Do You Metal Detect For Exercise?

Swing4TheRing

Forum Supporter
Are you in it for the exercise or ever thought about how far you've walked or how many calories you burn metal detecting? My guess is no (especially if you're Mudpuppy) but I bet we've all walked further than we think! And for what... a few pulltabs and a wheat penny! :laughing:

Here's what I've come up with for metal detecting for exercise for me at least.

While I don't detect specifically just for the exercise, I very much appreciate the exercise as a nice side benefit to having fun :lol:

Keeping up with yard work in our 1 1/2 acre yard is where I really get some good exercise, and while I do enjoy yard work, it's definitely not quite as much fun as detecting :laughing:

Yes , I'm aware and have an idea of how far I walk when I hunt. Have really noticed over the last 5 years. This is my primary source of exercise. Many times I know the conditions on the beach are horrible and know I won't find much of anything. But I go anyway for the exercise and well....you just never know !

I really didn't realize how much metal detecting was an integral part of my waistline managment. Haven't been out much, half my pants don't fit anymore!!

Keeping up with yard work in our 1 1/2 acre yard is where I really get some good exercise, and while I do enjoy yard work, it's definitely not quite as much fun as detecting :laughing:

I've got some yard work you can come enjoy :laughing:

Many times I know the conditions on the beach are horrible and know I won't find much of anything. But I go anyway for the exercise and well....you just never know !

That's the spirit! :clapping:

I really didn't realize how much metal detecting was an integral part of my waistline managment. Haven't been out much, half my pants don't fit anymore!!

That's why I like detecting in the water... no one knows if you are wearing pants or not! Just stay out past waist deep... :jester:

I think of it as being active rather than exercise, if that makes sense. Exercise makes us capable of more activity, especially at older ages. Whatever you call it, it beats sitting around, if that would have been the alternative.

As for waistline management, that depends on how big of a sandwich you fix when you get home!

Exercise is one of the reasons I detect. I'm in my late 50's and have always been a video gamer. I also play a lot of poker. So I sit at my job and I sit for entertainment. Not good. After my first year of detecting I've lost 25 lbs and am in much better shape. I'm eating better as well, but the walking and getting down to dig and back up over and over is more exercise than I have had in years.

Whenever I look at my watch after detecting the number of steps registered is much less than if I got for a walk for a much shorter time. Not sure if my watch is not picking up the steps as I am going much slower and not swinging my wrist.

A couple of years after I retired seven years ago, my doctor told me to find a low impact way to spend time on my feet moving. So I grabbed an old MXT and haven't looked back. In those five years I've lost 15 pounds and kept it off, my resting heartrate is back to the mid 50's, and my blood pressure is back to 120/80. I don't think it's just the 2 to 6 hours a day I spend out, it's the walk to and from public transit (1.6 mile round trip) walking into sites and getting up and down hundreds of times a day for chump change and treasures. I've hunted an average of over 225 days a year for five years, and found a few really cool items. My wife even approves 'cause she gets the best (unreturned) rings that I find.
Metal Detecting may not be considered a valid 'exercise', but it's contributed to keeping me physically and mentally healthy at age 74. I have something to look forward to everyday and I'm not 'underfoot' for the wife.

Its not so much the walking for me, as I do it as a part of my job. Its the taking of the knee to cut every plug with a hand tool. I try an make it into a lunge exercise every time. I put in about 10 hours this weekend and can feel it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm loving all of these positive comments about the topic and how many people are seeing the benefits! If you haven't seen it, I made this video in regards to detecting for exercise.

*Please note that the disclaimer is this video is during the COVID-19 orders and you should use caution if deciding to still go out and detect, even as a mean for exercise. Safety is always key!

While I don't detect specifically just for the exercise, I very much appreciate the exercise as a nice side benefit to having fun :lol:

I agree 100%!

I do get exercise and need to at my age. One of my areas it is a twenty minute hike in and a little more out. Plus all the up and down digging holes since I am one how goes down on one knee to pin point and recover items.

Plus the benefits of just being out in the woods and away from the computer and home. I work from home and get cabin fever about every 2-3 days.

Plus it is fun! I have tried to think of a better hobby.

While detecting is way better for you than sitting around watching TV, I really don't think of it as a form of exercise. It's way too slow moving to give you any cardio benefit. Possible benefits may be the fresh air and stress reduction that it brings. I use walking as my way to exercise but for the time being I'll have to find a new place to walk because the town closed the walking track in the park because of the virus.

I don't consider it to be exercise.

Some people have classified it as hard work, but I don't feel it is.

I'm closer to 60 than 50, and still in pretty good shape I think.

I'm in it for the fun!

My family doctor considers my playing at the beach with a scoop and metal detector to be good exercise. Heck I do it for the hunt, the finds and the scenery. On the dirt I do it for the hunt and the finds. Some evenings I know that I am going to be sore the next day from all the getting up. Getting down is easy.

I am 74 years old. I have been detecting for around forty years. I doubt if I would have lasted this long if I didn't. My car has been down for a couple of months and I haven't been able to detect. It shows.

Back
Top Bottom