large cent example

del

Elite Member
This large cent had a green hard stubborn "cement-like" layer , unfortunately it also had a small amount of pitting hiding under this layer but despite this i'm very happy with the results . :D

Attachments

• april 1841 lg ct. front.jpg
    april 1841 lg ct. front.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 2,209
  • april 1841 obverse uncleaned.jpg
    april 1841 obverse uncleaned.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 2,209
  • april 1841 obverse partial picked.jpg
    april 1841 obverse partial picked.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 2,282
  • april 1841 obverse mostly picked.jpg
    april 1841 obverse mostly picked.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 2,208
  • april 1841 reverse cleaned.jpg
    april 1841 reverse cleaned.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 2,321
another recent find before and after the first cleaning

Attachments

• 1819 matron toothpicked.jpg
    1819 matron toothpicked.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 2,281
  • dirty matron.jpg
    dirty matron.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 2,279
another recent find before and after the first cleaning

Holy cow, you turned that thing from toast to beautiful! Hmmm i wonder how much a large cent in that shape (after cleaning) is worth...

Could you post a picture of the dental pics? And maybe explain a bit more about your cleaning methods? You really did a fantastic job

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Good job!

As a former Auto Tech (wrench turner) with four large tool boxes filled to the brim with tools, I have a small drawer filled with dental and other picks that I haven't even thought of using for this. Thanks for the idea!

I just learned another way to clean the coins using something like a pick type deal. My wife was sitting at the table working away at something while I am finishing my surfing here before I leave. I look over and she is picking away at a token I found trying to see some of the lettering. She is using an ink pen cap (you know the old Bic pens that have caps and it has a long piece on the cap that is pointed, does anyone else have these still lol). I like it, it seems like it would cause less damage because it's plastic and semi-soft (sure it can damage but less of a chance than using metal). I told her that and she just smiled and said "see i am not as dumb as you think" :laughing::laughing:

Could you post a picture of the dental pics? And maybe explain a bit more about your cleaning methods? You really did a fantastic job

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

these are just your average run of the mill types , I use to remove or loosen the dirt . These will scratch the soft copper if you come in contact with the harder stainless steel tool.

Attachments

• dental picks.jpg
    dental picks.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 1,950
Holy cow, you turned that thing from toast to beautiful! Hmmm i wonder how much a large cent in that shape (after cleaning) is worth...

Those did come out very nice but a cleaned coin is worthless to a collector, the only way they can have collector value is if it's a key to the series.

Those did come out very nice but a cleaned coin is worthless to a collector, the only way they can have collector value is if it's a key to the series.

Actually they were pretty worthless before the cleaning now i could get a few $$ for them Ron.

Actually they were pretty worthless before the cleaning now i could get a few $$ for them Ron.

I agree they are worth more now than before, what I meant is there is no grading system for cleaned coins, uncleaned you can put a grade to it and a value, cleaned coins are worth what someone is willing to pay. being underground takes it's toll on all coin values, most collectors just don't want them. Don't get me wrong you did an amazing job cleaning them and brought back some value to an otherwise worthless coin. I think they came out great.

Another large cent from last weekend . before and after pictures

Attachments

• 1851 obverse dirty.jpg
    1851 obverse dirty.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 1,643
  • 1851 obverse partilly picked.jpg
    1851 obverse partilly picked.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 1,672
  • 1851 cleaned.jpg
    1851 cleaned.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 1,588
  • 1851 dirty.jpg