settings recently.. I thought it was telling you what mode you were in every time you turned it on.. I dunno, might have imagined it..

however, I do prefer the medium sensitivity over the low sensitivity, might explain why I couldn't penetrate the soaking wet sod that day? I'll have to play with it some more next time I'm out..

thanks for the info ;)

What I thought is weird about this device is that you can turn sound off but not the vibrate.. I'm thinking it takes more power to make it vibrate than beep? The darn thing is loud enough that I think I could do without the vibrate..

Wet sod(and wet sand) conducts well, and generally improves the signal strength from the metal targets. Pinpointing in the wet stuff is only problematic if other metal/minerals are near the target.
I use the carrot's vibrate only; usually in 2nd gear. I think the beep is only good for educational/demonstration purposes.

I'm getting to where I touch the pinpointer tip to the ground before turning it on. It seems to be a little more accurate if I do that.

Back
Top Bottom