Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Coiltek electronics
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Metal Detector Accessories

Old 07-11-2018, 07:10 PM

Default Inexpensive Metal Detecting Tools

So, my detector should be here Friday. Waiting for more eBay sales to help out with a quality pinpointer. The other tools needed, can you skimp on price and get at least close to the same results? I would like a longer handle digging tool, but have to wait.

Would this work for digging?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Serrated...ae9e%7Ciid%3A1

Any particular material for gloves work the best?
Thansm
Thanks

Old 07-11-2018, 07:28 PM

Yes that will work great. Bought this one at Walmart for around 10 bucks. Works great. One side is sharp as a knife, the other side sharp serrated saw and bottom has a v that will twist and pop roots. Love this tool in parks where you don't want to tear up the grass. Other spots I use a mini shovel. I personally can't justify spending 60+ bucks on a shovel that digs no faster. I did buy one though and still prefer the basic.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:09 PM

Hey that one looks good. I will look for it.

Old 07-11-2018, 10:24 PM
Supporter

Looks like it would work. If you were going to scrimp I might go this direction

https://www.google.com/search?q=full...obile&ie=UTF-8

These are close to unbreakable and a straight flat blade may stink for scooping, it cuts a nice plug and inserts into the ground easier that a curved or angled blade.

Old 07-11-2018, 10:33 PM

I have that tool. Its good and i sharpened the edges. Its grip is hard. I picked up a whites hand digger at a show and i wish i would of got that. Nice soft handle on it.

Old 07-13-2018, 01:51 PM
Elite Member

That looks like the Gator digger that I have from Kellyco. I got it in a trade and it is brand new and the dullest digger that I have ever seen. If I ever decide to use it I will have to spend a lot of time sharpening it. Myself I do not care for the stepped design of them and the Lesche. Like the other poster, I have been using Hori-Hori type diggers for about forty years and have never once felt like they might break. And I have really abused them. You can find them on Amazon starting around $14.00 and I doubt if you will ever need another.

Old 07-13-2018, 02:27 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by bmcouni3 View post
Yes that will work great. Bought this one at Walmart for around 10 bucks. Works great. One side is sharp as a knife, the other side sharp serrated saw and bottom has a v that will twist and pop roots. Love this tool in parks where you don't want to tear up the grass. Other spots I use a mini shovel. I personally can't justify spending 60+ bucks on a shovel that digs no faster. I did buy one though and still prefer the basic.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Agree. This is a great tool.

Old 07-13-2018, 02:54 PM
Elite Member

Smile

Originally Posted by collegefbfan View post
Would this work for digging?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Serrated...ae9e%7Ciid%3A1

Any particular material for gloves work the best?
The shovel you posted is what I have, and it works very well. I really like it, the carbon steel blade makes it very very durable, and the blaze orange handle makes it harder to loose. I highly recommend it.

As for gloves, I use a pair of leather work gloves from Menards that cost under $5.

Matthew 6:19-21
2018 Clad: 152 Coins ($10.40) ~ Totals: 400 Clad Coins ($26.15) ~ 1 Pre-Clad Coin ($0.01)
2 Foreign Coins ($0.06) ~ Oldest Coin: 1945 Wheatie ~ Au: 0 ~ Ag: 0
Harbor Freight 9 Function ~ Bounty Hunter Junior ~ Cen-Tech Pinpointer

Old 07-15-2018, 05:51 PM

If you think you might prefer a hori hori-style digger, this one is a screaming deal at 8 bucks right now. If you're careful about cleaning after every hunt, being carbon instead of stainless shouldn't be an issue.

Old 07-16-2018, 07:23 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by El Cheapo View post
If you think you might prefer a hori hori-style digger, this one is a screaming deal at 8 bucks right now. If you're careful about cleaning after every hunt, being carbon instead of stainless shouldn't be an issue.

I've been wanting to try the hori style digger for awhile now....but I've been too cheap since I have multiple other diggers....but for 9 bucks shipped, I'll give it a shot...thanks

Old 07-16-2018, 10:35 AM
Elite Member

I was happy with mine.....It works great on good topsoil and turf, not so much with Missouri rock. I'm using the Whites Digmaster and a treasurewise knife now.
Name:  20171109_131438.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  141.2 KB

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:56 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by El Cheapo View post
I have one of those Hori-Hori knives. I have been using this style for around forty years. I don't believe that you can break them. I have abused mine that would break most other diggers. I don't worry about rust. I just wipe the dirt off before I put it back in the sheath. Any rust would come off in the next dig. I haven't seen any rust anyway. Normally you can find them on Amazon starting around $14.00 anyway.

Old 07-16-2018, 02:41 PM

The one you showed on Amazon for 8 bucks. Yes!!! I am getting it.