Colorado Aurora parks off limits

nferona

I have been having trouble metal detecting where I live. The parks are off limits. I know you are allowed to MD in denver parks but I still have trouble with the law. I always use a small probe and a small knife. is that wrong.

I would just like to know what parks I am allowed to go to without police telling me to leave. I live in Aurora about 15 mins from Denver International Airport.

Denver Parks are free to MD, but as you say, they don't allow digging tools. The Eureka Treasure club has cleared it with Denver Parks and a screwdriver like probe for popping surface coins is all that's permitted.

I wasn't aware Aurora you couldn't MD, but in Golden, Lakewood and Arvada you can :) Wheat Ridge says no in parks.

As far as Aurora, this is in their rules for Aurora Parks:
"6294. Use of Metal Detectors. It is unlawful to use metal detectors
outside of designated areas. It is unlawful to fail to fill in holes excavated
while retrieving buried objects. Underwater metal detectors are prohibited
outside of designated areas."

and

"6207. Damage to Property. It shall be unlawful to alter in any manner
lands and or property managed or owned by the City of Aurora without
written authorization from the Director of Parks, Recreation & Open Space
or designee. Alter is defined as, but not limited to, any modification of
existing lands or vegetation from its existing condition including any form
of digging
, landscaping, construction or placement of structures or other."

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice

Since I am a newbie when it comes to MDing how can I retrive my find with a screwdriver in a area thats covered in grass? is a small knife ok, I have a 3 3/4 inch blade. I do have a small pinpointer which will help.
I will damage my find if I am not careful about how I dig.
Anytips. I am about to go to city park for some hunting?
Thanks again for all your help.

You need to learn a skill called "popping".
Zeroing in on a target within a few inches under the soil, making a small slice in the grass and inserting a screwdriver or other tool like it to get under the target and push it to the surface.
If done right, just a small slit in the ground to mend instead of a big hole.
I believe there are some videos on Youtube that address this, and if you go to the make it yourself section here on this forum there are some threads about probes, (pointy tools to stick in the ground to locate the target), and poppers.
If you like the hobby and stay in it, plan on getting a Garrett Pro-pointer sometime for general retrieval and for popping..
Mine can find the exact location of coins and other small objects within 4 inches of the top of the soil so I don't really use a probe much.

HH

I was unaware of the Aurora code. I knew they don't allow it at the reservoir, but that is all. Can anyone provide a link to the proper city document?

I should add that I detect Aurora parks and I've seen several other guys with detectors out there, too. Often right in front of park employees!

OK, one more post. The quote in Sectshun8's post seems to come from here:

http://www.auroragov.org/stellent/groups/public/documents/article-publication/029104.pdf

That's a pdf file which is a bit confusing as the pages are out of order as I view it in my browser. The quoted bit is a regulation for the reservoir, not the rest of the parks. That's as I read it and if I'm wrong please let me know because I don't want to break the law.

The fine staff at Golden Detectors tell me that only two metro area cities have metal detecting rules for all parks, Denver and Wheat Ridge. (As Sectshun8 also noted)

I've also discovered that Douglas County treats all its parks as 'open space,' so like 'open space' in other counties metal detecting is not allowed even if the place appears to be a run of the mill park. Thankfully Douglas County puts up signs with the rules on them, so there's no confusion.

So, nferona, as far as I know you are good to detect everywhere around here, except the places mentioned above. Aurora is fair game as far as I can tell.

Um, the title of that document is:

Rules and Regs for Parks, Open Spaces and Reservoirs.

And "Any rule or regulation that refers to parks, park usage, or park grounds is
intended to include all open space, parks and reservoirs within the City of
Aurora,"

Those are general rules that are applied to all Aurora Parks. Granted the MD reference was to the reservoir specifically, the "any kind of digging" refers to their parks. In most cases, when I see i ntheir rules a line like that, I get the email fo the head of Parks and Rec for said town and find out what they really mean.

I did this for Lakewood and Golden and recieved the green light. I also got written permission from Prospect District Parks to hunt their parks when in their rules it outright says no digging.

To me, sure you've seen plenty of people that do it (doesn't make it right), but if their rules very obviously state no digging, to me, if you're there doing it, you're kind of doing a wrong to the hobby. If it were me, I'd find out from the city. But I don't see myself in Aurora hunting anytime soon. I've got my arms full with Boulder and Longmont, Lakewood, Golden and Arvada :)

Thanks

So it is off limits then.
Thanks for the information. I am just going to go to city park in denver. I never have had anybody bug me there.

Thanks again

Well, we're still waiting to see if the no digging rule is applied to MDers. I suspect not but let's wait and see. Here's what the local club says:

Most Denver Metro Area Parks and Schools

* Metal Detecting in most of the Denver Metro area parks and schools is permitted.
* Detecting school yards during normal school hours is highly is highly discouraged.
* Please fill in all holes made during the extraction of a target.
* If the target is too deep to remove without damage to the sod, leave it.
* Pick up and remove all trash that is dug and keep the site clean.
* Endeavor to leave no trace of a target extraction.
* If asked to leave by an official in an area you belive to be open, please be courteous and leave, but please get the name and number of the person and noticy the Eureka Board so we may take the matter up with the proper officials.

The following jurisdictions have special rules and regulations:

City of Denver Rules

* Metal Detecting in the City Denver Parks is permitted.
* The removal of detectable items must be done with only a ground probe or srewdriver.
* The use of hand trowels and shovels is prohibited and will not be tolerated as this activity can damage the turf.
* If anyone witnesses uninformed detectorists violating these restrictions you are asked to call Park Rangers to report the activity.
* Program your cell phone to call the Rangers at 303-880-0529 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting**************303-880-0529 for immediate response and 303-331-4050 otherwise.

City of Wheatridge Regulation

* Metal Detecting in Wheatridge Parks is currently prohibited.

Douglas County Open Space Regulations

* Metal Detecting in Douglas County Open Space is currently prohibited.
* Please check for signs in the parks in Douglas County as they may be zoned as Open Space.

Colorado State Park Rules and Regulations

* It is prohibited to remove, destroy, mutilate, modify or deface any structure, water control device, poster, notice, sign or marker, tree, shrub or other plant or vegetation, including dead timber and forest litter, or any object of archaeological, geological, historical, zoological or natural/environmental value or interest on Parks and Outdoor Recreation Lands. (This regulation does not include removal of firewood from designated firewood areas, noxious weeds as defined by statute, or recreational gold mining within the Arkansas Headwaters Recreation Area, except where prohibited as indicated by posted signs.). Click here to read the Rules and Regulations for State Parks

From here -http://www.eurekathc.com/localrules.php

They try to keep up with all the local rules.

Back
Top Bottom