Do you ever search in pinpoint mode?

Cybert99

I recently purchased an Ace 350. In the mineralized soil here in the Seattle area I'm finding that I get very inconsistent sounds/readings unless I am sweeping the middle of the coil directly over the object.

So, I'm starting to search by holding in the pinpoint button. This allows me to "find" metal objects and once I know roughly where they are I can make short sweeps in exactly the right area.

Anyone else do this? This is probably hurting my battery life but it seems fairly effective. I also noticed that I can locate deeper objects that don't register at all with normal sweeps. (I dug two of these on Saturday and it took me 10 minutes to dig down 10 or so inches... for tiny pieces of iron.)

I recently purchased an Ace 350. In the mineralized soil here in the Seattle area I'm finding that I get very inconsistent sounds/readings unless I am sweeping the middle of the coil directly over the object.

So, I'm starting to search by holding in the pinpoint button. This allows me to "find" metal objects and once I know roughly where they are I can make short sweeps in exactly the right area.

Anyone else do this? This is probably hurting my battery life but it seems fairly effective. I also noticed that I can locate deeper objects that don't register at all with normal sweeps. (I dug two of these on Saturday and it took me 10 minutes to dig down 10 or so inches... for tiny pieces of iron.)

Actually, this is the whole idea behind using detectors with a threshold tone.
Without any discrimination, which is how you are searching with that pinpoint tone, most detectors get the deepest into the earth, and the object is to listen for changes in that tone.
That means a disruption in the field, and that means metal.

Yea, you use a ton of battery power doing it this way with your 350, but if it helps you find something good...worth it.

If you like this style of hunting, several detectors are designed to work this way with a threshold tone like my Vaquero, and many others.

Using the pinpoint button doesnt use more battery because its a simpler circut( no processer or id'ing) the problem is it is a no motion circut but it has no ability to adjust for ground minerals, it will be good for a short time but may drift due to changing soil as you move around. if you keep that in mind and reset it often ( and overlooking the sore thumb) it will probably work good.

Using the pinpoint button doesnt use more battery because its a simpler circut( no processer or id'ing) the problem is it is a no motion circut but it has no ability to adjust for ground minerals, it will be good for a short time but may drift due to changing soil as you move around. if you keep that in mind and reset it often ( and overlooking the sore thumb) it will probably work good.

Maybe.
If he is not using headphones, it takes a huge amount of power to run that speaker.

I tried this on my AT Pro, but if you hold the PP button for longer than 30 seconds it becomes unreliable in my experience. Also, if you press it while over a good target, that target becomes "invisible".

Back
Top Bottom