Bluetooth setup

LSUThunder

I wanted to try wireless headphones and see if they worked. I ordered the Bluetooth transmitter and the adapter as I already had the headphones. To my surprise it worked like a charm. There is no delay or at least none that I can tell. Hopefully I will get to field test it this weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_20161214_195137.jpg
    IMG_20161214_195137.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 1,678
  • IMG_20161214_195212.jpg
    IMG_20161214_195212.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 1,456
  • IMG_20161214_195237.jpg
    IMG_20161214_195237.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 1,459
Man I need to try this some day, can't tell you how many times my earbud gets pulled out and falls into the dirt, water or sand. Can't even imagine how freeing that would be. Nice going!

Is that their BPL3 model? Do your headphones have apt-x? Is that the magic combo for no latency?

Same thing here. I've notice no delay in my setup either.

Love the sound of the headphone. Best by far of the ones I have used. Ignore the background LOL.

Bluetooth_8.jpg

Got them dirt cheap when our Hastings closed. They were 70% off.

Bluetooth_3.jpg

Easy to setup.

Bluetooth_7.jpg

I did same with my ATP but had to get an adapter https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008508ZYK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1 first .
I used wireless buds like those first but found the wire would get annoying being flat and sticking to the back of my neck so switched to a lightweight Bluetooth on ear pair.
Already had a BT receiver so didn't need to buy one.
Had a male/female adapter like that too but it seemed to slightly jiggle enough to cause static so switched to this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HY9ZWLG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and now it has no static at all specially after zip tying everything.
Totally worth it but Garrett should supply the adapter or at least give discount with purchase.
Just :my2cents:

Had a male/female adapter like that too but it seemed to slightly jiggle enough to cause static so switched to this one

My transmitter also had the 3.5 connector so I took my 1/4 adapter and used heat shrink to fasten it to my transmitter. Looks natural and no static.

Man I need to try this some day, can't tell you how many times my earbud gets pulled out and falls into the dirt, water or sand. Can't even imagine how freeing that would be. Nice going!

Is that their BPL3 model? Do your headphones have apt-x? Is that the magic combo for no latency?

This is the transmitter I bought ,currently $12.99 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NP9MYFM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As far as the headphones they were just some cheap ones I had laying around. I too have had my headphones yanked off my head and that is what made me think of this.

This is the transmitter I bought ,currently $12.99 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NP9MYFM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As far as the headphones they were just some cheap ones I had laying around. I too have had my headphones yanked off my head and that is what made me think of this.

I hope this works I just ordered one. I have had some Radio Shack Head phones for years that are actually pretty nice. I was hoping to find a transmitter that just used a plain old AA or AAA battery but could not find one.

Well I just messed up my Radio Shack Head phones are infared. I wonder if my Cell phone Jabra ear piece will work with the transmitter?

Thanks man. Added to my cart. Will find some earbuds (I usually only wear one in my right ear) and soon be FREE!!! Thanks!

It can get dang frustrating dealing with the fn wire!

Bluetooth for Whites Treasure Pro

Thanks to this thread I ordered materials I needed from Amazon, got the Velcro Dots from Walmart and hooked it all together. It works great and with 12 hours battery time per charge on the transmitter and whatever on the headset, I should be good to go. Thanks!

Attachments

• Feb 2017_IMG_5189.jpg
    Feb 2017_IMG_5189.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 1,204
  • Feb 2017_IMG_5188.jpg
    Feb 2017_IMG_5188.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 1,248
I just got the Brightech - BrightPlay Live HD Bluetooth Transmitter and a $5 pair of bluetooth earbuds from 5 below Zero.

I have them connected to my trusty BH Pioneer 202 and did some tests with various coins. I haven't noticed any appreciable lag at all.

Thanks for the original poster for the heads up!

This setup did not work with my Etrac. Changed up my tones completely and you will notice the lag.

This setup did not work with my Etrac. Changed up my tones completely and you will notice the lag.

The best results for metal detecting would be from Kleer technology headphones. They are getting harder to find, at least inexpensive sets. Off the top of my head, they include Sync by 50 cent, TDK WR700, Auvio 33-283 (very hard to find), AKG K840 (expensive), and Sennheiser HDR/RS 160/180. The Sennheiser headphones don't have a transmitter that lends itself to metal detecting, but any Kleer transmitter will work.

The reason Auvio 33-283 headphones were all the rage is because they were cheap, and used Kleer technology, which transmits it's signal uncompressed.

Bluetooth headphones may or may not produce a noticeable lag. That's because they use codecs to transmit a compressed signal. The lag comes from the time it takes for the transmitter to compress the signal and the receiver to decode it.

If you are trying to do bluetooth on the cheap, look for transmitter and receivers (headphones) that support the apt-x codec.

Oh, and look for headphones with at least 30 ohm impedance, so they don't sound like total !!!!!

Bluetooth will always have some latency. Normal apt-x is more about sound quality, the wiki entry says nothing about latency. There are a couple apt-x variants that do incorporate low latency (apt-x low latency, apt-x HD.) There are also bluetooth options out there with low latency but not apt-x.

Long story short unless both bluetooth transmitter and receiver support the same type of low latency, its a cr@p shoot how laggy your audio will be. I've tried a plane jane bluetooth headset and the sound was about a foot past the target I was sweeping. Low latency got it down to an inch or two. Decide how much lag is acceptable to you and go shopping.

I've had good luck with the Indigo BTR9L. Surely there are lots of low latency options out there now.

I decided to give this idea a shot with my Ace 400 - I've been interested in shedding the wired headphones in favor of earbuds for awhile, but I'm not willing to shell out the investment into z-link or other higher priced options which represent a sizeable portion of the cost of a new detector. At the same time, I know that lag is a real concern when using bluetooth, but this thread inspired me to do a little more research and give it a try.

I ended up ordering a TaoTronics bluetooth transmitter (http://a.co/7Vzy4L4), which specifically mentions AptX Low Latency as well as the AptX audio codec.

I had a hard time finding earbuds that I liked at a reasonable price that used AptX Low Latency - plenty of headphones, but no earbuds. So I ended up settling for a pair of earbuds that only mentions AptX audio (Anker SoundBuds Curve, http://a.co/cdtbD71). AptX audio still introduces less delay than other codecs ā€“ as little as 100 to 150 ms ā€“ even without the Low Latency version, so Iā€™m hoping to see good results. I swear by the quality of Anker products - everything from charging cables to portable chargers to earbuds (I already have an older, non-AptX set of earbuds that I really like for other applications), so no worries on overall quality. Itā€™ll just come down to how much latency turns up.

I got everything through Amazon (including a quality 3.5mm to Ā¼ā€ adapter) ā€“ the cart total would have been about $70, but I used $35 in rewards points to bring my out of pocket cost to about $35. I figure the worst case scenario is that I spend a little more for full-fledged Low Latency AptX over-the-ear headphones if the earbuds donā€™t work out, which would bring the latency down to 40-60ms ā€“ essentially the equivalent of wired. At about $50-$70 for a decent pair, I would still be way ahead of buying Z-link plus headsets.

Anyway, the hardware is due to arrive by Monday ā€“ Iā€™ll post up the results, good or bad!

Edit on 02/26/2018: Skip the Anker Soundbud Curves for this set up - although they had absolutely no latency, the sound quality for the Ace 400 really wasn't very good (see me posts below for details). I ended up using Anker Soundbud NB10 units instead - no latency, and excellent sound quality.

Last edited:
I received the items for my setup earlier today, but not in time to take with me on my hunt - still, I was amazed it was delivered on a Sunday at all!

I did do some quick backyard testing though, and I'm pleased with the results so far - I don't notice any latency at all using the Bluetooth transmitter coupled with the earbuds. Once I had everything paired and connected (which took no time - earbuds and transmitter paired very quickly), I turned on my Ace. I initially tested for any lag simply by pushing a few of the control box buttons - the Ace emits a tone every time a button is pushed. To my ear, the tones arrived in my earbuds virtually simultaneously with the button pushes.

Next I threw a couple quarters into the grass and swung. Tones again arrived with no detectable lag. Lastly, I went into pinpoint mode and found no latency at all. The tones arrived to the earbuds such that I was pinpointing the quarter exactly under the same spot of the coil as I was with the headphones.

I do have to admit, I don't like how the earbuds that I selected sound with the Ace - the tones are too tinny and harsh sounding for my tastes, and there really isn't any adjustment for that other than volume control. I tried them with my cell phone and listened to some music and they sound fine - kind of odd. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that the Ace's volume is permanently set to wide open at the factory, I don't know.

So, out of curiousity I hooked up my other Anker earbuds which are older and I didn't think are AptX capable (Anker Soundbud Sport NB10, http://a.co/aBuH5HE). I put them through the same tests, and got the exact same results in terms of lag or latency - absolutely none detectable to my ears! And even better, the sound of the tones was much improved. They are slightly more expensive at almost $40 bucks, so I guess it's not surprising that the sound quality was better - but I am surprised that there was no lag at all since the Sport earbuds aren't AptX capable.

So, either AptX doesn't really matter much, or maybe the Sport earbuds are AptX capable and they just aren't labeled for it? I'll call Anker's CS to find out for sure. Maybe the audio from the Ace is basic enough that there isn't really any compression to worry about and cause lag, so AptX doesn't matter?

Anyway, I'm very happy with the performance so far - I'll be going out for a full hunt tomorrow, so I should be able to give a final assessment after that. My only disappointment so far is that it looks like I could have saved myself the cost of the new earbuds, since it looks like my older ones will work better - the new ones supposedly have a much longer run time though, so we'll see. Maybe I'll get used to the sound quality in exchange for more hunting time ;) Either way, you can't beat going wireless for a tiny fraction of what Z-link would have cost! :cool:

Back
Top Bottom