Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Big boys Hobbies
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > General Hobby Discussion

Notices

Reply
  
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-11-2017, 08:06 PM
mohawk918 mohawk918 is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 15
Default Gear for me

Ok so I have my metal detector. Got a bucket to put stuff I find in but what else should I get? I know I need a shovel but I'm looking for one to use but should I get anything else that will help me out?

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote


  #2  
Old 11-11-2017, 08:11 PM
WiscoMD WiscoMD is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 73
Default

PINPOINTER. Most time saving instrument you will buy. Get the Garrett Carrot.

__________________
Still looking for something good...

Reply With Quote


  #3  
Old 11-11-2017, 08:13 PM
DiggerMD's Avatar
DiggerMD DiggerMD is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: South Ga..
Posts: 518
Default

Instead of a bucket get a pouch or bag that you can wear around your waist or over your shoulder. The less you have to gather after you find what you found the better. A small digging spade for smaller and shallower targets, where digging a big hole isn't necessary. I wear gloves, you don't want to reach in a hole with glass and get blood on your first silver coin. A small toothbrush type brush for cleaning stuff. A small spray bottle of water for the same thing. Some people use knee pads others a pad to kneel on and others nothing at all. God yes like guy above me said get a pin pointer. But it would help to know what areas you'll be digging. Beach, land, rocks, or soil.

__________________
9/14/17 start. BH Challenger, GP pin pointer, Lesche Sampson T handle, Leche style digger, and newly discovered flat tip screw driver, oldest 1917 (3)Mercury dime, 1887 (3) IHP, Clad $202.80/40.00


Last edited by DiggerMD; 11-11-2017 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Adding
Reply With Quote


  #4  
Old 11-11-2017, 11:32 PM
georgeinsc's Avatar
georgeinsc georgeinsc is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Ladson SC
Posts: 1,621
Default

Please do not use a shovel in any parks Playgrounds etc. Private property with permission is okay.

I use a lesche Digging tool any time I am detecting public property.

A Pin Pointer makes it far easier to locate your target. Highly recommend that you get one. I personally would not detect without one.
Reply With Quote


  #5  
Old 11-12-2017, 12:00 AM
BaldAssCat's Avatar
BaldAssCat BaldAssCat is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: MA
Posts: 645
Default

If you're on a budget, this was where I started.

Still using this for a finds pouch. My Lesche and carrot pointer fit nicely in the loops.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/AWP-HP-124-...Pouch/50193573

Not my main digger anymore but served me well for a long time.
https://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-Grip-...s+garden+knife

And the trusty (as long as you keep the mud out of the switch) Harbor Freight pinpointer.
https://www.harborfreight.com/metal-detector-97245.html

Hope this helps.

__________________
ATPro, BH Challenger, Pro Pointer

Reply With Quote


  #6  
Old 11-12-2017, 12:19 AM
It's A Trap!'s Avatar
It's A Trap! It's A Trap! is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Western Pennsylvania, Gibsonia
Posts: 329
Default

Originally Posted by DiggerMD View post
Instead of a bucket get a pouch or bag that you can wear around your waist or over your shoulder. The less you have to gather after you find what you found the better.
like this?

__________________
Don't be a grasshole, fill in your plugs!

Reply With Quote


  #7  
Old 11-12-2017, 02:48 AM
sandgroper's Avatar
sandgroper sandgroper is online now
Elite Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 3,608
Default

Spare batteries. Definitely a finds pouch and a pin-pointer. A pin-pointer will save you loads of time and you'll have to dig less (smaller holes). Also consider a screwdriver/tent peg (if you're looking for clad in parks) and perhaps knee pads. I also carry a backpack with other stuff like spare batteries, water, food for longer hunts, a small first aid kit etc.

Also, you might want to wear cargo pants. I find they're quite good because they have loads of pockets. (I have one which has 9 pockets, so I keep all my stuff organised )

__________________

Detectors: CTX 3030, X-Terra70, Pro-Find 25 Oldest Coin: 1866 English Penny
2018 totals: $2000.85AUD (717x$2, 378x$1, 119x50c, 287x20c, 352x10c, 484x5c, 359x2c, 537x1c) and 238 foreign, collectable or older Australian/English (pre-decimal) coins.
"Swing till your ears ring!"
Reply With Quote


  #8  
Old 11-12-2017, 03:31 AM
Pulltabby's Avatar
Pulltabby Pulltabby is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,284
Default

If your hunting a pristine lawn, possibly a drop cloth for the dirt. A copper probe for cladstabbing. All the above good advice. Hunting a forest toilet paper

If it rains is it waterproof ? a cover like a shower cap is handy. A spare plastic coil nut/bolt is good to have, if in a pinch just use a twig branch.
Hunting a beach you will need a stainless steel sand scoop with handle, or plastic unit in a pinch.

Last edited by Pulltabby; 11-12-2017 at 03:52 AM.
Reply With Quote


  #9  
Old 11-12-2017, 07:13 AM
mohawk918 mohawk918 is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 15
Default

Now what is the point of the screwdriver?

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote


  #10  
Old 11-12-2017, 07:22 AM
T-Man's Avatar
T-Man T-Man is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Hamilton OH
Posts: 2,383
Default

Originally Posted by mohawk918 View post
Now what is the point of the screwdriver?

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
Screwdriver is great for shallow targets. I took a couple of the earth magnets out of an old computer harddrive and have them stuck to the top of my digger. If I'm out clad stabbing the totlots or sportfields I just stick the screwdriver to the magnets so it's within quick reach. Once you get good a pointing with just your detector with the screwdriver you just swoop in, pop the coin and move on to the next without having to dig a plug. As a side note, screwdriver is not the preferred choice if your in an area where there may be silver since it can scratch the coin. For clad it can't be beat. Magnets also come in handy when digging jewelry for a quick pretest to see if it's junk of something better hopefully.
Reply With Quote


  #11  
Old 11-12-2017, 07:49 AM
IDXMonster IDXMonster is online now
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: New Glarus
Posts: 3,117
Default

Originally Posted by X-Terra70 View post
Spare batteries. Definitely a finds pouch and a pin-pointer. A pin-pointer will save you loads of time and you'll have to dig less (smaller holes). Also consider a screwdriver/tent peg (if you're looking for clad in parks) and perhaps knee pads. I also carry a backpack with other stuff like spare batteries, water, food for longer hunts, a small first aid kit etc.

Also, you might want to wear cargo pants. I find they're quite good because they have loads of pockets. (I have one which has 9 pockets, so I keep all my stuff organised )
I also wear cargo pants,they ARE my pouch(s). And they DO keep stuff organized! Well done Terra...
Reply With Quote


  #12  
Old 11-12-2017, 08:10 AM
sandgroper's Avatar
sandgroper sandgroper is online now
Elite Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 3,608
Default

Originally Posted by mohawk918 View post
Now what is the point of the screwdriver?

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
Originally Posted by T-Man View post
Screwdriver is great for shallow targets. I took a couple of the earth magnets out of an old computer harddrive and have them stuck to the top of my digger. If I'm out clad stabbing the totlots or sportfields I just stick the screwdriver to the magnets so it's within quick reach. Once you get good a pointing with just your detector with the screwdriver you just swoop in, pop the coin and move on to the next without having to dig a plug. As a side note, screwdriver is not the preferred choice if your in an area where there may be silver since it can scratch the coin. For clad it can't be beat. Magnets also come in handy when digging jewelry for a quick pretest to see if it's junk of something better hopefully.
Yes, what T-Man said. Screwdrivers are good for 'prying' shallow modern coins out of the ground. They save you from digging up the grass, so therefore you're less likely to cause an unsightly mess. Just don't use them for retrieving potential silver/old coins which you don't want to scratch.

__________________

Detectors: CTX 3030, X-Terra70, Pro-Find 25 Oldest Coin: 1866 English Penny
2018 totals: $2000.85AUD (717x$2, 378x$1, 119x50c, 287x20c, 352x10c, 484x5c, 359x2c, 537x1c) and 238 foreign, collectable or older Australian/English (pre-decimal) coins.
"Swing till your ears ring!"
Reply With Quote


  #13  
Old 11-12-2017, 08:13 AM
sandgroper's Avatar
sandgroper sandgroper is online now
Elite Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 3,608
Default

Originally Posted by IDXMonster View post
I also wear cargo pants,they ARE my pouch(s). And they DO keep stuff organized! Well done Terra...
I really like my cargo pants. I've got about 5 pairs, and I always get excited when I see them on special at H&M for $15 each, because regular price is something like $45. Plus, there're pretty strong so they don't get torn so easily from kneeling on the ground.

__________________

Detectors: CTX 3030, X-Terra70, Pro-Find 25 Oldest Coin: 1866 English Penny
2018 totals: $2000.85AUD (717x$2, 378x$1, 119x50c, 287x20c, 352x10c, 484x5c, 359x2c, 537x1c) and 238 foreign, collectable or older Australian/English (pre-decimal) coins.
"Swing till your ears ring!"
Reply With Quote


  #14  
Old 11-12-2017, 09:32 AM
IDXMonster IDXMonster is online now
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: New Glarus
Posts: 3,117
Default

Originally Posted by X-Terra70 View post
I really like my cargo pants. I've got about 5 pairs, and I always get excited when I see them on special at H&M for $15 each, because regular price is something like $45. Plus, there're pretty strong so they don't get torn so easily from kneeling on the ground.
Yep,since my trash is about nil these days,hereís the lowdown.
Right rear pocket-WM10
Left rear pocket-wallet
Right front pocket-good finds
Left front pocket-clad and pinpointer
Right lower leg-cigarettes
Left lower leg-lighter
Itís sad we have this down to a science....
Reply With Quote


Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.