Antique ring ID help needed

blcorn80

Hi folks! I found this ring earlier this summer and I'm trying to get a little more info on it.

As you can see, it is dated 1917, but I'm not entirely convinced it's a class ring. There is what I'm guessing is a boxing glove in the middle, surrounded by the letters "EDAS" or "EDA9". I can't find anything regarding what this might stand for. If the last (lower right) character is an "S", I was thinking it would be E___________ D_____________ Athletic Society or something similar.

The maker's mark can faintly be seen in the side-view picture. It is backwards capital B next to a forward-facing capital B. I've tracked that down to the Bastian Bros. Company that began in 1895.

Any other ideas or info?

Attachments

• 1917 ring (800x599).jpg
    1917 ring (800x599).jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 305
  • 1917 ring maker's mark (800x587).jpg
    1917 ring maker's mark (800x587).jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 301
Interesting ring. The logo appears to be an arm wearing a boxing glove and behind it is a ring containing the letters E, D, A, & S. Boxing gloves aren't usually portayed with the arm in them. I wonder if the ring was made for a boxing club like "East Detroit Athletic Society" or something like that and the logo was the same as what hung over the door. Of course, I'm just speculating. A super nice find though, Congrats!

I'd check Baskin Brothers jewelers. They made class rings, armed forces rings (1917 US entered ww1)...could be a link there...other than that,

the only other link i've found was either the Russian Revolution of 1917
or the EDSA which is the philipino people power movement that caused Ferdinand Marcos to leave the country...he was born in 1917..the EDSA(Epifanio de los Santos Avenue) is a road in Manila where many demonstrations etc occured.

that's all I could find....EDSA always referenced the people power

Back
Top Bottom