Your thoughts on Minelab Explorer 2

Mikthestik

I’m looking at buying a Minelab Explorer 2 but have little knowledge of the operation of this machine. Looks like a good one as it has a pro coil and upgrades on the data cards. I’ve used the MXT quite a bit with good success and was looking for advice on what the learning curve would be? Is $450 a fair price? I’ll be using it for relics and beach or whatever sounds fun. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated 👍

I’m looking at buying a Minelab Explorer 2 but have little knowledge of the operation of this machine. Looks like a good one as it has a pro coil and upgrades on the data cards. I’ve used the MXT quite a bit with good success and was looking for advice on what the learning curve would be? Is $450 a fair price? I’ll be using it for relics and beach or whatever sounds fun. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated 👍

The explorer series (s, xs, II, Se, and SePro) are a great set of Multifrequency VLF detectors, especially when it comes to hunting salt water beaches. The II was the first model to feature a screen with both ferrous and conductive #'s. The II also received a faster processor than the S and XS.

It is pretty easy to use. There is an auto mode that you can use to simply turn on and go. But there are also manual settings to tweak the machine for max sensitivity and depth as well as discrimination. For tips, pick up Andy sabisch book in the explorer.

Considering it's age, the plastic parts can fatigue and crack or break. Look at the control module where the upper shaft slides in. Are there cracks? What about the cam mechanics that connects the upper to lower shafts, does it still work or are there cracks? Check out the headphone connector. This used the mini connector and was easily damaged. Of course, this is nothing you can't ghetto engineer or use resine to repair, but if it does have such damage, don't pay top dollar.

Coils.... I like the original coil more than the pro coil. It was more sensitive and deeper by about 1.5". That was just my experience but the pro coil is slightly lighter and looks more modern. I'd skip both and buy the 13" ultimate coil which will give you at least 20% more depth. The 15 could will really give you a boost in depth and help you cover more ground, (ideal for big beaches) but are much harder to use in the grass. The Exp-Ii will work good all the way up to 21" coils if you are in clean areas and have the arm strength to swing it.

$450 is on the high end for that machine, especially with ML releasing it's Equinox 600, an improved lightweight version that is also waterproof for $650 MSRP, brand new with warranty. Ive bought and sold quite a few explorers. Best deal was $175, and the most I paid for an SePro was $450. So you are in the ball park but it's whatever you feel comfortable with.

Any other questions, just ask

Pretty much am spot on with David. $450 is the high side. I would say $350 is more like it unless it is in like new shape. The original slimline coil is fantastic. Be aware that you will have to swing this machine slower than you average detector, but it will make up for it in finds. The FBS machines are outstanding once you know their language.

Explorers ROCK! Id feel more comfortable paying 350-400$ unless there's a sun ray probe attached to it. Good luck and happy hunting!

I would gladly pay $500 for one in mint shape if in the market. I've used mine for about 8 years now with no issues. I also own an etrac, but found the Exp II out-performs it.

I currently use the pro coil, but I really miss my 10x12 SEF.

The Explorers series are GREAT machines. If your in any kind of trash you will need to hunt in a more open screen to it can recover fast enough. Go slow slow slow in trash and the silver will pop out!

As others have said $450 might be a touch high.

Explorer2 has 1/4” jack,no mini. FYI. “Updated card”? Should just be version 2.0,it’ll say when you turn it on. I paid more than that for mine but it was like brand new with 2 coils.

Great Comments, Thanks for the insight

Thank you for all the responses. I appreciate the help!

I'm sure you mean NOS, as parts for Exp II pop up on eBay randomly, and if you try you can sometimes find cannablized units on detecting forums.

I was referring to OEM, there will always be used parts popping up on EBay but I have very little faith in used detector parts from ebay.

FYI - There is a company in the UK that sells parts for the FBS machines. When I checked last year, here was the run down....
$65 - push button control pad
$300 - circuit boards
$95 - OEM cams (for shaft)

If buying used, find one that you can test and ensure it works before forking over the money. Find it cheap. Then it is worth the gamble. If you are planning to spend $450, may as well spend a few bucks extra and buy a new Equinox -- latest and greatest technology with a warranty.

I was referring to OEM, there will always be used parts popping up on EBay but I have very little faith in used detector parts from ebay.
I'm sure you mean NOS, as parts for Exp II pop up on eBay randomly, and if you try you can sometimes find cannablized units on detecting forums.

FYI - There is a company in the UK that sells parts for the FBS machines. When I checked last year, here was the run down....
$65 - push button control pad
$300 - circuit boards
$95 - OEM cams (for shaft)

If buying used, find one that you can test and ensure it works before forking over the money. Find it cheap. Then it is worth the gamble. If you are planning to spend $450, may as well spend a few bucks extra and buy a new Equinox -- latest and greatest technology with a warranty.
Yeaaaahhh, they said the same thing about the Etrac. Mine spends a lot of time in the closet.

Back
Top Bottom