silver,good buy?

Usa

Elite Member
Hey, I just bought some silver . 3 mercs,12 rosies,7 washingtons and 2 good condition franklin halves, was this a good buy for $60?

About average price I would say. Depends if you bought it for an investment, for emergencies, or just because you like it. The value is subjective.

I like to turn my clad coins I find into silver . Many use it to buy new toys for detecting. Everyone has there own way of doing things .
In my head it turns even the not to crusty zink penny into treasure.

My advise , buy metals here and there without putting a strain on your budget or neglecting other responsibilities. Buy as close to spot price as you can or what you enjoy. Grabbing a little here and there adds up over time and you can always buy within the small dips in price . If you keep your purchases modest and enjoyable those price fluctuations or wondering if it was a good or bad time will not bother you.
Grab a little when you have the itch .

Silver is a storage of wealth .🙂
Growth potential based on timing yes but never count on it to happen .
In a pinch or hard times you can always fall back on it as if it were money in the bank .

Oh and you can always hunt it up 👍
Here is this years take so far . Love your signature by the way 🇺🇸
HH , Dew

Attachments

• IMG_1750.jpg
    IMG_1750.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:
You paid about 15% over current melt value, which isn’t bad.
Keep in mind that silver is an industrial metal, and it’s use there will decline as technology advances.

Silver is a lousy investment but I love it. Old 90% silver coins aren’t being made anymore and their numbers dwindle each year.

The big banks manipulate the silver price to their advantage, and the big price gains over the last 40 years have in most cases, been artificial. So, that being said, stack silver if you enjoy collecting it, historically it has always had some value.

No. If you bought in 2011 you'd know that.

Gold had stability over the last decade. Silver was everywhere. From like 8 dollars in 2008 to 45 in 2011.

Yes...I think you did OK there..like AmC Rules stated, a little over melt is not bad for old silver coins...Dewsweeper gave you the proper mental perspective regarding the topic...If you like it, it doesnt hurt anybody, then do it...

I think like this..:$60 is a tank of gas in an average sized SUV with a 20 gal tank...

Lots of us convert our clad/bycatch finds into old silver/gold...so yeah, you did just fine there and are set on an interesting and good path for your 'extra' money..PM's shouldnt be considered an investment get rich quick scheme,, just an alternate conversion method that is interesting and possibly redeemable at a higher value if you ever need to...

That said, if I had bought Bitcoins with my clad several years ago, that $800 of rotten zincs and totlot finds would be now 'worth' 33 million! So my investment advice is subpar!

Although, It helps a guy keep a tight fist on their money if they think of everything in 'Silver' terms...example: Is a Whopper Meal worth a Walker Half?...Is my daily cup of coffee at the Quicky Mart worth a Merc?? Pack of smokes worth a BF Half? Two 25oz Beers worth a Silver Washington Q? This kind of thinking drives me nuts!

Sheesh, a guy could buy over 300 mercs per year if he simply forgoes that daily cup of coffee, and still be able to smoke and drink beer! If I quit the beer and smokes and Burger King, I'd be flush with 600 Silver Halfs/year! Lets not get crazy now!:laughing:

Attachments

• gold coin.jpg
    gold coin.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 175
I like to turn my clad coins I find into silver . Many use it to buy new toys for detecting. Everyone has there own way of doing things .
In my head it turns even the not to crusty zink penny into treasure.

My advise , buy metals here and there without putting a strain on your budget or neglecting other responsibilities. Buy as close to spot price as you can or what you enjoy. Grabbing a little here and there adds up over time and you can always buy within the small dips in price . If you keep your purchases modest and enjoyable those price fluctuations or wondering if it was a good or bad time will not bother you.
Grab a little when you have the itch .

Silver is a storage of wealth .��
Growth potential based on timing yes but never count on it to happen .
In a pinch or hard times you can always fall back on it as if it were money in the bank .

Oh and you can always hunt it up ��
Here is this years take so far . Love your signature by the way ����
HH , Dew

Thanks for the good input.Ya, I have a longgggggggg signature,but I think theres allot of truth there.

Probably shouldn't consider it an investment, silver and gold is more of a savings account that may keep up with inflation than an investment. Or maybe it won't. If I would have bought silver when I was your age over 35 years ago I would have lost half my money, If I bought gold I would have doubled my money, if I would have bought stock in Harley Davidson I would have 20 times my investment. Stock in Toys R Us and I'd be broke. It's a gamble.
At your age you have time on your side, if you can get silver for close to melt value or less, you might as well go for it. Buy low and sell high. The hard part is knowing when it's highest and lowest.

Going by what Scuba said, the coins you bought are worth $52 in scrap. You paid $60 which I think is alright, you may have paid $8 more than melt, but you can easily sell those coins on for $60 if you really wanted to.

I know a guy who sells me silver coins for exactly melt value (well, 0.01c over melt value), so I don't think he makes any profit. Not sure how he does it, and where he gets his silver coins so cheaply, but it works out for me. Some of the coins are in amazing condition, and worth a lot more than their melt value, but he said it's not worth his time to sort the coins, and sell the ones which are worth more.

This very week I met an old guy whos Wife retired from working at a bank for 40yrs...she kept her eye out and culled OTC silvers...she's long ago dead and he isnt far behind..he has one hell of a stack of circulated old silver he keeps in a Velveeta cheese box!!....

I'm looking at buying 260 seated Q's and 190 Barber halfs that she culled over the years behind the counter, and replaced them with clad face...

It will cost me some paper rectangles of various denominations, I consider it not a 'spend', but a store of my limited wealth...plus, they are very cool to fondle!

This very week I met an old guy whos Wife retired from working at a bank for 40yrs...she kept her eye out and culled OTC silvers...she's long ago dead and he isnt far behind..he has one hell of a stack of circulated old silver he keeps in a Velveeta cheese box!!....

I'm looking at buying 260 seated Q's and 190 Barber halfs that she culled over the years behind the counter, and replaced them with clad face...

It will cost me some paper rectangles of various denominations, I consider it not a 'spend', but a store of my limited wealth...plus, they are very cool to fondle!

Go get them Mud . Even a lot of merc dime and barbers are doing pretty well on EBay right now . I'm not interested in listing a dime for 5 bucks but when your talking 30 to fifty on some common dates in decent shap it's time to go threw the pile this winter . I do not really sell my finds but if I can turn 15 or 20 coins into a roll of 20 1 Troy oz. rounds I think it's a no brainer .
Go get that Cheese box .
,Dew

Good deal! They aren’t making old 90% silver coins anymore. SLQ’s and especially Barber halves always bring serious premiums when it’s time to sell - :cool:

Back
Top Bottom