re magnets

penguineman

Elite Member
Ok so I know there is gonna be a lot of opinions on this subject probably but wanting to try out a little water hunting before it gets really cold. it's suposed to be 80 degrees here the next few days I have a round hole scoop and I'm guessing I need to probably put a couple hard drive magnets in it. are most of you zip tieing them in or screwing them in with screws and nuts?? I will probably get a better scoop here next season but this scoop came with my detector when I got it a few weeks ago in a trade so I'm gonna have to make it work. Thanks a lot guys

I have been using Gorilla Glue and it works....for a while. Eventually they will fall out as the saltwater begins to deteriorate the magnets. I did learn to only put them in the center of the scoop because if you put them close to the sides that space seems to collect coins and its sometimes hard to see and remove them.

I have never seen the need for magnets myself, although the ATP knows iron for the most part.. I rarely shake out my scoop also, everything gets dumped on my board and rescanned...

I have thought about sweeping an area with a really wide magnet as an attempt to unmask some goodies in really hot spots that are iron laden.. Has anyone ever tried doing that?

<*)))>{

I don't bother with magnets,,,,gold small enough to fall through the hole is a distinctive sound,,,,,,and if it was gold, it wouldn't stick to the magnet anyway,,,,if it falls through a couple times and I no its not gold, I move on,,,,if it is possibly small gold,,,,I get a full scoop and lightly bring it toward me and put my hand against the wholes while it drains,,,,GL HH

I have never seen the need for magnets myself, although the ATP knows iron for the most part.. I rarely shake out my scoop also, everything gets dumped on my board and rescanned...

I have thought about sweeping an area with a really wide magnet as an attempt to unmask some goodies in really hot spots that are iron laden.. Has anyone ever tried doing that?

<*)))>{

I have a beach that I will be trying this at!

I use stainless steel zip ties, you can get them at any hardware store or menards.

RS11.jpg

I use rare earth magnets and glue them with on a liberal dose jbweld. Rare earth magnet are very strong.

I screwed in a magnet at the center of my scoop. I originally used plastic zip ties but they broke on my first outing. The magnet doesn't catch that many iron pieces. Just an occasional piece of wire or bobby pin. It wasn't worth the effort.

I screwed in a magnet at the center of my scoop. I originally used plastic zip ties but they broke on my first outing. The magnet doesn't catch that many iron pieces. Just an occasional piece of wire or bobby pin. It wasn't worth the effort.

One won't do the job. I put 3 on the bottom (big scoop), 3 around the perimeter on the inside and 3 more on the outside opposite from the 3 I have inside. Catch a lot with them

Back
Top Bottom