Bahamas

Yukon Trl.

I'll be on a cruise in Oct. and was wondering if anyone knows if Detecting is legal in Nassau or Freeport, Bahamas.

This was posted by an anonymous tourist 02/17/06. Not use if it's legit. I remember speaking to a German who I met metal detecting in Destin Florida who goes detecting all over the world. He had found a 2 escudo in either Antigua who had metal detected in the Bahamas. He had said that there is a very fine line and it depends on how you phrase the answer to the question, what are you looking for? If you say coins you will be o.k. if you say antiquities you would be arrested under piracy laws? This guy followed the big hurricanes that hit these foreign countries and would be joined by a hundred or so like minded people looking for Spanish treasure that might be unearthed by the rough seas and pushed onto shore. I ran into the same thing when I recently wanted to take my metal detector to Lebanon and asked around on the metal detector sites with no luck. I did my own research and called the Ambassador to Lebanon in Washington D.C. personally. Their laws state on the homeland security website "Lebanese Customs authorities may enforce strict regulations concerning the import and export of such items as firearms or antiquities. It is advisable to contact the Embassy of Lebanon in Washington D.C. or one of Lebanon's consulates in the United States for specific information regarding customs requirements. Please refer to information on customs regulations." The Ambassador first asked why I wanted to bring a metal detector, to which I told him to look for coins and jewelery. He said it would be o.k. Then I asked how I can take these items out of the country and he replied, "I don't think so." I started to ask him another question and he hung up on me. My advice to you is to call the ambassador to the Bahamas, then double check by calling a dive operation in the Bahamas or visa versa. In the end the laws are made vague specifically for the purpose of allowing them to do what ever they feel like doing, i.e. taking an expensive metal detector from a stupid American Tourist and putting him in jail until he comes up with the money (bribe) for his release minus a metal detector!
http://www.bahamasb2b.com/discus/messages/18/295.html?1140167862

It says it's not allowed anywhere in the Bahamas and punishable by 7 years in prison and loss of your passport!:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

Just my opinion, but from what i've read about officials in the Bahamas (a person i know who lives on a sailboat reported this) they are a bunch of crooks and if you would get stopped, it wouldn't suprise me that you'll need to hand out some cash in order to carry on...

Last I heard you might need to get a permit to hunt in the Bahamas - at least on some of the beaches

Back
Top Bottom