Pro-Pointer Tip Protection **UPDATE**

There is a coil in the tip of the propinter.

The coil is not indestructible. While I dont dig with my pinpointers, my propointer went out about week after I got it. Any pressure on the tip or side sets if off in mad beeping. Took me a while to figure out what was wrong with it. Im glad your able to get rough with some of the Propointers on here. But hunting without a propointer is not a option for me. Minimize your down time by being a little easier.

Since teflon is actually made from crushed rock. Teflon may be a option. Not sure how you would apply it. Good luck.

Can't imagine how the tip would get worn out so easily. It's not a digging tool. It's not a tent stake. Why would you shove a $130 tool into hard rocky ground? Don't think there are too many rocks, that aren't harder than plastic, or won't gouge it. It's a wand, not a probe...

Is pinpointing with your metal detector so complicated, that you can't come within 2 inches of the target? Is that why you need to shove your $130 tool in the ground, before digging a plug?

Guess I'm just luck, and we have loose, sandy soil, no natural stone in florida. Still can't imagine digging with my PP. I'll push the sand around a little, but don't shove it in. For the price, and how critically important the Garrett PP is to most of the happy owners, seems like most abuse their valued tool. Guess that's why you need two or three...

I am with you HarveyH48.

I don’t dig with my coil, why would I dig with my Pro Pointer.

I put bed liner on mine when it was new and a year later it still looks new.

Only thing is that it hasn’t found me any gold yet.

Fantasic

Reckon, speaking for myself, its a case of different strokes for different folks. Lol

This dirt out here, in most the parks I dig, can be much like a hard sand paper. Takes its toll on the ol Propointer over many many holes.

And no, I don't use mine as digger, lol. I just use it, a lot. And I do put some pressure on it... but again, different strokes... my pinpointing with my machines is fairly spot on, but the propointer makes it more fun and by the Geiger counter.... I know pretty quick how deep to make my plug etc and average about ten seconds a target as most what I dig is under 6 inches (and no, I don't time it, just feels that way, lol). But my hats off to you folks who are able to use hardly no pressure etc... fantastic. Simply stated, for me, I dig practically everything, that works for me, its what I enjoy, and the way I use the propointer and the benefits to me, It's all good. Lol.

Reckon I use mine differently, and am ok with that, and also know that they wear, but, if a silly rubber cap extends the wear by years, would be kind of silly not too... but again, that's just me.

That's one of the fun things with this hobby, we all have our own styles and opinions... I won't say one way is better than the other, I'll just say what works for "me" and what I enjoy.

This thread is/was about pinpointer tip protection, reckon I've added my thoughts.

Ya'll enjoy and happy hunting!!!

Ron

I coated the business end of my Garrett pp with black epoxy, works great. I also sealed the speaker hole with black silicone to keep out dirt, water, and quiet it down. Just as important, I put a thicker layer of black silicone over the power button, overlapping the plastic body around the rubber switch cover. This is also a pathway for dirt and water into the unit. Just take one apart after a year of use, you’ll be amazed how much dirt finds its way in there. I figured this will also extend the life of the rubber switch cover, eventually you’ll wear a hole through it.

After dealing with 3 of the black Garett pp, I picked up the new pp by XP. Since I don’t have a Deus, I didn’t need the WiFi version, so I got the MI-4 and I love it. Fully encased and rebuildable, and best of all fully waterproofed, programmable, and rechargeable with a USB . The charge plug sits under the waterproof end cap. The battery life is impressive, I run it with vibration and light off during the daytime. On windy days I’ll turn the vibration on if I can’t hear the sound clearly. I haven’t had it long enough to make a judgement on durability, but no problems so far.

yea over time (several months) mine started to get deep gouges and you could tell it was starting to wear a couple flat spots, i also hunt rocky areas. i figured to slow down the wearing process i'd coat it. wish i did this from day one but i'll know better next time. once it wears to a certain point the small coil inside the pointer would be exposed and no longer water resistant.

Worse than that, the loss of material around the end of the tip of the pinpointer results in more "flex" of the pin pointer when dragged across, or pushed into soil. The flex can cause falsing, and even worse... can break the ferrous rod within the end of the pinpointer resulting in falsing at the slightest pressure.

Best solution is to not wear down the tip ever. Buy a tip protector from e-Bay. I sell them there, btw (in full disclosure). Can't miss em... 3 in a set. Probably never go through one of them.

Cheers,

Skippy

Last edited:
Shouldn’t have to go to that much trouble, hello Garrett?:roll:Just buy a Makro pinpointer and it comes with tip protectors. I have had mine for 2 years now with ZERO problems and the pinpointer tip still looks like new.:D

Back
Top Bottom