• Forum server maintanace tonight.
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

The Official Whites MXT Information Thread

CyberSage

Elite Member
Hello Forum Members!

I am about to enter into the world of the Whites MXT metal detector. I have used my Whites DFX a little over 2 years now. I am very happy with performance and will continue it's use. The fact of the matter is I want a new toy! I have some questions on the MXT and thought we might create a resource in this thread containing information, links, tips and advice in the use of this fine detector. If you have knowledge or experience with the MXT here are a few items I would really like your input on...

1. Depth comparisons with the DXF
2. Hunting without tone ID.
3. Favorite coils and why you like them.
4. Effectiveness in finding deep coins.
5. Here is a big one! How does this detector handle EMI?
6. If you use both the MXT and DFX. Tell your experiences.
7. Absolutely anything else you would like to contribute.

Thanks!

whites_mxt.jpg

Here are some links to some informative threads here on the forum courtesy of Rudy. Thanks Rudy!
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=15979&highlight=MXT+noise

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=14710&highlight=MXT+noise

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=14507&highlight=MXT+FAQs

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=6966&highlight=MXT+FAQs

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=2304&highlight=MXT+FAQs

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=14711&highlight=understanding+sounds

Great Tips and info from Lowjiber!

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=19320

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showpost.php?p=237017&postcount=5

Here is a fantastic support page and FAQ on the MXT.

http://nevada-outback-gems.com/MXT_files/MXT_basepage.htm

Related Web Links:

http://www.ourpasthistory.com/metal/newcomers-guide-to-the-whites-mxt

Keep Swing'in
Jack

Last edited:
I LOVE my EXcelerator SEF 10x12 butterfly coil!!! I am consistently finding those pre-1950 coins on edge from 5" to 12"!!!!

Hello Forum Members!

I am about to enter into the world of the Whites MXT metal detector. I have used my Whites DFX a little over 2 years now. I am very happy with performance and will continue it's use. The fact of the matter is I want a new toy! I have some questions on the MXT and thought we might create a resource in this thread containing information, links, tips and advice in the use of this fine detector. If you have knowledge or experience with the MXT here are a few items I would really like your input on...

1. Depth comparisons with the DXF
2. Hunting without tone ID.
3. Favorite coils and why you like them.
4. Effectiveness in finding deep coins.
5. Here is a big one! How does this detector handle EMI?
6. If you use both the MXT and DFX. Tell your experiences.
7. Absolutely anything else you would like to contribute.

Thanks!

Keep Swing'in
Jack

Jack, I use the MXT now and Joe has used the DFX for several years.
He likes the MXT and said he wished he had bought it instead of the DFX because he doesn't utilize all the features of the DFX.
Joe like sthe tone ID and I've been used to tone ID, but I have no problem
determing when something good is under the coil.

I use the Eclipse 6X10 DD coil all the time now (Joe steals it off my MXT and puts it on his DFX every chance he gets!).

Finding deep coins isn't a problem for the MXT, either. I've found som really old stuff and the MXT has no problem determining that it's a coin.

It's a good machine. I'm impressed with it, for sure.
I only got a couple months use out of it last year so I'm looking forward to this summer.

Last edited:
Jack,

I believe the MXT handles EMI better than the DFX. The exact operating frequency of the MXT was chosen to be as far away from the 60 Hz power line frequency harmonics as possible to minimize EMI.

Many times I have hunted next to High Voltage Power Transmission Lines right of ways without any problems, even with DD coils which are not as good handling EMI as concentric coils.

Jack,

I believe the MXT handles EMI better than the DFX. The exact operating frequency of the MXT was chosen to be as far away from the 60 Hz power line frequency harmonics as possible to minimize EMI.

Many times I have hunted next to High Voltage Power Transmission Lines right of ways without any problems, even with DD coils which are not as good handling EMI as concentric coils.

The draw back I have with using big DD coils with my MXT like the 10x14 DD (I sold it) or my SEF 10x12 is that I have to turn the gain way down when hunting by power lines. This seems to be more sensitive in the relic mode. This is similar to the issue I posted about hunting in Relic mode with other MXT users hunting in the C&J mode. I get nasty EMI pulsing with both scenarios.

The draw back I have with using big DD coils with my MXT like the 10x14 DD (I sold it) or my SEF 10x12 is that I have to turn the gain way down when hunting by power lines. This seems to be more sensitive in the relic mode. This is similar to the issue I posted about hunting in Relic mode with other MXT users hunting in the C&J mode. I get nasty EMI pulsing with both scenarios.

Like I said, DD coils are not as good for EMI as concentrics. I sold my 1400 DD a long time ago because of its weight, so I never had occasion to use it on a power line right of way. I suspect it would have been too big for the typical right of way (rocks, bushes, ...) anyway.

When multiple hunters with the same detector gather in a small area, you will get some interference ... regardless of the detector model, unless you have one of those detectors that offer a way to shift the frequency by some amount. It is really not a specific MXT problem.

If you think that is bad, try hunting close to someone using a PI. :roll: I can hear the PI on my earphones when they are 20 feet away. :shock:

I have an MXT and love it but bounty hunter detectors play havoc with it. Lots and interference. Ice

Thank for the input! I am really struggling with the lack of Tone I.D. on the MXT. I noticed there is a 2 tone response in the Relic mode. Is hunting coins in the relic mode going to cost me any thing in performance. Please note I have added some great links in the first message in the thread. Thanks again.

Keep Swing'in
Jack

Last edited:
Thank for the input! I am really struggling with the lack of Tone I.D. on the MXT. I noticed there is a 2 tone response in the Relic mode. Is hunting coins in the relic mode going to cost me any thing in performance. Please note I have added some great links in the first message in the thread. Thanks again.

Keep Swing'in
Jack

Nope, its just as deep. Some people actually think it goes deeper than C&J mode but I don't find that to be true.

Keep Swing'in
Jack

Get "The MXT Edge" by Jeff Foster and you will be become one with your MXT...

Is hunting coins in the relic mode going to cost me any thing in performance.
Jack,

I hunt exclusively in relic mode. The addtional all-metal tone is great for "whispers" when the gain is turned down. I've found three pieces of jewelry that only whispered. Had I been in C&J mode, I would have missed them.

(Rudy taught me that.)

Jack,

I hunt exclusively in relic mode. The addtional all-metal tone is great for "whispers" when the gain is turned down. I've found three pieces of jewelry that only whispered. Had I been in C&J mode, I would have missed them.

(Rudy taught me that.)

I too operate in this mode. This is how I find the deep old coins. I listen for the "whispers." You also need good headphones.

Jack,

(Rudy taught me that.)

No you wouldn't have John, depending on your discrimination setting. C&J is also a mixed mode and the all-metal mode whispers will be heard, as long as
you don't discriminate out the gold.

I don't like the standard (center trigger) relic mode myself, because of all the sounds it makes, but I never miss the small gold jewelry in C&J because I set the discrimination down to not block out anything above iron. When hunting in areas where jewelry is a likely find, I run my MXT in C&J with discrimination around #2 on the dial.

Wow, great thread... Of course it is making me crazy because I bought a used MXT on Ebay a few weeks ago and can't take it out and try it here in Wisconsin. ( sigh)

I am interested in any opinions about different coils. When I bought the used machine, it came with a 5.3 or small round coil, a large 12" round, a 6x10 DD, and the stock old MXT coil. I just ordered two more bottom shafts so I can switch them out easy.

Also, any opinion on using a dust cover from Kelly Co, or the in-line probe that can attach to the MXT? I forgot the names (dx-1?) because I don't even want to get the detector out of the closet. It is torture. ( sighs again, deeper )

So any Bounty Hunter model will interfere with the MXT? Oh geez. I have two BH Tracker IV's at home as well for the kids to use. ( No, you go way over THERE and detect!! ) haha....

Also, any opinion on using a dust cover from Kelly Co, or the in-line probe that can attach to the MXT? I forgot the names (dx-1?) because I don't even want to get the detector out of the closet. It is torture.
Get a DX-1 and start hunting in '09 ready. You won't regret it.

Yuppers, one came with the detector. I just hope it all works Ok when I take it out in the field. I obtained some extras with my purchase. What else are nice add-ons for this detector?

Wow, great thread... Of course it is making me crazy because I bought a used MXT on Ebay a few weeks ago and can't take it out and try it here in Wisconsin. ( sigh)

I am interested in any opinions about different coils. When I bought the used machine, it came with a 5.3 or small round coil, a large 12" round, a 6x10 DD, and the stock old MXT coil. I just ordered two more bottom shafts so I can switch them out easy.

Also, any opinion on using a dust cover from Kelly Co, or the in-line probe that can attach to the MXT? I forgot the names (dx-1?) because I don't even want to get the detector out of the closet. It is torture. ( sighs again, deeper )

So any Bounty Hunter model will interfere with the MXT? Oh geez. I have two BH Tracker IV's at home as well for the kids to use. ( No, you go way over THERE and detect!! ) haha....

I didn't find the covers very useful. Unlike the cover for the DFX, the MXT control box cover doesn't protect against rain because of the knobs. A clear plastic bag around the control box and a sandwich sized zip lock bag over the LCD pod is the best solution I've found.

Back
Top Bottom