A good Highend Metal detector

mgrooms

Hello!
I am in the market for a high-end metal detector. I would love advice on which brands are typically the best, which dry land detectors have the most versatility, and can handle changing environments. I am primarily looking for old copper pennies, so some detector calibrated to that, or calibratable to that would be the best. I am open to all opinions and or suggestions. Thanks!

I would suggest you give consideration to the Whites MXT. Its a high end detector without the high end cost. It has great depth from all the reviews and research I have read and has a whole HOST of coils to choose from. My next Detector will be an MXT.
Can't go wrong with the Whites name either. They stand behind their product. The MXT runs around $719ish and comes with $150 bonus bucks from Kellyco where you can get an extra coil if you apply the bucks...

Good luck with your search!

Welcome to the forum from California.

I agree the MXT is an excellent machine without the "high end" price. If you really want the latest detector...take a look at the Spectra V3 (a.k.a. "Vision").

I must truthfully say that I don't really recommend the Vision for a beginner. I have both and love 'em more than my kids (ages 39 & 36).:lol:

ill have to agree with lowjiber...the mxt would be a great start out detector,and the v3 ,,lol,,thats the one everyones lookin and drooling over...:lol: i have the mxt,i dont leave home with out it ......

The MXT runs around $719ish and comes with $150 bonus bucks from Kellyco where you can get an extra coil if you apply the bucks...

Good luck with your search!

Actually the $150 Bonus Bucks comes from White's. If you have a choice I'd rather buy from a local dealer. It would be good for your local economy and if anything happens to the machine your dealer would be just a short drive away. Plus you wouldn't have to pay shipping back and forth on etc etc explain everything over a phone to operator etc etc etc.

I've bought from KellyCo and my local dealer. I had some issues with my White's Machine from KellyCo and I've never had anything go wrong with my local dealer. You get to see what you're buying before you buy it ...test drive, good deals, lots of information, and you have time to shop, look around, and ask questions as they come to you. Plus you're helping out the little guy. It's win win win. Nothing absolutely wrong with KellyCo, I just don't like buying stuff over the phone and seeing it for the first time a week after I paid for it.

I would like to recommend the Minelab Etrac. It is not hard to learn and has great ability to get down to the older coins. The new 11" DD Pro coil is a great coil that comes with this machine. I wish you the best in your choice and if I can be of service just call or email me. Good hunting.

John Tomlinson,CET
John's Detectors

Of course I would buy from John any day of the week cause he's a good guy and I trust him.

Another vote

Hi, I guess you know by now that most people will advise you to buy the detector or brand that they own. That makes sense, but how does it help? I recommend you do a bunch of research, read reviews and make your own decision. Try out some dectectors if you can and decide how much weight you can tolerate. Join more forums and read what people are saying about the various models you are considering. I just went through this process and ended up buying a detector I am thrilled with. Good luck!

I own a DFX, I'd advise to go with a E-Trac, SE Pro, MXT, or Vision Spectra. All of these detectors I hear very good things about.

Search your feelings 13rannon! You know it to be true. Join me and we will rule the metal detecting universe together!

darth_dfx.jpg

Are you selling your Vision to get the E-Trac?

You're messing with me!

The Original Poster wants a High-End machine, a machine that is programmable( disc. and notch), that handles varying ground composition well.

The choices are:

Whites Spectra V3 (Vision)
Minelab E-Trac

On the second step of the ladder we find:
Whites DFX
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Fisher F75

There, you have the high-end machines MGrooms

Welcome to the forum

At the very top you have the White's Spectra V3 and the Minelab E-Trac. The same battle between White's and Minelab that has been raging for years. Both of these detectors are relatively new, with the V3 being the newest, so reports for comparisons are few. Looking strictly at specifications one would think the V3 is more versatile.

Next in line yet still high-end is the White's DFX, the Minelab SE and the Fisher F75. Although the Fisher F75 is in the same league as the DFX and SE, you really don't see it in the fight like the other two. The battle between the E-Series and the Explorer series tends to hold the top spot. Over the years both have had their pros and cons, but you can see a pattern where these two take different paths.

The Minelab claim to fame is "deep silver" whereas the White's holds the "most versatile" belt. It does seem that the gap is closing somewhat between the V3 and E-Trac as I've seen reports that the V3 can match the E-Trac for deep silver, and the E-Trac, with expanded VDI, can do a better job of target ID that the older models. One weak point of the Minelabs I have yet to see addressed is small gold sensitivity. This is one area where the White's does a better job.

One of the myths you often read about the White's top gun is "it is a complicated detector." To this I say hogwash. This is a myth passed by what I call the knob users. Some people prefer a basic approach to metal detectors and feel the fewer adjustments the better. Fact is there are some killer detectors in this range, and most of these users are very very good at getting the optimum performance out of these scaled down detectors. I believe Tesoro is the leader of this type of detector. I look at complicated like a stereo. Yes having a simple tone control(clockwise for highs counter clockwise for lows) makes operating the stereo simple and can be just as loud(depth) as any top of the line stereo, but not everyone is simply looking for volume.

Add a 32 band equalizer and you now have more control, but if you do not understand how to use that equalizer, you can make it sound like crap. Learn and understand how to use that equalizer, and there is no doubt when it come to performance.

Choosing the right detector is tough simply because what is right for Johnny, may not be right for Bill. To make matters even more complicated is the reports you read. George posts about finding a crap load of old coins with brand-a yet Tom posts with brand-a is total crap. I prefer to look at reports and not see what is being found, because even that $50 detector can make some fantastic finds in the right conditions, but see what is not being found. This is a more reliable way to compare detectors. If you like finding jewelry, for example, look at the users of brand-a and see if they are finding that jewelry. If not, chances are that is not the detector for you.

Last edited:
Callng Doctor Phil....

You think? I actually am saving for an E-Trac now. I think the engineering on this detector is worth a look. Did that help you out any? :lol:

Keep Swing'in
Jack
Let me do some math...

DFX + MXT + Vision + E-Trac? = metal detecting mid-life crisis (?)
:lol:

Seriously, all of the machines mentioned in this thread are deep. It often just boils down to small, individual choices. For example: I like the E-Trac too, but bought a Vision because of the 2.5kHz freq and the adaptability to my (many) coils for the MXT. Any serious MDer will find a way to "get her done" with any of them.

New folks to the hobby are often looking for a "magic bullet" detector. After some experience, we discover that there isn't ONE.

Last edited:
Where does the Minelab Sovereign fit in? Is it considered just below "high end?" Does it get less depth than the Spectra, DFX, Etrac, or SE?

Wow, this forum is great! Thanks for giving me a great place to start the reserach. Most of the material I will be looking for is copper, and I assume the coils are metal specific? In addition, I will be looking at the surface, with very minimal depth. Would the Etrac or MXT be overpowered for looking for surface copper (both old and new)? Also, what would you estimate the learning curve to be on the Etrac for a beginner? Again, thanks for all the responses and making me feel welcome!

Back
Top Bottom